Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here has an NFC enabled smartphone?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Okay, I know Ireland is lacking behind in mobile technology and telecommunication (4G anyone? tongue.png )

But who here has a phone with near field communication, and who actually uses it?

Who here has an NFC enabled smartphone? 45 votes

Yep, I got one!
    0% 0 votes
    Um... I can make texts now?
    100% 45 votes

Comments

I use it to put my phone into a sort of sleep mode (disable wifi/data mute sound etc) at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have it on my S3 but I have no idea what to do with NFC or what it's actually good for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if it's too early to launch a NFC product in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

A lot of mobiles have them but people don't see the use for them.
    I have a tag by the bed to toggle the phone into "sleep" mode (silent and set alarm).
    I have another in the car holder that switches bluetooth on/off and car dock mode on/off.
    I find them very handy.

markad1 wrote: »
    A lot of mobiles have them but people don't see the use for them.

Yeah, I think that sums up the current situation,
    I just wish apple added it to the iphone 5,...they're just delaying everything. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No, seems to be the new bluetooth which never really took off (other than the odd person with a bluetooth headset or hands free kit).

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that sums up the current situation,
    I just wish apple added it to the iphone 5,...they're just delaying everything. :mad:

Delaying what exactly? Another way to be bombarded with advertising, another marketing fad like QR codes?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No, seems to be the new bluetooth which never really took off (other than the odd person with a bluetooth headset or hands free kit).

NFC is huge in the US & Japan, we're just a bit behind unfortunately :/

NFC is huge in the US & Japan, we're just a bit behind unfortunately :/

Or is it just another fad until the next big thing appears? I'm with Apple on this one (for once).

Delaying what exactly? Another way to be bombarded with advertising, another marketing fad like QR codes?

NFC Payments for one.

• Advertisement

Or is it just another fad until the next big thing appears? I'm with Apple on this one (for once).

The only reason apple doesn't include NFC is because they have patented their own alternative. iNFC lol :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57534311-37/apple-patent-award-teases-nfc-alternative-in-iphones-future/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ye guys aren't creative enough.

I have them all over the house
    • one beside bed to silence phone
    • one at door to connect guests to wifi
    • two on laptop, one to turn on hotspot, other to launch syncing apps (swiftp and airdroid) so I can quickly access phone from laptop
    • one beside cooker to set a 3 timer for my eggs

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ye guys aren't creative enough.

I have them all over the house
    • one beside bed to silence phone
    • one at door to connect guests to wifi
    • two on laptop, one to turn on hotspot, other to launch syncing apps (swiftp and airdroid) so I can quickly access phone from laptop
    • one beside cooker to set a 3 timer for my eggs

Don't forget NFC Door locks! :)

The only reason apple doesn't include NFC is because they have patented their own alternative. iNFC lol :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57534311-37/apple-patent-award-teases-nfc-alternative-in-iphones-future/

The only reason? Hardly.

NFC Payments for one.

What's the benefit when I already have a Credit Card and of course cash? I save 30 seconds? Or don't need to take out my wallet? Not compelling.

What's the benefit when I already have a Credit Card and of course cash? I save 30 seconds? Or don't need to take out my wallet? Not compelling.

I was in the USA a few months ago, NFC is everywhere, all shops, even in taxi's. Leave your wallet at home and just bring your phone to work for the few small transactions you do daily.

The only reason? Hardly.

Their history of locked down software and proprietary connectors tells us that Apple won't release it until they have bastardised it to their own restricted POS that's guaranteed not to be compatible with what's already available everywhere.

I was in the USA a few months ago, NFC is everywhere, all shops, even in taxi's. Leave your wallet at home and just bring your phone to work for the few small transactions you do daily.

Call me a luddite but I'll stick with my wallet. Don't see any benefit to the consumer here. If I lose my wallet I'm in trouble, if I lose my phone I'm equally in trouble.

You can't get your cash stolen for one.

And if you got your phone stolen, you can remote wipe, track its location, and take images of the thief. Actually, here's a real life example.

Now at the moment NFC isn't great, mobile payments, nfc tags, and business cards is about all it's got going for itself. But in a few years, it's gonna be huge.

Anyway, all that's irrelevant as my product is only targeted towards 800,000 people. So I'm not here to fight the case for NFC, I'd just like to know who has it, that's all.

Call me a luddite but I'll stick with my wallet. Don't see any benefit to the consumer here. If I lose my wallet I'm in trouble, if I lose my phone I'm equally in trouble.

It's a new tech that's very early in it's infancy. In time you won't even need a wallet, yes, this is where it's going.

• Advertisement

It's a new tech that's very early in it's infancy. In time you won't even need a wallet, yes, this is where it's going.

The sdame way we Irish don't use cheques?

The sdame way we Irish don't use cheques?

The day will come when they will refuse to give customers cheque books, paperwork is just so messy and time consuming. All new bank cards are NFC enabled, I got a new Visa Debit from AIB last week that has NFC.

The US doesn't use Chip & PIN for example so there is no reason to assume NFC will take off here just because it seems to have in the US.

The US doesn't use Chip & PIN for example so there is no reason to assume NFC will take off here just because it seems to have in the US.

It will because the banks are pushing it. London Bus enabled it on their busses last month: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694027
    It's only a matter of time before we follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't really know what NFC is or means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

doovdela wrote: »
    I don't really know what NFC is or means?

NFC stands for "Near Field Communication". It's a fairly new technology (your Samsung S3 has it built in) and what it basically means is that you can set your phone to do certain tasks or enable different profiles depending on what way your NFC tag is programmed.

You can buy NFC tags (they're like little plasters with micro-chips in them) that you can program to do things like what previous posters have suggested once your phone is detected within the general vicinity.

The whole mobile payments thing is the idea that you keep your credit card info stored on the phone, and if you've ever seen the barclaycard advert where the guy sweeps his card across the pay point instead of having to hand it to the cashier- same principle, you just swipe your phone across the NFC point and it'll take the money from your credit card account using the details stored on your phone.

As the other posters were saying- big in the States and Japan, but could take a while to be adopted on a mass scale in Europe.

It definitely needs more work, but as chips become able to store more and more info, it has the potential to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Have NFC, was playing around with it for a while with tags, but got bored eventually.

Id automate my alarms and my WiFi and data would always remain over night while charging (that's when Titanium does its back up thingy :)

Not bothered about power as its just a quick pull down bar.

I'm just waiting for the day that I can leave the wallet at home and use my phone. I have my college ID and my leap card, both of which use NFC. It would be cool if likes of Tesco, Xtravision and other cards could be replaced with an app that goes into the wallet function.

That's what I'm waiting for, might sound weird but I hate carrying around my wallet, its big and bulky and takes up too much space. I never really carry around cash either so its just a card holder and ID holder for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

There's NFC on my Lumia 920 but the implementation by Microsoft is borked: you can only trigger a preset list of basic functions (eg open Bluetooth settings but NOT toggle Bluetooth itself), and even then every NFC scan must be confirmed with an on-screen dialogue. Completely defeating the convenience.

I'm looking forward to a future where my bank card, super valu card, subway card etc are on my phone and i only have to tap the checkout register with my phone to process everything. Neato!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

One X and I haven't bought a single NFC tag so far.

That said... the new prepaid tickets from Dublin Bus are all NFC enabled so I have a few of them set up. My student card (which is in my wallet) is set to open up my timetable (So I tap my phone against my pocket to open up the day's timetable). It's very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I have a Nokia C7. It finally got full NFC functionality with the Belle update, but it's been so long since Symbian was popular I don't think anyone's ever done anything interesting with it.

Advertisement