Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox S v PS3

Options
  • 01-01-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

So I currently have an Xbox :D

I'm looking at getting new new S version but I was also looking at the PS3 Slim.

I've always liked the Xbox especially the controllers as I find the PS ones very small!

So what are the pro's and con's of each console?

I enjoy playing the like's of GTA, Ace Combat, COD, LA Noire etc.

* Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So I currently have an Xbox :D

I'm looking at getting new new S version but I was also looking at the PS3 Slim.

I've always liked the Xbox especially the controllers as I find the PS ones very small!

So what are the pro's and con's of each console?

I enjoy playing the like's of GTA, Ace Combat, COD, LA Noire etc.

* Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section*

No difference at this stage really. Other than what you have said. Xbox you pay for online gaming, PS3 is free. I am the same with the controllers, the PS one is torture to use and always has been IMO.

The new consoles (Xbox720/PS4) will be announced this year at E3.

I'm an Ace Combat fan myself, own them all. Ace Combat 6 only came out on the 360 and is very good if you like the AC series, the story is muck though but gameplay is good.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon is terrible and wrecked the series, quick time events and some on rails gameplay with on rails boss dogfights, just woeful. Its out on all consoles.

GTA4 looks slightly better on the 360 than the PS3. I have both versions. GTA5 is due in March. All the other games you mentioned are on both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Free online hey :cool:

I don't play online much but if its free well why not ;)

I'm like a kid waiting for GTA 5 but I want to have my new console buy the time it's released and I would say with the new vehicles available and talk of even better free roaming that online would be pretty cool.

Is there any know problems with the consoles at present?

Only the PS3 has free online gaming, the 360 has better online chat/group support and costs around €40 per year for Live. Sony has a PSN plus service for €50 per year and offer free games to download for as long as you are a member.

Both consoles are more or less free of issues now. The 360 still get the odd RROD failure but MS will replace/repair them for free and very quick to do so.

The PS3 have rare issues with the optical drive packing in the odd time. I don't know what Sony are like to deal with there as I still have an old phat PS3 and still going fine. But I've had 2 RROD failures between 4 360 consoles over 7 years so not bad really.

Only the PS3 has free online gaming, the 360 has better online chat/group support and costs around €40 per year for Live. Sony has a PSN plus service for €50 per year and offer free games to download for as long as you are a member.

Both consoles are more or less free of issues now. The 360 still get the odd RROD failure but MS will replace/repair them for free and very quick to do so.

The PS3 have rare issues with the optical drive packing in the odd time. I don't know what Sony are like to deal with there as I still have an old phat PS3 and still going fine. But I've had 2 RROD failures between 4 360 consoles over 7 years so not bad really.

Id expect some issue's anyway but all seems good....Guess I'll just have to try both out and see!

Then run to collect GTA 5 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Keep your money in your wallet till after E3 consoles drop a few quid if there's news of a release

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

On the ps3 I still have the original from launch the fan is running a bit loud but still doing the job for me

Wils110 wrote: »
    Keep your money in your wallet till after E3 consoles drop a few quid if there's news of a release

Ah OK great, Is there a date set for that?
    Wils110 wrote: »
    On the ps3 I still have the original from launch the fan is running a bit loud but still doing the job for me

I've always found the Xbox fan pretty loud so I wont be to bothered I wouldn't think

Ah OK great, Is there a date set for that?

I've always found the Xbox fan pretty loud so I wont be to bothered I wouldn't think

E3 2013 is June 10-14.

E3 2013 is June 10-14.

Ouch that's 3 months after GTA 5 release :eek:

I see the 12, 120, 259, 500 GB versions...is the 500 worth the extra few quid or will it ever be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not a huge difference. I prefer the size of the 360 controller too, though the D-pad is spongy and inaccurate. The newer 360 is a lot quieter than the old model, but it still is louder than the PS3 (unless you install every game on the hard drive).

There aren't as many console-exclusives as there used to be; but IME when a game is available for both the PS3 version often looks a little worse. I don't think it's down to the console's horsepower (as the big-name games look amazing on both), perhaps the PS3 is just harder to develop for.

Of course, built-in Bluray is a big plus for the PS3.

• Advertisement

Ouch that's 3 months after GTA 5 release :eek:

I see the 12, 120, 259, 500 GB versions...is the 500 worth the extra few quid or will it ever be needed?

PS3 get the 120gig, if you fill it you can get a 1TB drive for about €50 and put it in yourself, that's what I did with my old 60gig. If you get a PSN plus sub you will fill it with all those "free" games.

PS3 get the 120gig, if you fill it you can get a 1TB drive for about €50 and put it in yourself, that's what I did with my old 60gig. If you get a PSN plus sub you will fill it with all those "free" games.

Ah great I'll do that so..Will there be a significant price drop after June or will I just buy before GTA 5?

who_me wrote: »
    There aren't as many console-exclusives as there used to be; but IME when a game is available for both the PS3 version often looks a little worse. I don't think it's down to the console's horsepower (as the big-name games look amazing on both), perhaps the PS3 is just harder to develop for.

The GPU in the 360 is more powerful than the one in the PS3. The CPU in the PS3 is a monster compared to the 360 CPU but it's like sticking a V8 in a Fiesta. It's the GPU that does most of the graphical work. Also the RAM is limited in how it's split on the PS3, 256 for the system and 256 for graphics textures. The 360 has 512 and can be divided up in game functions as the developers want, so it's easier for them to optomize performance than the PS3.

The 360 versions generally do look better and have higher frame rates but some PS3 exclusives look better than alot of 360 games. It's strange at times. But in general you would be pushed to tell them apart.

Ah great I'll do that so..Will there be a significant price drop after June or will I just buy before GTA 5?

No idea, no one really knows. Up to yourself really. I think right now they are as good as valve for money as you are going to get even if the price drops further. Either console.

I paid €520 for a launch day 20gb 360 and €639 for a 60gb phat PS3 as I wanted the PS2 gameplay ability which has been removed from the newer PS3s. I got my value for money out the 360 more than the PS3 but that's because I only use the PS3 for exclusives because of the controller issue I have.

Think I'm leaning towards the 360......I'm a sucker for great graphics and if I have a ps3 id only keep wondering how good certain games may be on the 360 :o

Think I'm leaning towards the 360......I'm a sucker for great graphics and if I have a ps3 id only keep wondering how good certain games may be on the 360 :o

I'm not the biggest gamer in the world, but I had a 360 for about two years (before it red-ringed on me). Only played GTA IV on it, really. Occasionally a WWE game would find it's way into the disc tray, or Project Gotham Racing. Mostly just IV though.

After it red-ringed (June 2012, I'd say) I knew i'd need a new console for GTA V, but didn't plan to get one until it came out.

Dad picked me up a 12GB version of the PS3 for Christmas, which I was happy with. Haven't really overly played it yet (as I'm still awaiting GTA V, though I plan to get Playstation Plus at some point in the near future).

I wanted to get a PS3 instead of a 360 for V incase it did end up going across multiple discs on the 360 (ala LA Noire) and that'd ruin the game for me.

However, I agree with what has been said already; The PS3 joypad is pants. Having gotten used to the 360 joypad, the PS3 one is atrocious to use.

So much so, I was looking to see if I could pick up a 360 joypad for the PS3 (I thought some third party company may have made one) but can only seem to find some weird adaptor thingy on Amazon, and people complain about lag when using it. So there doesn't seem to be a solution to the joypad issue (I initially hoped that I might get away with using the Wireless Receiver for my PC on the PS3, but a quick google shot that idea down fairly swiftly).

So it seems there are compromises for both. Personally, I'm just hoping the PS3 joypad will grow on me.

I wanted to get a PS3 instead of a 360 for V incase it did end up going across multiple discs on the 360 (ala LA Noire) and that'd ruin the game for me

What's the problem with multi disc on the Xbox S?

What's the problem with multi disc on the Xbox S?

Well LA Noire spans across 3 discs on the 360, but is a single-disc release on the PS3. The general consesus on most GTA forums is that V will have to repeat this unfortunately (although no one actually really knows for sure... well, not yet, anyway).

So I picked a PS3 over the 360 as having to swap discs around during a random Police chase, for example, would wreck the experience for me (though it's really personal preference, so...).

Playing LA Noire at the moment...good game!

If the PS is less powerful how one some games come in single disc?

What is the best GB Box to get bearing in mind i can get a hard drive anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I paid €520 for a launch day 20gb 360 .........

Unless that was some bundle you got I'd say you paid €100 over the odds. XBox 360 launch price was €420.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Playing LA Noire at the moment...good game!

If the PS is less powerful how one some games come in single disc?

The PS3 isn't less powerful, but the reason it's on a single disc is because it's a Blu Ray disc and their capacity is far higher than a dvd, which the Xbox uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Vyse wrote: »
    Unless that was some bundle you got I'd say you paid €100 over the odds. XBox 360 launch price was €420.

I assume it was the same bundle I got, 360 with Perfect Dark, PGR Racing and an extra joypad, day one in DID....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you could only have one console right now I think it has to be the PS3 just because of the incredible value that PS+ offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

I own a 360, but I wish four years ago when I bought it, I bought a PS3 instead. All the games I have are on both systems, the difference is, I would have saved myself money every year (JOKE!) on an Xbox live subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

For the first time in I say 3 years I turned on my 360 tonight , reasons were I was updating dc universe on the playstation ( took 9 hrs ) and recently won far cry 3 from bone idle ( thxs guys ). Played gears 2 and loved it, defo going to finish it now. My point being is that the consoles are pretty much the same bar paying online which I would have loved to have done tonight on gears but couldn't sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I don't play online much but if its free well why not ;)

I'm like a kid waiting for GTA 5 but I want to have my new console buy the time it's released and I would say with the new vehicles available and talk of even better free roaming that online would be pretty cool.

You never played GTA 4 online?

Great fun its like a whole new game, mental to be honest teaming up with other players and going on a rampage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

Well LA Noire spans across 3 discs on the 360, but is a single-disc release on the PS3. The general consesus on most GTA forums is that V will have to repeat this unfortunately (although no one actually really knows for sure... well, not yet, anyway).

So I picked a PS3 over the 360 as having to swap discs around during a random Police chase, for example, would wreck the experience for me (though it's really personal preference, so...).

OT, sorry, but wouldn't you have to just install the 3-4 GTA V discs at purchase, and then only need one disc for the cd key? And not remove and insert discs like you make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm not the biggest gamer in the world, but I had a 360 for about two years (before it red-ringed on me). Only played GTA IV on it, really. Occasionally a WWE game would find it's way into the disc tray, or Project Gotham Racing. Mostly just IV though.

After it red-ringed (June 2012, I'd say) I knew i'd need a new console for GTA V, but didn't plan to get one until it came out.

Dad picked me up a 12GB version of the PS3 for Christmas, which I was happy with. Haven't really overly played it yet (as I'm still awaiting GTA V, though I plan to get Playstation Plus at some point in the near future).

I wanted to get a PS3 instead of a 360 for V incase it did end up going across multiple discs on the 360 (ala LA Noire) and that'd ruin the game for me.

However, I agree with what has been said already; The PS3 joypad is pants. Having gotten used to the 360 joypad, the PS3 one is atrocious to use.

So much so, I was looking to see if I could pick up a 360 joypad for the PS3 (I thought some third party company may have made one) but can only seem to find some weird adaptor thingy on Amazon, and people complain about lag when using it. So there doesn't seem to be a solution to the joypad issue (I initially hoped that I might get away with using the Wireless Receiver for my PC on the PS3, but a quick google shot that idea down fairly swiftly).

So it seems there are compromises for both. Personally, I'm just hoping the PS3 joypad will grow on me.

I haven't tried one myself, but there are plenty of unofficial Playstation joypads that are similar to the Xbox one, here's a cheap one in Argos. (wired though)

• Advertisement

So I bought the............................Xbox :D

Great design, very quiet and Xbox live is amazing :cool:

Sniper Elite V2 Demo is Epic as is Spec Ops The Line :cool:

Advertisement