Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine supplement for dogs?

• 01-01-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's okay to give a standard 'human' glucosamine supplement to a dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would say yes because I use 2 kinds for my guy - one is a liquid one called Flexicose that comes in human and pet form - they state on their website that there's no difference between the two of them except the label. I've actually been giving the 'human' one for months now because when I ran out in the summer there was an offer on and they'd sold out of the pet one and again assured me there was no difference ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for that tk, I bought some in Aldi yesterday of the tablet variety for one of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They brand it for dogs and then up the prices. Holland and Barret do the dog ones as well..if you go when they have a sale on it's worth checking out. I'm using Vets Kitchen atm but it's pricey, but that's coz I've two dogs on it atm. I noticed a quicker difference between giving them the joint care ones (pedigree or tesco brand) and the vets kitchen, the pedigree/tesco joint care sticks acted a lot quicker but I didn't want to be feeding them all the additives that are in them plus one of them needs to loose some weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I've heard doctors swear by it and condemn it. Be it placebo or not, the anecdotal evidence is there (though realistically speaking, one shouldn't be treating based on anecdote). AFAIK, glucosamine has never been proven to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Good info on dosage rate for dogs, here:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html#glucosamine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I just give my dachshunds a tine of sardines (bones and all) every week and raw chicken wings every few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gumbi wrote: »
    I've heard doctors swear by it and condemn it. Be it placebo or not, the anecdotal evidence is there (though realistically speaking, one shouldn't be treating based on anecdote). AFAIK, glucosamine has never been proven to work.

Well I can tell you 100% it works on my guy - much to the shock and amazement of any vets who see him when they ask what pain medication he's on and I tell them just the 2 joint supplements! :p I ran out of the flexicose months ago and decided to see how he got on without since it's pricey compared to other supplements - he was lame after a few days so back on it straight away and back to normal again eg :

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

tk123 wrote: »

Well I can tell you 100% it works on my guy - much to the shock and amazement of any vets who see him when they ask what pain medication he's on and I tell them just the 2 joint supplements! :p I ran out of the flexicose months ago and decided to see how he got on without since it's pricey compared to other supplements - he was lame after a few days so back on it straight away and back to normal again.
    That's good to hear! I'm happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Friend of mine with arthritis was recommended by her doctor to take a supplement of Glucosamine & Clondroiton combined (sorry can't spell it) for her joints. She says she finds it helps also people give it to racehorses I believe. I've seen big bags of the glucosamine in the horse area of a hardware shop too. :)

Advertisement