Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuing the property you are renting in

Options
  • 01-01-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

I am renting in a nice house in a lovely location. The plan was to stay here until we got planning permission in the area but we have hit some stumbling blocks and we are now reconsidering our position regarding building.

As I said we really like the place we are in so I may approach the owner to see if they would be interested in selling. However I'd like to have an idea of how much it is actually worth at the moment - my question to you all is...could I approach a valuer or estate agent to take a tour around the house and give me a professional value on the property even though I don't own the property?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

could I approach a valuer or estate agent to take a tour around the house and give me a professional value on the property even though I don't own the property?
    You could, but if this is a rural area, realise that there may be a limited number of valuers and that the valuer may have dealings with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Try to think more about the price rather than the value. At the end of the day, you want to pay the least amount possible. The seller will want to get the most amount possible.

Your first stop should be the http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/ to find out if any other properties nearby have sold and the price they sold at.

Then check http://www.myhome.ie/ and http://www.daft.ie/ to see what sellers are "Asking" (Asking, not necessarily getting).

Then have a think about an offer to make and see what the seller says. Unfortunately, the seller might be unrealistic (in your opinion not theirs) or might not want to sell so try not to get attached to any one property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Thanks to you both... good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I am renting in a nice house in a lovely location. The plan was to stay here until we got planning permission in the area but we have hit some stumbling blocks and we are now reconsidering our position regarding building.

As I said we really like the place we are in so I may approach the owner to see if they would be interested in selling. However I'd like to have an idea of how much it is actually worth at the moment - my question to you all is...could I approach a valuer or estate agent to take a tour around the house and give me a professional value on the property even though I don't own the property?

Thanks

Also before you say anything to the landlord try and find out as much as possible about their financial health.
    In other words try and find out if they are on interest only mortgages, worried about property taxes, costs, etc.
    Also if they have other properties in the area and if they are currently rented.
    Check if they have rental properties advertised on Daft.ie, rent.ie.

If you are on friendly terms with the landlord and are chatting some of these little things come out and give a picture of where the landlord is financially.
    Pay attention because what might just sound like the landlord moaning might actually be useful information when doing a deal.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trxking

yes if he says no he has something too hide im sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement