Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what stage are the deeds sent to the bank?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

We bought our house in December 2011 and when the propertyregister.ie site came out we noticed that stamp hadn't been paid on it.
    Only after writing letters and emails to the solicitor was the stamp paid (not that he ever replied to the letter or emails - it suddenly appeared on the register a couple of weeks after sending in a registered formal letter to them)

I subsequently contacted the bank (just before Christmas) to see if they had received the deeds and they said no they haven't to date.

The house isn't registered in our names but from what I'm told it can take up to 6 months after signing for that to happen. Obviously we are far past six months but I suspect the solicitor only got off his bum when we sent the letters to him threatening complaints to the law society. He is never available on the phone and doesn't reply now to emails or letters so I'm not sure if I should wait until around June to see if it appears in the land registry and with the bank?

Are the deeds first sent to the land registry and then on to the bank?

Should I go ahead now and make the complaint to the law society? We are at a bit of a loss what to do at this stage.
    We have no intention of selling it for another 10 years or so so if its a matter of just waiting for the land registry next summer than that's fine.
    I suppose that if the bank doesn't get the deeds until the land registry is done than I'll probably leave it until the summer.

Any advice on what you would do in the same situation?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Supercell wrote: »
    We bought our house in December 2011 and when the propertyregister.ie site came out we noticed that stamp hadn't been paid on it.
    Only after writing letters and emails to the solicitor was the stamp paid (not that he ever replied to the letter or emails - it suddenly appeared on the register a couple of weeks after sending in a registered formal letter to them)

I subsequently contacted the bank (just before Christmas) to see if they had received the deeds and they said no they haven't to date.

The house isn't registered in our names but from what I'm told it can take up to 6 months after signing for that to happen. Obviously we are far past six months but I suspect the solicitor only got off his bum when we sent the letters to him threatening complaints to the law society. He is never available on the phone and doesn't reply now to emails or letters so I'm not sure if I should wait until around June to see if it appears in the land registry and with the bank?

Are the deeds first sent to the land registry and then on to the bank?

Should I go ahead now and make the complaint to the law society? We are at a bit of a loss what to do at this stage.
    We have no intention of selling it for another 10 years or so so if its a matter of just waiting for the land registry next summer than that's fine.
    I suppose that if the bank doesn't get the deeds until the land registry is done than I'll probably leave it until the summer.

Any advice on what you would do in the same situation?

Did you buy a new house or an old house? It's not scientific but an older house is more likely to have been unregistered land and the solicitor may have had to make a first aplication for registration which can take a lot of time (unless the solicitor takes on additional risk). If you can find the property on the Land Registry website under someone else's name then it was already registered and there's no real excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its not an old house, was built in the 80's. We got a copy of the folio from the land registry and our names are not on it, the previous owners are though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement