Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New license plates

• 01-01-2013 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

This thread might not kick off for a few days but if anybody sees a newly registered car post it. Obviously don't give the full reg but say something like

Ford Focus 131-TN

The government have changed the license plate system because they fear it will affect car sales given that the number 13 is associated with bad luck. Wonder if they still believe the earth is flat.

I think a license plate system like they have in the UK would have been better and could raise some money for the state if they auctioned off personalised plates.

Check out how much these plates are auctioned off at.

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/auction/newcatalogue/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I just know JJ Kavanagh will have Offaly, Kilkenny, Tipp South, Tipp North and Laois!

Same every year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Im waiting to see 131 - D - 8008135

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭XxKathyxX

I cant waiiiittt. :D IT always my favourite part of new years, :) It just give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Seeing that things are continuing on! :) Now it goin to be soooooooo much cooler with 131!!

xoxo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I just know JJ Kavanagh will have Offaly, Kilkenny, Tipp South, Tipp North and Laois!

He can keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

131 -CN squinn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

IM0 wrote: »

Better if it was a Galway reg!

testicle wrote: »
    Better if it was a Galway reg!

or dundalk

or dundalk

But then wouldn't it just have a Louth license plate ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

chris2008x wrote: »
    The government have changed the license plate system because they fear it will affect car sales given that the number 13 is associated with bad luck. Wonder if they still believe the earth is flat.

:rolleyes:

It was changed because of the lobbying from the motor industry. It's in the governments interests to ensure as many new cars as possible are purchased given the VRT and VAT that new car sales generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

What a load of superstitious b0llox

• Advertisement

Michael Healy Rae made this suggestion, they took his idea and gave him none of the credit :(

the irony being that everyone will be so clueless and surprised when they see 131 and go wtf instead of 13, there will be waaaaaaaaaaay more car crashes than if it was just 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A load of superstitious bollocks.

Michael Healy Rae made this suggestion, they took his idea and gave him none of the credit :(

Maybe if he paid his phone bill he'd get the credit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

They took another 3 billion out of the economy and tax, insurance, fuel the lot has gone up. More and more people will be put off the road due to costs. Don't see car sales improving this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

They still have "13" in the number so you're still gonna crash and burn if you drive one of these ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I don't understand why they went with splitting the year in half like that anyway. If they really wanted to distribute car sales throughout the year they should have assigned a letter per month so that a car in January would be 13A through to December being 13L.

It's a load of superstitious nonsense anyway.
    I think a license plate system like they have in the UK would have been better and could raise some money for the state if they auctioned off personalised plates.

Check out how much these plates are auctioned off at.

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/auction/newcatalogue/

Wonder if it's possible to get NCC 1701 :D

They took another 3 billion out of the economy and tax, insurance, fuel the lot has gone up. More and more people will be put off the road due to costs. Don't see car sales improving this year.

I imagine with all the extra stealth taxes making motoring more expensive, the overall intake will actually fall as people won't be able to afford a car as much.

baalthor wrote: »
    They still have "13" in the number so you're still gonna crash and burn if you drive one of these ...

I want 113 G 666

Wonder what the Tipperary license plates will be like next year. Since North/South will be unified there will be no more 12-TN-123
    12-TS-456

14-T-123 or 14-TY-123?

• Advertisement

Tipp shall never merge :mad:

No way am I associating with Mattie McGrath or the louts in Tipp Town or the Mr Shephards Pie in Clonmel

Tipp North ftw :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Does anyone know if it is only for this year or is a permanent thing.
    The original system was fine and perfectly understandable, the country has a lot more to be worrying about than the number 13 on a reg plate ffs.
    Years ago I remember a HGV in the area with the reg HIV 13 did not seem to bother anyone back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

juan.kerr wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

It was changed because of the lobbying from the motor industry. It's in the governments interests to ensure as many new cars as possible are purchased given the VRT and VAT that new car sales generate.

I don't see how importing expensive luxury goods helps us in a recession. But it's not about "us", it's about the motor trade (importing at a profit + fixing prices != industry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Wonder what the Tipperary license plates will be like next year. Since North/South will be unified there will be no more 12-TN-123
    12-TS-456

14-T-123 or 14-TY-123?

Neither.

141-T-123 and 142-T-123. Maybe 141-TY-123 and 142-TY-123

goose2005 wrote: »
    I don't see how importing expensive luxury goods helps us in a recession. But it's not about "us", it's about the motor trade (importing at a profit + fixing prices != industry)

Do we manufacture cars here that I don't know about?

Also you seem to forget. Raising tax revenue is about paying the public sector wage and pension bill these days. Balancing the books or long term effects of the deficit and raised national debt levels are not a consideration...

galwayrush wrote: »
    I want 113 G 666

I want 13 DD 8008135

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

From what I can gather, it seems that the new reg plates are for 2013 only?? Is it planned to revert back to 'old' style next year? Seems crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Just wondering if there are any reg numbers over 00-D-100000,......... 222-D-222............will be a nice number to get. Can the number plate machines cope with a number such as .............................................222-D-22222. Maybe at that stage regulations in relation to the size of letters and digits will have changed.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

What if I get 131-D-31313?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

goose2005 wrote: »
    What if I get 131-D-31313?
    Then the motor trade will be very happy with sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

chinwag wrote: »
    From what I can gather, it seems that the new reg plates are for 2013 only?? Is it planned to revert back to 'old' style next year? Seems crazy to me.

Dunno where you seen that but it's wrong. The system will continue next year and for the following years. They are not reverting back to the old system again.

I personally think its ridiculous but it's still more straight forward and simplified than the uk system which is completely random bar the year digits.

I think they should scrap the current system completely and go with personal issue registrations. You apply for a registration number and take it with you each time you change car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can't believe they actually went throught with this carp.
    when all these European diplomats come over for the presidency we'll be a complete laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What if you get 131 - D - 13?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Dublin reg plates should be split in to NS and SS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What if you get 131 - D - 13?
    Well then your fcuked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

If I had cash for a new motor this year I wouldn't buy one out of spite at the governments stupidity on this one.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say anyone who drives a 131 reg is a big doodoo-head :P

*Apologises for collapse of the car industry in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sheeps wrote: »
    nah Fingal / SDCC / DL&R / DCC

you could do postal districts but then D4 cars would get keyed a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sheeps wrote: »

Dublin regs should indeed be split into the four county council areas: FL (Fingal), SD (South Dublin), DR (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown) and DC (Dublin City)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We're getting a new car. Gonna have that stupid 131 on it.

People need to man the **** up and stop with that superstitious ****e.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And there I was thinking my opinion of him couldn't get any lower. Mind you, the half wits who went ahead with it are no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

CJC999 wrote: »
    Dunno where you seen that but it's wrong. The system will continue next year and for the following years. They are not reverting back to the old system again . . .

I think they should scrap the current system completely and go with personal issue registrations. You apply for a registration number and take it with you each time you change car.

That makes more sense, it's what I thought before I was misled recently.

Regarding personal issue registrations, would they be an administrative nightmare if used widespread? Also, would year of manufacture be lost? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

chinwag wrote: »
    That makes more sense, it's what I thought before I was misled recently.

Regarding personal issue registrations, would they be an administrative nightmare if used widespread? Also, would year of manufacture be lost? Just wondering.
    Don't they have personal registration plates in Germany? Losing the year of manufacture on the plates would not be a bad thing IMHO. Too many number plate snobs around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Harry Burns

Ha, tilt your head while squinting and 131 looks like a woman sticking her boobs out a window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Credit or blame?

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Judge Weiner

They missed Laois this year. They were not quick enough.

131-LS-XX Land Rover Discovery today in Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ours is 131-G-XX

Very odd looking.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Dublin regs should indeed be split into the four county council areas: FL (Fingal), SD (South Dublin), DR (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown) and DC (Dublin City)

FL, SD and DR have been reserved for future use, whether they will be used or not is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Saw 131-OY-X (not number 1 :( ) yesterday. Don't like the new licence plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I don't get this :confused: If it turns out to be really obvious I'm blaming my head cold for my stupidity

• Advertisement
Advertisement