Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a mailing list towards achieving sponsorship / advertising on my site

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I own and run a website / online service catering to a particular demographic. Let's say retired people to give an example.

I currently have over 200 likes on Facebook, and this will increase by approx 100/week via Facebook ads. This doesn't include organic likes, from general promotion through other channels and organic likes (from people seeing their friends like the page, etc).

Moving to the newsletter, I have just set one up and after 3 days I now have 27 subscribers to my list. This was achieved again using Facebook ads, my estimation based on the numbers to date there is that I can get 100 people onto my list for every €80 spent on ads.

Therefore, with a spend of €400 I will have approx 500 people on my list, and predict I could get a list of 1000 subscribers to my mailing list with a spend of less than €800.

What I'm wondering is what kind of numbers I'd want to be hitting with my email list to attract sponsorship and advertising via my newsletter, bearing in mind that this is a targeted audience that some advertisers would be happy to spend money reaching? I know that some advertisers would want tens of thousands of subscribers, but I do think I could attract some advertising spend at a lower rate, at least until the list builds up to the bigger numbers.

On the Facebook side, I would say I could hit 1000+ likes within 6-8 weeks, continuing with the growth from there.

The product will have to come before the monetisation here as always (or at least the focus will have to be on building the product first), so I'm really just wondering now re the opportunities here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

The only thing about facebook likes, its that they are not worth a dime unless people buy from you as a result if them...

Our website has 580 organic likes and we have never achieved a sale as a result of putting up posts on facebook....

However we have achieved sales as a result of facebook ads....

Don't really know when you can start charging for advertising on newsletters. Why not offer potential clients a free listing ov your newsletter and if it is worth their while they will continue to advertise with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Something try as well could be one of those give always.

Purely as an example Dominos offered a free pizza to who ever posted on their wall and subsequently got the most like.

The likes of the top two posts were over 200 together, and those would of had to have like the page first.

So that's at least 200 likes in the space of two hours for 20 euro.

Might not be applicable to your product/service but definitely worth a try.

Advertisement