Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening/closing keyless chuck on drill using trigger. Avoid?

• 01-01-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just purchased my first power drill and want to be sure I don't break the damn thing in its first year by using the keyless chuck incorrectly.

When opening/closing the chuck should I always twist it manually, or can I depress the drill trigger (lightly) while holding the collar until it almost closes and then manually tighten it fully?

(as seen on http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20648080,00.html)

I've seen it done in the latter on several youtube videos, but then have also read on other forums how it may damage the motor over time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd say there's zero chance of it damaging the motor even over time, sounds like bs to me. You'd be more likely to damage your hand if you held the chuck too tightly before it locked up. I'd say most people do it the way you described, especially when the torque is turned down. Just hold the chuck loosely for the first few uses until you get familiar with the trigger and torque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

yeah just give it a squeeze and pull the trigger, whatever you do dont have a screw in your hand when you do it, made that mistake more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

grand cheers ... incidentally I don't suppose it would have caused any damage when I got a bit too zealous with the trigger initially and continued to hold the chuck for a moment after it locked producing a slight cracking/grinding sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

mrcheez wrote: »
    grand cheers ... incidentally I don't suppose it would have caused any damage when I got a bit too zealous with the trigger initially and continued to hold the chuck for a moment after it locked producing a slight cracking/grinding sound?

It won't do any harm at all! Iv done this for years and never ruined or damaged a chuck by doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

mrcheez wrote: »

thats just the torque setting kicking in, no harm at all - supposed to do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Most drills double up as electric screwdrivers and have torque adjustment on the collar behind the chuck to control how much force is applied to tighten or to undo a screw. That cracking sound is just the clutch slipping because the torque is turned down so low you can stop it by hand, and is normal. If your drilling holes then turn up the torque setting to the very max (usually indicated by a drill symbol).

Advertisement