Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 21 Match Day Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Most of the scores people have popsted here are way, way above the average of 31, assume ye've all captained Van Persie and he's come up trumps again, extraordinary how many people claimed to have captained Walcott last week and didn't this week, he was playing Southampton.
    I kept the armband on the young fella and have spent the morning frantically looking for clips of the OG hoping to minimize the capt fail after reading the comments here.

Definite OG. No chance of being awarded as a Walcott goal.

All my recent managerial decisions have been spectacular fails and the Walcott week (as it is now dubbed) stands alone as a freak piece of good fortune.

2.5K overall but totally undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm fúcking shít-scared of Suarez and Mata tonight.

come on Victor Moses the fúck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

GetWithIt wrote: »
    I kept the armband on the young fella and have spent the morning frantically looking for clips of the OG hoping to minimize the capt fail after reading the comments here.

Definite OG. No chance of being awarded as a Walcott goal.

All my recent managerial decisions have been spectacular fails and the Walcott week (as it is now dubbed) stands alone as a freak piece of good fortune.

2.5K overall but totally undeserved.

you made the decision. you deserve the rewards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

SlickRic wrote: »

Me too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Torres could be rested tonight based on Rafa's comments today and Baines and Pienaar are doubts. Baines picked up an ankle injury and Pienaar has a dead leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Newcastle just released a statement saying Chelsea have made an offer for Ba and he'll be meeting with them tonight. So he won't be playing. I honestly despair sometimes, everything that can go wrong for me happens.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Torres could be rested tonight based on Rafa's comments today and Baines and Pienaar are doubts. Baines picked up an ankle injury and Pienaar has a dead leg.

Ba is OUT tonight.

Chelsea offered 7 m thus activating his clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Who's going to play up front for them? Is Sturridge not gone?

Well this is good news. Makes a bit of a mess of my Wildcard plans though. Aguero looks set to be out for two weeks with his injury and really don't want to bring Suarez in.

Bit of a gamble to assume he will hit the ground running at Chelsea!

Cisse might now be an option at Newcastle.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ba is OUT tonight.

I have none of Ba, Pie or Baines. My rivals do however and their benches are crap. I'd be delighted if all 3 didn't play. Ba seems the only definite for now.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Ba is a definite. Who knows what him and his agents are up to. "His head might not be right" for Pardew to play him

confirmed. just saw posts on previous page. Ba/Torres roatation ahoy!

manual_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Ba is a definite. Who knows what him and his agents are up to. "His head might not be right" for Pardew to play him

confirmed. just saw posts on previous page. Ba/Torres roatation ahoy!

https://twitter.com/NUFCOfficial/status/286475114046967808

It's from the official Newcastle twitter that he's out. Doubt they'd stick that up if it was just agents talking shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That's what I'm wondering too, do they even have another striker on the books?

I'd be raging if he was resting, I brought him in just for this GW. Though it was for Tevez, who got a lofty 1 point, so at least it wouldn't be complete disaster zone if the worst happened.

It would strike me as crazy man-management not to give a striker who needs goals and confidence a crack at the worst team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Ba being out doesn't bother me too much. I have Puncheon coming off the bench for 5 points which will bring me to 50 with Mata, Sterling, Fellaini and Ceullar to play tonight.

Sure Roman thinks they're Spain. They'll play without strikers. He'll probably start but talk of rest and rotation always makes people nervous.

SlickRic wrote: »

come on Victor Moses the fúck!

Haha for the first time in an age I can break out the popcorn, pour myself a beer and shout both of them on.

In reality, ill be popping antibiotics and drinking lemsips but ye get the idea.

Mata was a risk to bring in but is a greater risk not to have if he starts. They could go mental tonight.

Suarez needs at least a goal or that Hernandez transfer out will be a disaster.

https://twitter.com/NUFCOfficial/status/286475114046967808

It's from the official Newcastle twitter that he's out. Doubt they'd stick that up if it was just agents talking shít.

i get that. only saw that after originally posted

That's what I'm wondering too, do they even have another striker on the books?

I'd be raging if he was resting, I brought him in just for this GW. Though it was for Tevez, who got a lofty 1 point, so at least it wouldn't be complete disaster zone if the worst happened.

It would strike me as crazy man-management not to give a striker who needs goals and confidence a crack at the worst team in the league.

Sure Roman thinks they're Spain. They'll play without strikers. He'll probably start but talk of rest and rotation always makes people nervous.

They probably will play a Spain formation. Something along the lines of

Hazard Marin Mata Oscar Moses
    _______Luiz Lampard _____

Not really though, he has to start, they've no one else to play there.

99 points ahead in my money league and realised my main rival has both Ba and Pienaer. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

:mad:

What did Rafa say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ba is OUT tonight.

Queue a big hike in price now,really messes with WC selection this....

dahat wrote: »
    Queue a big hike in price now,really messes with WC selection this....

In FF terms this transfer, i think, hampers both Torres and Ba.

I think id look elsewhere to get a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Ba will surely start games ahead of Torres, he's a much better target man.

OctavarIan wrote: »

begs the question though how much Abramovich has influence on the team selection. he was the one that sanctioned the 50m purchase of Torres after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Is it very unlikely we could see them both starting?

• Advertisement

I don't think the transfer will happen tbh.
    Ba has a very bad knee that Newcastle have been hush hush about for a few years. He still has to complete a medical at Chelsea and he has failed them at the last 3 clubs who wanted to sign him. Including Newcastle apparently. Chelsea could still turn him down which wouldn't surprise me at all.

manual_man wrote: »
    begs the question though how much Abramovich has influence on the team selection. he was the one that sanctioned the 50m purchase of Torres after all

I doubt he has too much influence on it to be honest. As long as the team are winning everything every season he seems happy out :pac:

Ba playing in front of Chelsea's creative midfield on paper screams 'field day'. He's more of a Drogba-esque finisher and I think he'll be way better for the team than Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

BroLo wrote: »
    Is it very unlikely we could see them both starting?

Ba did a job on the wing for Newcastle before wouldn't be surprised to see him lineup out there occasionally .

They probably will play a Spain formation. Something along the lines of

Hazard Marin Mata Oscar Moses
    _______Luiz Lampard _____

Not really though, he has to start, they've no one else to play there.

Why do people think Torres won't play tonight? Benitez said he needs to expect more time on the bench, but there's no suggestion that it will be starting tonight.

I expect him to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ba has a very bad knee that Newcastle have been hush hush about for a few years. He still has to complete a medical at Chelsea and he has failed them at the last 3 clubs who wanted to sign him. Including Newcastle apparently. Chelsea could still turn him down which wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think everyone knows about Ba's knee problems at the stage, so I doubt that'll be the stumbling block if there is one.

• Advertisement

Also regarding Ba's knee, it's not 'hush-hush' at all considering we know about it :p

£7m+wages to Chelsea is nothing, I'd say they'll take the risk.

in fairness since he's been at Newcastle he's rarely missed any games, and he's quite the beast strength-wise, although i'm sure thorough medicals will reveal if there is indeed anything to be worried about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

El festino wrote: »
    :mad:

What did Rafa say?

"I'm resting Torres cos I have Joey O'Brien as me first sub. That should see me over 50 for the week and into the next round of the cup."

roryc wrote: »

Why do people think Torres won't play tonight? Benitez said he needs to expect more time on the bench, but there's no suggestion that it will be starting tonight.

I expect him to play.

I didn't hear Benitez's comments but people were saying it sounded like Torres would be rested tonight. By what you're saying it must have been blown out of proportion

I think he'll play.

If its based on this I wouldn't read too much into it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/rafael-benitez-prepares-fernando-torres-for-the-bench-8434714.html

i REALLY need him to play, need the points AND need his value to rise.

Yeah Chelsea will probably take the risk on Ba, it will be interesting to see if he passes the medical though.
    In 2009 it was removed during emergency surgery at a German trauma clinic and in the course of that operation a tendon became damaged. A year later Hoffenheim sent him to the clinic of Ulrich Boenisch in Augsburg, who tidied up the knee but Ba failed medicals at Stuttgart and Stoke City before joining West Ham United.

He moved to Newcastle on a free transfer in 2011, agreeing a partial pay-as-you- play deal – understood to involve a basic £20,000 a week and another £20,000 for each appearance – after failing another medical.

"I don't need a surgeon to tell me about Demba's knee," Pardew said but he subsequently acknowledged that the striker suffers some discomfort in the knee joint.

The precise nature of the problem is a closely guarded secret. Pardew has described it as "a deficiency", revealed there "is a photograph [MRI scan] of Demba's knee looking very poorly" and indicated it will almost certainly cause him problems in the future.

One plausible theory is that chondral defects, namely the holes in the articular cartilage which spell bad news for footballers, could be involved but the issue has become something of a taboo subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Fizman wrote: »
    Before this GW I had a respectable 1039 points. Obviously I'm hoping for my big hitters to deliver tonight.

Jussi (2)
    Cuellar, Bassong (1), Shawcross(1)
    Caz (2), Michu (2), Mata (capt), Pienaar
    Defoe (2), Suarez, Ba

Just when I thought the week couldn't get any worse.......I then hear about Ba and Pienaar! Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Also regarding Ba's knee, it's not 'hush-hush' at all considering we know about it :p

£7m+wages to Chelsea is nothing, I'd say they'll take the risk.

Plus they're off loading Sturridge for a premium fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Ba out of tonight's match and now looks a rotation risk for the rest of the season. Very interested in how Papise Cisse plays tonight.
    Chelsea have triggered the release clause in Newcastle forward Demba Ba's contract.

Ba, 27, has been given permission to speak to Chelsea and will miss Wednesday's game against Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My score is a disaster, mainly stemming from not sticking the captaincy on Van Persie. I've slipped about a thousand places overall.

I need captain Suarez to do well and a good Chelsea result to salvage something from this week or I may have to have a long cry.

• Advertisement

"I'm resting Torres cos I have Joey O'Brien as me first sub. That should see me over 50 for the week and into the next round of the cup."
    Rafa was always a shrewd manager in the cups.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Plus they're off loading Sturridge for a premium fee.

Off loaded. He's gone and all. Didn't expect it to be that quick. Wonder how that affects Liverpools starting 11 going forward.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/liverpool-complete-sturridge-signing

Off loaded. He's gone and all. Didn't expect it to be that quick. Wonder how that affects Liverpools starting 11 going forward.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/liverpool-complete-sturridge-signing

He said he was leaving because he wants to play in a CF role. Good luck with that at Liverpool Danny

Yeah well at least he might get to play some football, that wasn't happening at Chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nooooooo have the 2 Everton lads.

Well Pienaar missing out wouldnt be too bad as Puncheon would come in, but definitely want that useless fukker Baines to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Pienaar not playing? Osman on bench, maybe will pick some points from this game, but not to many...
    Hope Suarez scores few tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bloody hope Suarez gets the Narvovirus before kick off tonight.....need him to have a non event of a game...

Bloody hope Suarez gets the Narvovirus before kick off tonight.....need him to have a non event of a game...

He's getting sent off after 5 minutes for arguing with the ref over the own goal he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's one of those nights where I want Liverpool to score a bucketload, because we fúcking well need the win.

but FF-wise, it'd be a bonus if Cuellar gets a cleanie.

i shouldn't need the cleanie too much, as long as Suarez keeps his scoring down to a minimum.

Liverpool winning 4-0 with a range of scorers that have nothing to do with Suarez would be awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Mata to be dropped tonight hopefully ;)

Advertisement