Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home PABX system

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:26pm

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

My parents have an old PABX system in their house from when the place was being used an office. It had two lines coming from Eircom (Telecom Eireann I think!) and it split these among a number of spurs that ran throughout the house.

As the system is now starting to fail and they only now use one line, they are looking to get the PABX system removed and run the single phone line as a normal one throughout the house, using the existing wiring. Is this possible or difficult? The man from Eircom said that there techs wouldn't do it.

Cheers,

Z

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could a gigaset or panasonic system. It would work off dect phones plugged in where you want them.

You could call out through Voip for cheaper rates also. Then you could get rid of a line. Just don't get rid of a line used for broadband or you will be without broadband.

Eircom have a 30 day notice policy or you have to pay one months line rental.

Is it an isdn line they have?

Cheers for that.

Would it be tricky or expensive to get someone in to disconnect the old PABX system and run the eircom lines into the spurs running throughout the house?

If this is achievable, thye are looking at getting the eircom broadband in and replace the current wireless one. Eircom have finally gotten decent broadband in the area.

You should be able to do it yourself. But it will depend on how many connection points there are. If there are more then 4 phone points then you need something to power up the rest.

You could look at something like blueface and cut the line rental altogether.

There were six I think. However, only four are needed now as the old office part doesn't need a line running through it.

Is there a guide to doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Wouldn't this be easier using wireless phone system with 3-4 handsets? I have a broadband splitter attached to the phone socket; one line is connected to a multi-handset DECT phone system, and the other connected to a broadband modem.

• Advertisement

Don't have one to hand. The system sounds ancient so I would buy a new eircom box and four rj11 faceplates. The system could be wired very badly and full of dust.

Just join the wires up together in the eircom box and it will work. Remember that you can't call internally though.

Oracle wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be easier using wireless phone system with 3-4 handsets? Thats what I have; a broadband splitter attached to the phone socket; one line is connected to a multi-handset DECT phone system, and the other connected to a broadband modem.

This would be a lot easier infairness. I would recommend looking at the gigaset or panasonic systems.

Also the current phones etc could be faulty. You could always do this in the future if you want to.

Cheers guys. House is an old one that has really thick walls so a wireless setup won't work. They have two routers just to get wifi set up.

So basically, its just a matter of taking the line in wire and connecting it to the four spurs that run through the house already?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Yes you can put the 4 of them in parallel for the time being.
    Test the incoming ringing as the Ring Equivalence Number might be high.
    If the 4 phones do not ring for an incoming call then remove one and test again.
    You should be able to get someone locally to check out the existing/old PBX for you.
    Whereabouts are you located?

Generally 4 phones can be connected to a line but any more would put stress on it.

• Advertisement

So basically, its just a matter of taking the line in wire and connecting it to the four spurs that run through the house already?

Pretty much. If your getting broadband use a junction box and a wired dsl filter box.

Advertisement