Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip-Hop 2013

1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

EarlWolf playing live at a Rockstar event last night. Best dressed rappers since Dipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Not sure if this has been discussed on here yet but what in god's name is Kanye doing in that interview with Sway from last week. I've lost any morsel of respect I once had for him. For people who haven't seen it here it is.

The freestyle 32 mins in is something else.

New Busta & Q-Tip track. Mixtape is dropping tomorrow!

https://www.soundcloud.com/showmoneyggg/busta-rhymes-q-tip-butch

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Oxymoron finally has a release date, 25th February!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

HighClass wrote: »
    Really liking Gambinos new album after a few listens. I was never a big fan of his other stuff but it's really good. Production is on point.

You should listen and read along to this and watch the clips.

http://becausetheinter.net/

Kendrick got a huge amount of credit for his concept album, this takes it way further and uses alll media outlets. He even got the whole Roscoes Wetsuit thing a bit viral. And, in all his recent interviews, he's been in character of The Boy (allegedly, need to rewatch some of them).

Anyone know where I can listen to Because the Internet or why none of the songs bar about three aren't on youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can listen to Because the Internet or why none of the songs bar about three aren't on youtube?

try your local record store or itunes. And I am being a smartarse but seriously, you've listened to three songs, if you like them then why not buy the album? A lot of effort seems to have gone into packaging etc.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You should listen and read along to this and watch the clips.

Kendrick got a huge amount of credit for his concept album, this takes it way further and uses alll media outlets. He even got the whole Roscoes Wetsuit thing a bit viral. And, in all his recent interviews, he's been in character of The Boy (allegedly, need to rewatch some of them).

I am gonna listen and have the full experience during Christmas Break, when I'm less busy. However, I think the comparison to GCMC might be a bit pointless because while GKMC was a concept album in itself, BTI seems to be only part of a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

spotify has the album

• Advertisement

Jezek wrote: »
    try your local record store or itunes. And I am being a smartarse but seriously, you've listened to three songs, if you like them then why not buy the album? A lot of effort seems to have gone into packaging etc.

I have literally no money at all at the moment. Like seriously; none. I plan to buy it as soon as I get some. Thanks for being absolutely no help whatsoever though.

I have literally no money at all at the moment. Like seriously; none. I plan to buy it as soon as I get some. Thanks for being absolutely no help whatsoever though.

Sorry mane, no malice meant! Back on the topic though, I think you can stream it from Itunes if it looks like you're in america, which you can do with various browser extensions.

The ful album (expect a mystery bonus track) is on this page:

As you go through, you'll see the songs embedded.
    I am gonna listen and have the full experience during Christmas Break, when I'm less busy. However, I think the comparison to GCMC might be a bit pointless because while GKMC was a concept album in itself, BTI seems to be only part of a concept.

Not a pointless comparison at all, both tell a story start to end. Because The Internet standalone does this but uses alot of 'internet' mediums to enhance the experience. It's taken the concept of a concept album to a higher level.

I'm still blown away by it after investing some time in it yesterday.

There is a rapper out of MPLS called Homeless that I may have mentioned here once or twice before. He just released a new album with a band called The VanGoBots, album is called Twenty-Dirt and can be streamed here:

http://homeless.bandcamp.com/album/twenty-dirt

I really like this, I was recently having a discussion with a friend about using live bands for recording and performances, and we both agree that it doesn't work in general. This is an exception to that though, there is no real extended live instumental fanfare going on, like no real guitar solo's, excessive bass slaps or extended drum solo's. But there is bluesy/funky guitar going on, nice and easy drums, and the blend of vocals from the singer and Homeless is excellent. Neither are trying to hog the limelight and are working in harmony. I'd recommend giving this a listen.
    Twenty-Dirt is a collaborative album between Minneapolis musicians: rapper Homeless and alt-rock band The van Gobots. Rock, but not rock music; hip-hop but not hip-hop music, Twenty-Dirt is the product of two distinct styles, weaved together, to create an equally intricate and laid back vibe.

The van Gobots’ post-punk influences and song writing tenure, combined with Homeless’s history in the spectrum of both rap music and poetry, unite to deliver emotive guitars, tight rhythms, and incisive lyrics.

“Sounding like a mix between Slug, Mr J. Medeiros, and Brother Ali, he cuts right to the core of underground hip-hop... We need more true artists like Homeless.”
    Hummingbeat

"[The] van Gobots firmly establishes itself among the Twin Cities’ most satisfying, ear-pummeling acts...— the kind of pugilistic, politicized post-punk that hopefully never goes out of style."
    Onion AV Club Twin Cities

The ful album (expect a mystery bonus track) is on this page:

As you go through, you'll see the songs embedded.

Not a pointless comparison at all, both tell a story start to end. Because The Internet standalone does this but uses alot of 'internet' mediums to enhance the experience. It's taken the concept of a concept album to a higher level.

I'm still blown away by it after investing some time in it yesterday.

So the album still makes sense on its own? I look forward to listening to it now!

If anyone is itching for more Run The Jewels, here's a mix.....and a preview of a new track called Pew Pew Pew

You'll see El-P and Mike appearing throughout the video, mostly at the end

If anyone is itching for more Run The Jewels, here's a mix.....and a preview of a new track called Pew Pew Pew

You'll see El-P and Mike appearing throughout the video, mostly at the end

man this is fire, can't wait for new RTJ

man this is fire, can't wait for new RTJ

This track will be in the European release of the first Run The Jewels album, it also features DJ Q-Bert in the cuts which we don't hear in the snippet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

So the album still makes sense on its own? I look forward to listening to it now!

There's a great review of it here:

I haven't got round to any of the other stuff yet either, just been listening to it in the car constantly since it arrived, and it definitely works by itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Great year for hip-hop albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Been waiting on this for years. Finally some Herbal T solo stuff and it doesn't disappoint!

"I'll be dropping mad sh*t soon, ass sounding like a bassoon"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Koncept dropped another EP last night ,
    you can get it at DJbooth.net http://www.djbooth.net/index/albums/review/coarse-company-same-page-ep

New jam from Rhymesayers ahead of thier 2014 tour:

https://soundcloud.com/rhymesayers/atmosphere-color-in-the-snow

Atmosphere feat DeM AtLas, Toki and Joe Horton

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

New album from Mobb Deep coming in spring including ten unreleased tracks from The Infamous recording sessions. Tour coming to Europe apparently, had tickets and travelled to their show in Paris last year which was cancelled. Hope this one goes ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

LUPE wrote: »
    New album from Mobb Deep coming in spring including ten unreleased tracks from The Infamous recording sessions. Tour coming to Europe apparently, had tickets and travelled to their show in Paris last year which was cancelled. Hope this one goes ahead

Yup

New album/World Tour announcement

Would an Irish date be a possibility? Would really like to see them live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

this snoop dogg album "7 days of funk" is getting good reviews

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.2196/title.snoop-dogg-dam-funk-7-days-of-funk

The 1st single is good too imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Beat is alright, lyrics and video are just the same **** different song as usual from snoop when he's not trying to be bob marley reincarnated.

Snoop should have called it a day 5 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

this snoop dogg album "7 days of funk" is getting good reviews

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.2196/title.snoop-dogg-dam-funk-7-days-of-funk

The 1st single is good too imo

have to say I actually enjoyed this album , nothing wrong with a bit of west coast funk ,

Sometimes a video puts how good a song is into perspective.

Tbh im proud to say i followed lamar and TDE from the early stages and watched them become some of the biggest rappers in the game right now, i said it 2 or 3 years ago here these lads were the next big thing. Roll on schoolboys album honestly buzzing for it.:)

great video and song, one of the highlights from gkmc.

I've had an album sitting around for a few months now without listening, so I gave it a spin the other day.....and it's up there for a top 10 placing in albums of the year. The album is Zenith by Grayskul.
    I wouldnt expect that this would be in anyone else's top 10, Grayskul are not what I would call an easy listen, or to everyones taste, but they tick alot of boxes for me on the Zenith album.

Another gem that dropped the other day is the next in the Sage Francis 'Sick of...' series called Sick To D(eat)h. You can listen here _> http://strangefamousrecords.bandcamp.com/releases

It's f*cking awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Gangsta Gibbs, smooth beat; always a lethal combo :cool:

Pro Era put up this video of Steez recording a verse from the mixtape they put out this time last year. Dude would have went on to be one of the greats if he was still around. Serious talent at only 19.

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-reviews-because-the-internet-by-childish-gambino/

Loved the album but Big Ghost is one of the best things out atm.

Big ghost might actually be glover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

New Talib Kweli and Sage Francis' albums are pretty good.

HighClass wrote: »
    Pro Era put up this video of Steez recording a verse from the mixtape they put out this time last year. Dude would have went on to be one of the greats if he was still around. Serious talent at only 19.

I've been listening to his mixtape and tuning into him more on his verses on that Pro Era mixtape, amazing MC.
    I remember when a buddy shot me the Survival Tactics video, when the track first jumped in, I was stunned by the beat the vibe and Joey attacking the mic.
    Then when STEEZ came on my interest became greater...then the small acapella section and how he delivered for the rest of the verse. I must have listened to it 5 or 6 times in a row.

But now reading how it was changed from Joey Bada$$ & Capital STEEZ to featuring because of management bullsh*t, really grinds my gears. Then STeezo forced to take a back seat on all projects as well is not how it should have played out.

This is a longshot but I need to have this song in my collection.

I was driving home earlier around 10pm, I borrowed the mothers car and had no beloved iPod connection or CDs with me so for the first time in probaly what is years bar the odd listen to today fm's premiership coverage on the Saturday when I'm out of the house I listened to the radio!.

Anyway there was a song played on 2fm at around 10pm , havnt got a clue what it was called but it was heavy sampled with a soulful type sound. It could of been called the blend or something like that,I really don't know but I'm pretty sure some LA/ west coast sounding type rapper was on the 2nd verse.

A Freddie Gibbs track was played straight after it too for anyone here that might have been Listining.I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack but hey it's worth a try !!.

Anyone ? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Freddie Gibb s was played on 2fm? What has the world come to?

I was driving home earlier around 10pm, I borrowed the mothers car and had no beloved iPod connection or CDs with me so for the first time in probaly what is years bar the odd listen to today fm's premiership coverage on the Saturday when I'm out of the house I listened to the radio!.

Anyway there was a song played on 2fm at around 10pm , havnt got a clue what it was called but it was heavy sampled with a soulful type sound. It could of been called the blend or something like that,I really don't know but I'm pretty sure some LA/ west coast sounding type rapper was on the 2nd verse.

A Freddie Gibbs track was played straight after it too for anyone here that might have been Listining.I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack but hey it's worth a try !!.

Anyone ? Cheers

You can go back through last nights shows on the rte radio player. Was a different show on before 10 and after. Neither seemed to be the type to play Freddie Gibbs though unfortunately. Sure it was 2FM?

Anyone ? Cheers

@Talib Fiasco thats it, much appreciated :)... were you listening to the show yourself ? Fair play to you because my description of the song was cat to say the least !.

Seemed a pretty good show, freddie gibbs def played think it was shame with the chicago kid.

• Advertisement

iTunes has two copies of because the internet and the only marking is on the tracks and not the actual album so I managed to buy the clean one. So "Piracy" it is then (unless iTunes support gets back with an exchange, but I doubt that).

@Talib Fiasco thats it, much appreciated :)... were you listening to the show yourself ? Fair play to you because my description of the song was cat to say the least !.

Seemed a pretty good show, freddie gibbs def played think it was shame with the chicago kid.

No hassle at all man! Yeah I was listening too myself while flicking through...2fm have some pretty decent stuff late at nights though it seems...the show before has some good indie and electronic stuff and this show started off with more than less the same and then I heard a few hip hop tunes so happy out! And yeah Shame was played after...the presenter musta been on a Madlib kick or something :P

New Capital STEEZ video came out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

John Frusciante (of Chili Pepper fame) is a hip hop producer now. I knew that he was really interested, and had collaborated with RZA, but this one went under the radar.

He has produced the up-coming album for Wu-Affiliates, Black Knights, called Medieval Chamber.

I hope he keeps it up and moves on to working with more talented rappers.
    So making hip-hop, this is like the funnest musical collaboration I’ve ever had with anybody in my life. And it’s the purest.

black_knights_medieval_chamber.jpg

Have to give this a listen, ye snoops not the best anymore but like said previous you cant hate on the funk.

I also listened to some of dam funk's music via youtube, he's not bad i must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

new Drake

I actually enjoyed a few songs off drake's last album, im starting to just take drake's music for what it is and nothing more tbh.

What i didnt like about his previous albums was the way he needlessly flooded the album with stupid features. He doesnt need the likes of rick ross or lil wayne beacuse most of the time they just end up butchering it,Drake has a very smooth laid back flow imo thats not really compatible with rozay shouts and lil wayne mumbling sweet nothings about f*ck all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement