Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64 bit instability

Options
  • 01-01-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've just upgraded from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64bit. I notice that the x64 version of IE9 crashes far more often than it should, as do other x64 applications, including a demo of Crysis I downloaded.

Do any of you find instability with 64 bit Windows? Or maybe this is do to with Win 7, and not the 64 bit aspect of it...? Really don't know what to make of it at the moment.

I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB Corsair RAM, nVidia 9800gtx, nVidia mobo...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I've just upgraded from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64bit. I notice that the x64 version of IE9 crashes far more often than it should, as do other x64 applications, including a demo of Crysis I downloaded.

Do any of you find instability with 64 bit Windows? Or maybe this is do to with Win 7, and not the 64 bit aspect of it...? Really don't know what to make of it at the moment.

I have Intel Core 2 Quad, 4GB Corsair RAM, nVidia 9800gtx, nVidia mobo...
    are all your graphics card drivers etc updated to 64bit versions, i have used vista 64bit, windows 7 64bit and windows 8 64bit and crashes would not be a regular occurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

64 bit Internet Explorer is notorious for instability, a while back Microsoft and Adobe recommended sticking with the 32 bit version until they sorted it out.

I would try IE10 if you prefer it to Chrome/FF, I use it as my main browser but I don't bother with the 64-bit version, no point anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

I did a clean install so I assume it would have downloaded the most suitable drivers. I looked in Device Manager but there doesn't seem to be a way of telling if it's the 64 bit version. Driver version is: 8.15.11.8593

I will double check the nVidia site

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

64 bit Internet Explorer is notorious for instability, a while back Microsoft and Adobe recommended sticking with the 32 bit version until they sorted it out.

I would try IE10 if you prefer it to Chrome/FF, I use it as my main browser but I don't bother with the 64-bit version, no point anyways

See I always find that when you search an issue on google you just find others with the same problem but with different causes. Maybe you're right though... I'll stick with 32bit versions, or maybe FF instead.

Advertisement