Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here has an NFC enabled smartphone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I have an iPhone 5 and it does feck all.

What enables NFC in the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

My student card (which is in my wallet) is set to open up my timetable (So I tap my phone against my pocket to open up the day's timetable). It's very useful.

Bit of course. Would you not just enter your timetable into the calendar and use a widget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I have an iPhone 5 and it does feck all.

What enables NFC in the phone?

No NFC in an iPhone 5

I'm not comfortable with NFC payment devices such as contactless credit cards. I'm not yet convinced that the system is secure and as such I don't trust it.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Their history of locked down software and proprietary connectors tells us that Apple won't release it until they have bastardised it to their own restricted POS that's guaranteed not to be compatible with what's already available everywhere.
    They really are worse than Microsoft now and that's what I feared a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

cookie1977 wrote: »

No NFC in an iPhone 5

Yeah but like is it a chip or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jamez735 wrote: »

Anyway, all that's irrelevant as my product is only targeted towards 800,000 people. So I'm not here to fight the case for NFC, I'd just like to know who has it, that's all.

This would only be a very small representative group though......
    Wouldn't it be better if you could find out the sales figures of all NFC enabled smartphones in the country? (they may be available somewhere)
    I have a GS3 which I believe is NFC capable however I never use it, nor have I yet to see where I could use it.
    To be honest, I'd be happier if they spent more time trying to develop better batteries and/or enhance the software to be smarter about power saving than dedicicate time to NFC technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yeah but like is it a chip or something?

It's a chip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with NFC payment devices such as contactless credit cards. I'm not yet convinced that the system is secure and as such I don't trust it.

They really are worse than Microsoft now and that's what I feared a few years ago.

Wasn't there a proof of concept app for android that could lift Card Details from contactless credit cards, just by being within a foot or so of them? I remain to be convinced it is secure too.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Wasn't there a proof of concept app for android that could lift Card Details from contactless credit cards, just by being within a foot or so of them? I remain to be convinced it is secure too.

Nate

Could be. Android isn't the most secure thing on the planet, as far as I'm aware though. NFC won't activate with screen off. IRS the way it works with my S3 anyway.

Maybe its a bit secure on WP8. Either way you can add a password or a pin to authorize any transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Nate
    Could be. Android isn't the most secure thing on the planet, as far as I'm aware though. NFC won't activate with screen off. IRS the way it works with my S3 anyway.

Maybe its a bit secure on WP8. Either way you can add a password or a pin to authorize any transaction

Yeah, there was an app on Play for a while by a German security researcher

It's nothing to do with Android being secure or not + it was from bank cards not card details on phone.

It's the NFC that's being exploited - if you want to call it that - it doesn't encrypt the card details, it's not making a transaction there and then, just gets the details

the app lifted the name, card number & 3 digits security code - enough to buy stuff online with

you can see them details anyway if you get a persons card but now often will people actually have your bank card?
    not that often, probably never in some cases, and not long enough to remember those numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. Basically you phone could steal Card details by standing next to holders of contactless cards, like on a bus or something. Scary thought.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. Basically you phone could steal Card details by standing next to holders of contactless cards, like on a bus or something. Scary thought.

Nate

No different to someone picking your pocket, therefore you have a PIN for security

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ive a lumia 920 yellow and gnote 2 and ive only used it once.
    It will be sometime yet before it catches on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bit of course. Would you not just enter your timetable into the calendar and use a widget
    That's a monumental amount of effort. Trinity use a system that's almost impossible to integrate with Google Calendar without writing a script. It's easier just to open the browser on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No different to someone picking your pocket, therefore you have a PIN for security

It's a fair bit different.

It's completely different

+ they don't need your PIN

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It's completely different

+ they don't need your PIN

Anyone who you present your Bank Card to has access to this info, any store you call it out to on the phone has it also. NFC on smartphones will need a PIN or some sort of user verification and will not work while the phone is locked. My point is using cards is no more insecure than it's ever been, all the more reason to move to electronic devices that require verification.

Anyone who you present your Bank Card to has access to this info, any store you call it out to on the phone has it also. NFC on smartphones will need a PIN or some sort of user verification and will not work while the phone is locked.

Yeah i know that the details it takes are visible anyway

This is just about NFC with bank cards though

who would you be given your bank card to for long enough that they'd remember your name, 16 digit number & 3 digit security code, rain man?

I think on XDA there's mods to make NFC work when the screen is locked

who would you be given your bank card to for long enough that they'd remember your name, 16 digit number & 3 digit security code, rain man?

I don't expect a human to remember it, cameras are tiny these days
    I think on XDA there's mods to make NFC work when the screen is locked

Yes, user installable mods, as with any security, the human themselves are the weakest link.

I don't expect a human to remember it, cameras are tiny these days

Yes, user installable mods, as with any security, the human themselves are the weakest link.

it's easier for someone to have a NFC card skimming app installed than use a tiny camera though, as you don't even need the person to take it out & you'd be able to target far more people, etc.

anyway i'm not too bothered by it, all tin foil hat :pac: & think NFC bank cards are a good idea, just know it can be done easily enough

this is going OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Is there a way to make the phone output what your student card (or any other card) puts out? So that I'll be able to just open an app and put the phone over the door lock instead of my card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Not really contactless if I need a PIN for peace of mind.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Not really contactless if I need a PIN for peace of mind.

You just need to unlock the phone, this requires a pin or whatever security you choose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What apps are people using? I played with it on my HTC One X when I first got it but soon tired of it, the implementation wasn't the best (disabled on lock for example, useful to know there's a workaround) and the apps were as ugly and unusable as Tasker. (Although Tasker really is in a league of its own on that front.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That was one of the ones I was using, but it does look a bit more usable now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

Which NFC Tags should I go for to ensure future compatibility? It seems the most popular are MiFare Classic tags but these are not compliant with the NFC Forum standard and the newer phones such as Nexus 4 from Google won't work with MiFare classic tags because Google are sticking to the standard. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s16Cs9Ep5Ag

Ntag203 tags seem to be the recommended 'NFC Forum Standard' tags but will they work with existing NFC enabled phones such as the Samsung Note II?

I want to implement some NFC tag's but don't want to end up in a situation where the tags aren't compliant with future NFC phone technology.

I'm confused.com :confused:

Can someone clarify?

Ben

Advertisement