Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayo roundabouts?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

do all the roundabouts in castlebar use the left lane only for the first exit ?

there's 2 small roundabouts coming in from breaffy(passing by harvey norman)-do they have 2 lanes?

thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

M cebee wrote: »
    do all the roundabouts in castlebar use the left lane only for the first exit ?
    No, as bad as they are, they're not even consistent. Coming in on the N5 westbound, for example, that approach to the roundabout uses the standard lane layout.
    there's 2 small roundabouts coming in from breaffy(passing by harvey norman)-do they have 2 lanes?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, as bad as they are, they're not even consistent. Coming in on the N5 westbound, for example, that approach to the roundabout uses the standard lane layout.

It also goes against the rules of the road, where you are disallowed from using the right hand lane when you're going straight on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the word 'bonkers' springs to mind

the signage seems poor so i suppose it helps to be familiar with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i had a roadrage incident because the other driver didnt know the special layout of Castlebar roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

They really need to erect bigger signs indicating the correct lane to use for those roundabouts, the signs that are currently there are far too small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    i had a roadrage incident because the other driver didnt know the special layout of Castlebar roundabouts.

Very common occurrence in Cbar all down to the stupidity of these roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

You see, there's a fallback scenario for the authorities, by saying "local rules apply". I actually get nervous about using roundabouts in other towns, especially bigger towns or cities, as a result of "learning" how to use roundabouts in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There was a Town Council motion brought to change these dangerous markings last year after a serious accident, councillors once again voted to keep the current layout, pure lunacy. Thankfully it seems to be limited to Castlebar.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

nicol wrote: »
    They really need to erect bigger signs indicating the correct lane to use for those roundabouts...
    Or stop shítehawkin' and use the accepted standard lane layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Or stop shítehawkin' and use the accepted standard lane layout.
    Apparently the Castlebar roundabouts are too small to use the standard layout.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Neworder79 wrote: »
    There was a Town Council motion brought to change these dangerous markings last year after a serious accident, councillors once again voted to keep the current layout, pure lunacy. Thankfully it seems to be limited to Castlebar.

The only other place I've seen it was in Kerry, think it might have been Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Nearly sure Roscommon town has them, but I stand to be corrected. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

clogher71 wrote: »
    Nearly sure Roscommon town has them, but I stand to be corrected. . . .

I'm in Roscommon quite a bit. To the best of my knowledge all roundabouts are normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I must be thinking of another town :), I know I pass through some town, Bundoran now springs to mind for some reason :rolleyes:, one of the ones I had in mind was at the turn off for Dunnes if you driving from Caseys empty showroom to Kanes VW dealership.

Advertisement