Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi remote connection help

Options
  • 01-01-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've set up a VNC server on my rpi and all works fine within my LAN.

I'd like to access the RPI outside my home network.

When I try to ping my IP address from another PC in my parents house then the connection times out.

I'm using the IP address given out by whatismyipaddress.com.

I then plan to port forward to the rpi.

Can anyone offer any advice? Am I pinging the correct IP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is your router set to respond to a ping or not. The normal setting is not to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GamingManiac

Most routers will block pings.

Your best bet would be to port forward and then just try VNC'ing into the server/RPI. Should work without much else. The only other thing to look for is that you have VNC figured correctly to allow non-local machine access (Made that mistake several times myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hey guys,

I'd set my fwd'd port to 2202. That didn't work. I tried 22 and it suddenly started working! Not sure why the port num would affect it.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully this helps someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When a data packet hits the router and it isn't a reply to an outgoing packet the router needs to know where to send it. Hence if VNC is communicating using port 22 then you need to tell the router where to send it to.

Advertisement