Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragus piercing suddenly giving bother after 4 years

Options
  • 01-01-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I got up 2 days ago with a sore tragus piercing ; it felt as if someone gave me a wallop on my ear.
    Yesterday evening, the joint of my jaw and my cheek started to get sore, so I took the bar out this morning.
    I had that piercing done more than 4 years ago, never had any bother at all with it until a few days ago. Taking it out doesn't really make any difference, though the piercing is still sore. There's no inflammation, no redness just a bit of swelling, and pain (but not that much).
    I love that piercing, and I don't want it to close up. Is it rare that it gets sore and possibly infected so late after being pierced ? I've never had it with any other piercings before. And what can I do to prevent it closing up but at the same time letting it heal.
    The bar that was in the piercing is good quality ; there's no corrosion or change in colour in the metal.
    Is anyone able to shed any light on it ? Many thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Have you been unwell or very run down lately? Piercings tend to give you some trouble if your immune system is low, even if they're well healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you had anything in your ears eg headphones/earbuds lately? Mine always gives me bother if I'm using a stethoscope for a length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

I seem to have a sudden reaction to the bar. I took it out, and the pain slowly cleared up. Because I didn't want the piercing to close, I popped in another stud this afternoon, and within 5 minutes, my face felt like it was sun burnt, and I had an itchy/burning pain from the piercing. I took the stud out pronto, and it cleared up again.
    I suppose my body is just rejecting it, goodness knows why. It doesn't really make sense, I've no trouble with the other piercings I have.
    I've had a lingering cold for the past few weeks, just like about half of the population I guess.
    No headphones or earbuds used, the only thing that might possibly have triggered a reaction was a very cheap pair of earrings a day or so before, but that was in my ear lobes, not tragus.
    Ach sure, you win some, you loose some I guess. It's an excellent excuse to get another tattoo done ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

You could maybe try a pfte stud or the likes (no metal in it) and see if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

carlarua wrote: »
    I've had a lingering cold for the past few weeks, just like about half of the population I guess.

There's your cause right there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

Thanks for that Damo, I had no idea that had such an effect on piercings. Would that be the reason that occasionally, in a tattoo, the ''inked'' places are itchy and raised for a few hours, even though the tattoo is there for many years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah it can do. It's not always the cause, but your body can do crazy stuff sometimes when trying to fight off infections. It's essentially ramping your immune system into overdrive, and it's trying then to close up your piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i experienced the same with all of my piercings, when i get sick. my body suddenly tries to reject them (without an infection tho) and after my health is fully back...no problems or weird feelings at all...

Advertisement