Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Attenborough's Africa

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:06pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Sir David has a new show starting tomorrow night. Its called Africa and is about Africa funnily enough :pac:

I can't find much online about it but its starting at 9 o'clock on BBC 1. I'm not sure if its the same crew behind Planet Earth, Life & Frozen Planet but I'm sure the footage will be of a similar standard. Looking forward to it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Really enjoyed the first programme; the footage of the giraffes fighting was fascinating. You could really see how powerful the blows were. I like that they do the piece at the end where they talk about how they captured the footage, same as they did for Frozen Planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Watching the giraffes fighting was fascinating, and the clip at the end showing the bloodied rump of one of the males really shows you how much power is behind the blows. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of this series unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

What did you think of last night's episode? Some of my friends are in East Africa at the moment so I spent most of the episode feeling very jealous!

The clip where the baby elephant died was so moving. A really striking piece of footage.

I also really like the piece they do at the end. Seeing them trekking up that mountain, and then waiting for days for the sky to clear. Now that's dedication!

My tv can be a bit unruly and it turned itself off just as he was going to say what next week's episode is on... Could anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hollzy wrote: »
    My tv can be a bit unruly and it turned itself off just as he was going to say what next week's episode is on... Could anyone enlighten me?

Moving deep into the Congo rainforests, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Ah I missed last night's episode. Anyone know when it is repeated?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hollypink wrote: »
    Ah I missed last night's episode. Anyone know when it is repeated?

I didn't get to see the whole thing yet either. I think the repeats are Sunday at 5:30.

The bits I saw we're great though. First episode was really good too, the giraffe fight was vicious.

My flatmate missed them so I recorded them for her. I will be watching both episodes a second time with her!

Ooh, the Congo! Sounds great! That's definitely one of the areas I know less about and want to look into some more. Can't think of a better way to get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

He's my hero! I absolutely adore the fella and I am dreading the day of his passing ...

I read an article about this series the other day, I didn't realise it was coming out so soon! I'm currently following the Galapagos series on Sky, def will have a look at Africa after that. Sounds amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It is such a great programme. Very upsetting to watch the elephants last night. I love how it is filmed, and especially love the "behind the scenes" stuff of how it's actually filmed.

He's my hero! I absolutely adore the fella and I am dreading the day of his passing ...

I hear ya! I've been watching his documentaries my whole life. He definitely had a large role in inspiring me to become a zoologist (Hmmm, that sounds a little like I'm one already - just to clarify I'm not quite there yet. Still in college!) My most treasured possession is definitely the letter he sent me :D I never thought he'd reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Hollzy wrote: »
    I hear ya! I've been watching his documentaries my whole life. He definitely had a large role in inspiring me to become a zoologist (Hmmm, that sounds a little like I'm one already - just to clarify I'm not quite there yet. Still in college!) My most treasured possession is definitely the letter he sent me :D I never thought he'd reply!

He's what inspired me to become a documentary maker (as yourself still in college)!
    I read he doesn't like being famous, but he adores his fans. Everyone I've ever heard of trying to get in contact with him has always gotten a reply. Makes me love him even more!

Ah, nice one! Maybe we should team up some day :P

Yeah, the letter he sent me was nicer than some of the ones I've gotten from close friends! It was all handwritten, even the address on the envelope. And he replied within about two weeks of me sending it as well. I always remember the date I got it - 31/12/09. I can't think of a better way to end a decade!

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/animals/bbc-africa

Just found this! For anyone who wants to find out more about the series.

Advertisement