Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New license plates

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I don't get this :confused: If it turns out to be really obvious I'm blaming my head cold for my stupidity

boobies.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Thanks, definitely the head cold to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's not superstition if you want to sell more cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's a bit like The Gathering, a money racket that isn't going to pay off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I drove all day today and didn't see even one. I am dissapointed at our new found pov status. I'm wondering will kildare ones read "BIKE".
    I liked the 01 ones, they spelt OIKE which amused me, but then I'm fairly immature, at best. Not to mention BILK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Do we manufacture cars here that I don't know about?

In a word, yes, I'm sure you know about them, you just don't realise they are built here.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

chinwag wrote: »
    From what I can gather, it seems that the new reg plates are for 2013 only?? Is it planned to revert back to 'old' style next year? Seems crazy to me.

yep strange 'old' bunch in there, of course theres no possibility at all that the damn cost of the vehicle will be a hindrance to car sales more than superstition or do they think everyone will want a special edition 131 numbered car thus sales going through the roof. very strange bunch, very stupid ideas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Sheeps wrote: »
    Dublin reg plates should be split in to NS and SS.

An SS Volkswagen in Black

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ruski wrote: »
    It's not superstition if you want to sell more cars.
    It is superstition if you believe that 131/132 will sell more cars without any evidence that it might

are there any stats from anywhere else in the world that 6 monthly changed car sale or are there any stats that show people would wait a full year to get a better number ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

XxKathyxX wrote: »
    I cant waiiiittt. :D IT always my favourite part of new years, :) It just give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Seeing that things are continuing on! :) Now it goin to be soooooooo much cooler with 131!!

xoxo :)

Are you alright, love?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

It is superstition if you believe that 131/132 will sell more cars without any evidence that it might

are there any stats from anywhere else in the world that 6 monthly changed car sale or are there any stats that show people would wait a full year to get a better number ?

As I've been away for the past 3 months most of this passed me by and I didn't know that there was a reason other than pure superstition for this change in the plates until I read your post. When I read it the first thought I had was;
    Why stop at half years?
    Why not make it every quarter of a year?
    Maybe even every month?
    Or even better every day, hour and minute with a licence plate ten feet wide so that everyone knows exactly how old your new car is.
    And while they're at it why not have it all in hexadecimal?

I wish I could say I was surprised that as a people we are so backward as to have allowed this to happen but I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I just know JJ Kavanagh will have Offaly, Kilkenny, Tipp South, Tipp North and Laois!

Same every year :D
    ehh..

I think that motor traders are just trying to spread out the sales a bit more over the year.

I have a better idea, get rid of the year "vanity" label altogether and just have the county and a serial sequence of letters & numbers.
    It would make the plates shorter and easier to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

131-TN-X Kia Ceed

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

If its actually some kind of attempt to increase sales, I don't understand it. If its some kind of attempt to give in to superstitious people, I don't understand it either. Out of all the negativity in the country over the past few years, a drastic reduction in road accidents is one of the few positive things to take out of it. And a number 13 on our number plates won't change that success. Our previous system was fine, adding an extra 1 and 2 is needless and overthinking something simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why aren't they reverting back to the old system next year?

I mean what's wrong with 14? It's an even number, it's perfectly safe. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why aren't they reverting back to the old system next year?

I mean what's wrong with 14? It's an even number, it's perfectly safe. :pac:

It's mostly to do with spreading the sales of the cars throughout the year.

I work in vehicle registration and people are very fussy with registration numbers and a "bad" one can cost a garage a sale. The motor industry is already suffering, I really cannot see why people have such a issue with this new change ?

michellie wrote: »
    It's mostly to do with spreading the sales of the cars throughout the year.

I work in vehicle registration and people are very fussy with registration numbers and a "bad" one can cost a garage a sale. The motor industry is already suffering, I really cannot see why people have such a issue with this new change ?

It's more to do with having a car number plate longer than you're phone number, just imagine an imported 2013 dublin car 131-D-1200xx

Zero foresight... What happens in 2131??

Zero foresight... What happens in 2131??
    They'll have barcodes by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They'll have barcodes by then.

That would actually look pretty cool! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I saw one of those new '131 reg cars.

131 MH X

I wonder is it ok to write the date as 08/01/131?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

chris2008x wrote: »

The government have changed the license plate system because they fear it will affect car sales given that the number 13 is associated with bad luck. Wonder if they still believe the earth is flat.

Not true. Not even close.

Teh governmetn changed the lisencign system to give two registrations a year (similar to the UK) at the urging of SIMI and the motor industry...

But of course the "13 is bad luck" nonsense makes for a better story and is constantly repeated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Am I the only one who doesn't give a toss whats on your number plate or when/where your car was bought?

knipex wrote: »
    Not true. Not even close.

Teh governmetn changed the lisencign system to give two registrations a year (similar to the UK) at the urging of SIMI and the motor industry...

But of course the "13 is bad luck" nonsense makes for a better story and is constantly repeated....

Yes the same SIMI that got imports to have high numbers to make them stand out! But I have to ask, if 13 wasn't an issue why change the system this year and not last or next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

There are some serious morons on here. Do people really believe they changed the number system for superstitious reasons? Really? Is that what you actually believe? I've heard of these people that believe everything they read on the internet must be true, but I didn't think they actually existed.

There are some serious morons on here. Do people really believe they changed the number system for superstitious reasons? Really? Is that what you actually believe? I've heard of these people that believe everything they read on the internet must be true, but I didn't think they actually existed.

http://www.thejournal.ie/number-13-licence-plates-michael-healy-rae-571256-Aug2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

CJC999 wrote: »
    I think they should scrap the current system completely and go with personal issue registrations. You apply for a registration number and take it with you each time you change car.

Totally agree. The number plate business here is nothing but a money making scam for new car dealers. Imagine if you couldn't tell what age a car is by looking at the reg... Well maintained cars would retain their value far more and it would probably impact on new car sales as reg plate snobbery would be gone.
    Pherekydes wrote: »
    Dublin regs should indeed be split into the four county council areas: FL (Fingal), SD (South Dublin), DR (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown) and DC (Dublin City)

Why? It's all one county. Makes no sense (financial or otherwise) to add more and more layers of bureaucracy.

Totally agree. The number plate business here is nothing but a money making scam for new car dealers. Imagine if you couldn't tell what age a car is by looking at the reg... Well maintained cars would retain their value far more and it would probably impact on new car sales as reg plate snobbery would be gone. .

The only thing that really matters age wise is how many winters the car has had, 10 years of road grit will cause more rust than 6 years.

Why? It's all one county. Makes no sense (financial or otherwise) to add more and more layers of bureaucracy.

As far as I know, it's all run from one office anyway, so no extra bureaucracy involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The only thing that really matters age wise is how many winters the car has had, 10 years of road grit will cause more rust than 6 years.

And people who maintain their cars well will give the underside a wash now and then.
    As far as I know, it's all run from one office anyway, so no extra bureaucracy involved.

Then why do it? What's the benefit? Seriously, give me a single REAL benefit to saying which part of Dublin the original owner lived in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't think it's about selling "more" cars per se - The argument is that the Sales profile for the year is heavily skewed to the 1st two or three months of the year..

So if a garage was to sell 250 cars a year , they say that under the current system they are selling ~175 of them in the 1st 3 months and then the rest spread out over the other nine months.

The new reg plates are supposed to solve that by making people more likely to buy in July/August to get a 132 plate..

I don't see it myself to be honest...All that's likely to happen is that the 75 cars that they sold in the 9 months last year will all get sold in July/August now...Sept to Dec will be just as dead for new Sales as it always is.

People who are that worried about reg plate numbers won't buy a 132 in Sept/Oct - They'll hang on till Jan for a 141.

To really break the "New Reg" sales spikes they'd have to go to Plates registered to the driver as they do in Germany or at the very least have the plates carry across calendar years as they to in the UK (August to Feb isn't it?)

And people who maintain their cars well will give the underside a wash now and then.

Then why do it? What's the benefit? Seriously, give me a single REAL benefit to saying which part of Dublin the original owner lived in.

Those who buy a new car "like it", if dealers think it improves the changes of a sale, they'll push for it. Just like all the other recent changes to the system.

Vanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

IM0 wrote: »
    Im waiting to see 131 - D - 8008135

It took far too long to get that. As in about 10 minutes of googling and concentrating. I am disappointed with myself

Advertisement