Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Australia

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all
    Can anyone give me an idea if it would be easy enough for me to get a job in Australia? I am a civil and environmental engineer with 8 years experience. Thinking of Canberra or Melbourne...

Is it best to go on a whv and then try get a job and sponsorship or better to have a job first?

Once you have a "permanent" job is it pretty much guaranteed that you'll get a permanent visa?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi all
    Can anyone give me an idea if it would be easy enough for me to get a job in Australia? I am a civil and environmental engineer with 8 years experience. Thinking of Canberra or Melbourne...
    Canberra would be difficult due to the size, it's a very small and boring place.
    Melbourne would have more jobs
    Is it best to go on a whv and then try get a job and sponsorship or better to have a job first?
    Yes, unless you can get a PR visa, but this is a long and expensive proccess
    Once you have a "permanent" job is it pretty much guaranteed that you'll get a permanent visa?
    Not at all, you need to work hard, earn a minimum amount, and the company eligible to sponsor you.

Mod On a side note, please don't ask the same questions in multiple threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lovetochill

Hi Op,

Not sure if you found a job yet. But I think with your environmental engineer experience, you have a greater chance to get a job in Melbourne. You might like to look at La Trobe university website, they often recruit Environmental Engineering. You can apply from here and if you got accepted, they would look after all the rest like visa, moving and accommodation for the first month or so...in my opinion this should be a better way for you. They usually give you a 4 years visa which is pretty permanent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

hussey wrote: »
    Canberra would be difficult due to the size, it's a very small and boring place.
    Melbourne would have more jobs

Melbourne should have more jobs but I wouldn't rule out Canberra that easily. I worked there for a while and loved it. Depends on the lifestyle you are after, if you are after the bondi style life then it's probably not the place for you.

Advertisement