Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO over city

Options
  • 01-01-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Well, I've seen a flying object over around the docks twice now and am hoping for an identification from someone on here.

I wasn't quick enough off the mark to get a picture either time, but it looks like something with a flame/on fire floating quickly enough across the sky. Not an aircraft, I don't think. Its like a balloon in its movements, swift and clean like. But I've no idea what it is. Can anyone take me out of the dark? I'll try get a pic next time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Chinese lantern?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Chinese lantern. Idiots were sending them up last night as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Chinese lantern. They've weirded me out on occasion before realizing what they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yep. Chinese lantern. Idiots were sending them up last night as well.
    There were loads of them last night. Seemed to be organised...but by whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I suppose they're part of a fireworks package.

I am always a bit concerned with Chinese Lanterns that they could break down in the wet/windy weather and end up dropping a still-burning lantern into someone's roof or something.

They don't seem like a very safe idea. At least fireworks they're generally very short lived.

The RSPCA even claims they're a danger to wildlife and farm animals too : http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/litter/chineselanterns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It was New Year's Eve. Sky Lanterns are incredibly popular for NYE.
    Some parties will have a good few of them. Many houses just have one.

Is this seriously a new thing for Galway or something? UFO? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nah we get the same threads all over boards every new years, and not only new years either.

Holy Moly.

I suppose it is a UFO to the uninitiated, but the connotations of using UFO to describe something make me think... Aliens.
    Aliens dispersing flame balloons across the sky to research us.
    Suspiciously coinciding with Halloween, NYE and music festivals.
    Devious bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

grindle wrote: »
    Is this seriously a new thing for Galway or something? UFO? Really?

I meant UFO in the literal sense; wasn't implying anything alien. In my time here I've never seen a Chinese lantern so hadn't a clue what it was!

Cheers for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've never seen one either.
    Fortunately, this thread has come up on boards numerous times :pac:
    Who needs to experience the real world?

• Advertisement

Just put your face up to the screen and squint - it's like you're there.

More+Sky+Lanterns.jpg

Holy crap that image is large. Oh well, adds to the realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

^

AHHH Alien Invasion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Last night someone in Ballybane was launching several one after the other. They're spooky even when you see them close up. One night I saw two fairly high scudding along in a strong wind over the town. Very UFO like.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Solair wrote: »
    I am always a bit concerned with Chinese Lanterns that they could break down in the wet/windy weather and end up dropping a still-burning lantern into someone's roof or something.

They don't seem like a very safe idea. At least fireworks they're generally very short lived.

The RSPCA even claims they're a danger to wildlife and farm animals too : http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/litter/chineselanterns

The IAA and coast guard also want to be notified if you release them, in case they're a danger to planes or mistaken for a rescue flare, this seems to happen quite often.

I've seen one launched once and I was surprised how dangerous they are. The flame isn't just a candle, it's quite big. His lantern got caught in a tree, toppled over, and then righted itself but in the mean time the balloon had caught fire. It went up as a flame ball and came down still burning (luckily in the water). I'm surprised they haven't caused any house fires yet.

As cool as they are I do think they should be banned. Enforcing a ban would be almost impossible though.

Advertisement