Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty in training new lab pup.

• 01-01-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi everyone, first time posting in this forum, happy new year to all.

2 weeks ago we got a beautiful 10 weeks old lab pup. This is our first dog and the dog is being looked after by my parents and myself when I am home. WE are having difficulty toliet training him. We take him out every hour he seems to run around, enjoy himself, or just sit there if we have him on the lead. Once he comes back in the back door he either urinates or defecates within 5 mins.

The pup seems to be confused as he is still doing more inside than outside.

As I said this is our first dog and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

He also seems to be nipping a little and I am very anxious about stopping this behaviour. I have tried ignoring him but he seems to get angry then begin to growl while pulling at mine or whoever elses jeans. I think my parents are beginning to feel they are in a little over their heads but I am only home 3-4 nights a weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There was a post a couple of weeks ago on toilet training - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82232162 Any pics of the pup? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi, I have a 14 weeks puppy and had the same problems in the beginning.
    Now he is not perfect because unfortunately I work and cannot supervise him often, but he learnt a bit.

I had to be Veeery Patient... going out at the toilet break and wait.. wait ... wait... without looking at him..
    in the beginning he was wondering, playing, sitting etc... when finally he was peeing I was the happiest person in the world (really :D freezing ahaha) and giving him a treat.
    It has been difficult.
    Now it's easier, he goes in the backgarden also alone for pee.. or "tell me" that he needs to go.
    Obviously sometimes he has accidents :S

Now we started to walk outside and he need to learn he can go toilet outside as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Treats, treats and more treats. They will soon figure out a pee outside means a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Try getting him to play for a few minutes before you take him out. Get a good game of fetch or tug of war going, and take him out after it. The exercise helps get things moving and my Shadow (at 8 years of age) always finds it easier to go if he's been running about a bit first!

Obviously he can play outside, but if he's playing for about 10 minutes and then you take him in, he's gotten things moving and is going to the loo. To separate the two (playing and toileting) until he is old enough to know the difference, I would suggest getting him to play inside and then taking him out. You'll also avoid losing toes in the cold :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Give him time. Hes 12 weeks old and cant hold it in for a start, so its not his fault when he goes in the house. They cant hold it for long at this age.
    It can take months to train a pup so be patient and consistant and the pup will catch on. Lots of praise and reward when he goes outside.

Make sure you stay outside until he goes, no matter how long it takes. Try not to have any distractions when you bring him out, no playing etc. Just use a command to encourage him to go and only when hes gone should you reward and praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't worry too much about the nipping - he's not angry. It's just typical play behaviour for a puppy. Definitely don't scold him over it. Just re-direct his attention onto something else, like a raggy tug toy.

Advertisement