Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bar tape.

Options
  • 01-01-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

possibly a stupid question, but ive to re-wrap my bars for the firs ttype since i got it. im just wondering if ill need one roll or two of the tape?
    im thinking of getting this tape, if that makes any difference to the answer of my question.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-microtex-bar-tape/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    possibly a stupid question, but ive to re-wrap my bars for the firs ttype since i got it. im just wondering if ill need one roll or two of the tape?
    im thinking of getting this tape, if that makes any difference to the answer of my question.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-microtex-bar-tape/

That tape will do your bars, it will already be split into two rolls for u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

cheers Zorba, much apprecieated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    cheers Zorba, much apprecieated
    Youtube it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

That fizik tape I found to be not very durable - easily rips and wore very quickly. Was very disappointed with it. Replaced it with some Bontrager tape, I find it be be better in terms of durability. Just my 2c worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Or go to your LBS and see how the different new bikes tape feels. Ended up with some Cube tape as it felt much more comfy than the rest I tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

My LBS reckons Fizik make great saddles, but sh!te bar tape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

"LOOK" bar tape as sold by cycle superstores is the business...closely followed by BONTRANGER as recommended above..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

cheers for the advice folks, yis are great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I got some bar tape a year ago from tmart.com for $3..good as any of the brand names, looks and feels great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭happytramp

countrykid wrote: »
    "LOOK" bar tape as sold by cycle superstores is the business...closely followed by BONTRANGER as recommended above..

The look stuff is very comfortable but I'm not into how visible the embossed look logo is when wrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭andyd12

Very old thread, rather than a new one.

Looking to replace my bar tape on a road bike. Currently have LizardSkins 3.2mm. I prefer it thick. It hasn't lasted very long, started peeling alot.

What are you guys running?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Big fan of Supacuz myself last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for supacaz. Put it on my good bike 2 years ago and it still looks brand new. Not the cheapest, but comes with quality bar plugs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Supacaz is very nice and I much prefer that type of bar plug.

ZIPP Service Course CX Bar tape is quality too and can be picked up much cheaper. Very grippy and thick.

https://www.bike24.com/p229351.html?sku=111001

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

wrapping bars is an art form! ( something I’ve yet to master fully as I always get it wrong)

Back in the day. Eddy Merckx’s mechanic wrapped the bars starting at the stem towards the shifters. He then cut the tape and started at the bar end up to the shifter. By doing it this way, there was no need to uses thin insulating tape to finish/hide the bar tape at the end as the bartape finished under the shifter hoods. It looks very neat but the downside is the tape is wrapped in the opposite direction, which means it “peels” away much easier.

Alberto Contadors mechanic uses a cigarette lighter to melt the tape at the ends instead of using insulating tape. Again it looks very neat but not as durable as using tape. Alberto also liked his bars double wrapped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Always liked the Deda Elementi, holds up to my abuse, comes in different colours and is typically quite cheap

Advertisement