Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Broadband

Options
  • 01-01-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Im having problems getting broadband in my house but I believe that im being brushed aside due to the fact im living in a rural area.

I ordered and recieved broadband about 2 years ago and it did work. The broadband would usually sync to around 1Mb but sometimes the DSL would not sync and I would get disconnected. I understand that living so far away from the exchange this was acceptable. After using this service for around a year I went and tried mobile broadband and its running ok but mostly in edge so speeds are quite poor.

Since then all my local neighbours have gotten eircom broadband and low and behold they have no issues at all with DSL dropping and are quite happy with the service. Although when they received the service at first it was poor until an eircom engineer diagnosed the fault as the line coming into the house and they ran a new line. After this their broadband was perfect.

So I went and decided a few weeks ago to go ahead and order broadband again. I got talking to a lovely lady called Bindu on the phone, I let her know we had issues in the past so she done a line check and said it passed and that eircom where using a new type of broadband and it was much stronger and I would have no issues.

The broadband box arrived in the post and my son inlaw said he would set it up for me. The day he went to set it up he said the box is faulty so rang broadband support. The support engineer also verified the box to be faulty, no DSL light flashing at all, he said it must flash even if there is no phone line connected. The engineer said that you probably have two issues though, 1/ your box is faulty and 2/ there is a fault with the line. I was currently on the same phone line so he gave me a reference number and told me to ring back. REF: 4865885. I rang back and the new engineer verified the fault and said I would be better to book a call out engineer, rather than sending out a box, two birds with the one stone I suppose.

I got a call on the 27th from a field engineer and was told there was no hope of getting broadband and he knows the area quite well. I had broadband for over a year before the exchange was upgraded? It worked when I had it but disconnected every so often. My neighbours who happen to be family also where on the same boat as me and got new lines brought into the house and they now have no problems.

I am not putting this to bed until I am fully certain that broadband cannot be got here. I feel a phone call from a field engineer is not enough done to try and fix the problem. The fact my neighbours have it after a new line leads me to believe that there is still hope for myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

*Bump

*Bump

Will someone from eircom please have a look at my problem. why am i being ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

How far away is you're neighbour? Surely you can if your're neighbour is close by to you.

Maybe it will cost them to help you, so there just ignoring you! Unfortunately, when you live in a rural area internet providers care little.

I had broadband originally, it was just the dsl would drop and take awhile to sync every few days. so for the engineer to say i cant get it is not true.

where do i go from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

freekhead wrote: »
    Im having problems getting broadband in my house but I believe that im being brushed aside due to the fact im living in a rural area.

I ordered and recieved broadband about 2 years ago and it did work. The broadband would usually sync to around 1Mb but sometimes the DSL would not sync and I would get disconnected. I understand that living so far away from the exchange this was acceptable. After using this service for around a year I went and tried mobile broadband and its running ok but mostly in edge so speeds are quite poor.

Since then all my local neighbours have gotten eircom broadband and low and behold they have no issues at all with DSL dropping and are quite happy with the service. Although when they received the service at first it was poor until an eircom engineer diagnosed the fault as the line coming into the house and they ran a new line. After this their broadband was perfect.

So I went and decided a few weeks ago to go ahead and order broadband again. I got talking to a lovely lady called Bindu on the phone, I let her know we had issues in the past so she done a line check and said it passed and that eircom where using a new type of broadband and it was much stronger and I would have no issues.

The broadband box arrived in the post and my son inlaw said he would set it up for me. The day he went to set it up he said the box is faulty so rang broadband support. The support engineer also verified the box to be faulty, no DSL light flashing at all, he said it must flash even if there is no phone line connected. The engineer said that you probably have two issues though, 1/ your box is faulty and 2/ there is a fault with the line. I was currently on the same phone line so he gave me a reference number and told me to ring back. REF: 4865885. I rang back and the new engineer verified the fault and said I would be better to book a call out engineer, rather than sending out a box, two birds with the one stone I suppose.

I got a call on the 27th from a field engineer and was told there was no hope of getting broadband and he knows the area quite well. I had broadband for over a year before the exchange was upgraded? It worked when I had it but disconnected every so often. My neighbours who happen to be family also where on the same boat as me and got new lines brought into the house and they now have no problems.

I am not putting this to bed until I am fully certain that broadband cannot be got here. I feel a phone call from a field engineer is not enough done to try and fix the problem. The fact my neighbours have it after a new line leads me to believe that there is still hope for myself

Hi freekhead,

Can you PM me with your tel no: if you have one or address. If you have the old account number when you had broadband with eircom and I will look into it for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi mark. i have sent you a PM. Have you anything for me yet?

Hi mark. i have sent you a PM. Have you anything for me yet?
    Hi freekhead,

I am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have sent on a request to track the cable between your address and that of a neighbouring customer with eircom broadband.

I should get a response next week.

Thanks, Mark

Hi freekhead,

I am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have sent on a request to track the cable between your address and that of a neighbouring customer with eircom broadband.

I should get a response next week.

Thanks, Mark

Hi mark. Thank you for the help. Any new yet on my situation?

Hi mark. Thank you for the help. Any new yet on my situation?

Hi freekhead,

I got a response from the engineer who checked the cable tracking, the distance between the two address' are a similar range?

We have asked for the line to be re-tested from the exchange. We hope to have the results in the next 48 hours.

I will get back to you then.

Thanks, Mark

Hi freekhead,

I got a response from the engineer who checked the cable tracking, the distance between the two address' are a similar range?

We have asked for the line to be re-tested from the exchange. We hope to have the results in the next 48 hours.

I will get back to you then.

Thanks, Mark
    thanks for the update. there is a group of houses all within 300m of each other

• Advertisement

thanks for the update. there is a group of houses all within 300m of each other

Hi freekhead,

I am afraid we could not locate a reason as to why your speeds were limited to max 1MB. We have had similar cases even in estates where the speed can vary. That can be the case with the broadband service / speed. As such eircom can never guarantee either the broadband service or speed.

Which is why I am unable to escalate the issue further, I am sorry I could not get back with better news.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

Thank you for looking into this for me. I think you misunderstood me, I actually dont have broadband. I used to have broadband 2 years ago and it was occasionally disconnecting. I went with 3g from vodafone and iv been using this since. I then decided before Christmas to get eircom bb again as my closest neighbors have  it. The modem i received was faulty so phone support booked a tech to call out. The tech never called out and just canceled my subscription without even trying to do anything.

I will phone broadband support again today and order broadband. this time I will get the tech to call and run a new line into my house.

Hi Mark

Thank you for looking into this for me. I think you misunderstood me, I actually dont have broadband. I used to have broadband 2 years ago and it was occasionally disconnecting. I went with 3g from vodafone and iv been using this since. I then decided before Christmas to get eircom bb again as my closest neighbors have  it. The modem i received was faulty so phone support booked a tech to call out. The tech never called out and just canceled my subscription without even trying to do anything.

I will phone broadband support again today and order broadband. this time I will get the tech to call and run a new line into my house.

Hi freekhead,

Apologies, if I did not come across very clear. I sent on your previous details / line speed tests for your old account to the engineers. To see if they could track the cable compared to a neighbours line with eircom broadband to see if the can find an issue with the differing speeds.

They were unable to do so,

So as there is a line in place eircom will not install a new line for broadband service or speed eircom do not guarantee the broadband service.

Sorry, I hope that is clearer.

Thanks, Mark

But if the line is faulty from the pole into the house im sure they would  replace that?

That is what my two neighbors got done and everything worked for them after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

But if the line is faulty from the pole into the house im sure they would  replace that?

That is what my two neighbors got done and everything worked for them after that
    Hi freekhead

As Mark has advised there are no faults on your line and having checked with engineers they have informed us that as there is a line in place, eircom will not install a new line for broadband service or speed issues. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

This is why i use 3G from Three eircom don't care when people have issues ''theres no fault on the line'' very standard fob off from Eircom people pay some extreme prices for eircom services yet there is no investment in the Eircom network anymore which is a another reason why i stay well clear,

I can get speeds of around 10Mb down and 4Mb upload over 3G network something Eircom customers could only dream of,

How can eircom know if there is no fault on the line if no engineer has been out to check the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Freekhead if you type 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 into the top of your internet browser what are your line stats?

Your looking for attentuation and SN margin figures from the eircom modem.

Have you got any filters on your line if you do connect the modem direct to the phone socket,

Also the line going from the socket to your modem should be a short phone cable i noticed the longer the phone cable is the more problems it causes with connection.

Eircom have a max of upto7Mb in my area here is a test from when i was with the over year ago

1621453184.png

and now my 3G connection from 3ireland

2451558128.png

Advertisement