Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Beers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Another date (Suggest on thread)
    That's an even better idea, but there's f**k all decent places to drink in Swords! Depends what you're into I suppose.
    The Slaughtered Lamb is supposed to be a bit rowdy on a Saturday night AFAIK- never been in it tho. Wright Venue has several different levels playing vcarious genres from *ick* "techno/dubstep" to classic rock and 80s fare upstairs. About a tenner in or so I'm told.
    Alternatively, The Wright Cafe Bar next to the Garda station is a pretty mellow place to go if you don't fancy screaming over too-loud music. Cocktails are €8 though they do weekend promotions.

I'm from Swords BTW. :D A Swords Beers would be awesome as I wouldn't have my overly protective mother ringing me every hour. :rolleyes: Also give me an excuse to get my trenchcoat out of the wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Friday Feb 15th
    McChubbin wrote: »
    The Slaughtered Lamb is supposed to be a bit rowdy on a Saturday night AFAIK- never been in it tho. Wright Venue has several different levels playing vcarious genres from *ick* "techno/dubstep" to classic rock and 80s fare upstairs. About a tenner in or so I'm told.
    Alternatively, The Wright Cafe Bar next to the Garda station is a pretty mellow place to go if you don't fancy screaming over too-loud music. Cocktails are €8 though they do weekend promotions.

I'm from Swords BTW. :D A Swords Beers would be awesome as I wouldn't have my overly protective mother ringing me every hour. :rolleyes: Also give me an excuse to get my trenchcoat out of the wardrobe.

The Wright Venue is a complete shít-hole tbh. Never been in the others.

Tbh a Swords beers might work for some of you, but for the vast majority of us, it'd involve a lot more cost with travelling, because we're all coming from different areas of Dublin. Makes no difference to me personally, a taxi from Swords to my place is the same price as it is from town to my place, but anyone living on the Southside (like Marty or Cupcake, to name two off the top of my head), would be paying an absolute fortune to get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Aye, we need to be fair to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

hate that place only been there a few times but its full of wanna-be rich kids, the same type of people that go to tomangos in portmarnock:p n im from portmarnock:rolleyes:

Friday Feb 15th

I would suggest you all come out to Coolock and I'll show yas all the nightlife here (ha!), but I dunno, town is central for absolutely everyone who's going really. :)

• Advertisement

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I would suggest you all come out to Coolock and I'll show yas all the nightlife here (ha!), but I dunno, town is central for absolutely everyone who's going really. :)

Ah yes. Coolock. I used to frequent the Sheaf O' Wheat back in the day. That was when the bouncers used to GIVE you weapons going in! :pac:

any good drinking spots in coolock, been to dusk a few times n had good nights:)

Friday Feb 15th
    Ah yes. Coolock. I used to frequent the Sheaf O' Wheat back in the day. That was when the bouncers used to GIVE you weapons going in! :pac:

You used to drink in the Sheaf? :eek: The only reason I was safe drinking in there is 'cause my family are extremely well known in the area (the mother's side go back generations in the area). How the hell were you not killed? :pac:

and with a user name like that:pac:

You used to drink in the Sheaf? :eek: The only reason I was safe drinking in there is 'cause my family are extremely well known in the area (the mother's side go back generations in the area). How the hell were you not killed? :pac:

LMFAO!!!! Ah, I look scarier than I actually am! Shhhhhh! :D

• Advertisement

Friday Feb 15th
    LMFAO!!!! Ah, I look scarier than I actually am! Shhhhhh! :D

I know what you look like. :pac: You don't look scary at all!

Perfectly understandable. I only jumped on board the idea as I rarely get out. Okay, I'm not actually physically locked in the attic or anything like that but it's extremely rare of me to be social and whenever I *do* go out I always get flack off my folks. It's justified though as I got drink-spiked in 2010 and I haven't been right since. It's only natural that they worry for my safety when I'm in town. :/
    Maybe we could organize a small, unofficial meet-up for all the Swords boardsies at some stage? I'd love to meet you guys. :o

Friday Feb 15th
    Perfectly understandable. I only jumped on board the idea as I rarely get out. Okay, I'm not actually physically locked in the attic or anything like that but it's extremely rare of me to be social and whenever I *do* go out I always get flack off my folks. It's justified though as I got drink-spiked in 2010 and I haven't been right since. It's only natural that they worry for my safety when I'm in town. :/
    Maybe we could organize a small, unofficial meet-up for all the Swords boardsies at some stage? I'd love to meet you guys. :o

Being spiked is terrifying. I had it happen twice and I spent a few years being waaaaay over-cautious about drinking after it.

Tbh though, you're in the same amount of 'danger' in Swords or in town, difference in town being that there will be loads of us there to keep an eye out for you. I know the bouncers and all the bar staff in Gypsy, and I know all the bar staff and bouncers in Hell too, so you'll be perfectly safe.

If you want, you can always tell your parents you know a few of us in real life already? My mam used to get over protective til I started switching my phone off. :pac: Now, she just lets me do whatever I want, since I'm 23 anyway. :)

I know what you look like. :pac: You don't look scary at all!

Ah, but you haven't seen "the look" and you haven't seen me angry! :pac:

hulk-7.gif

Yep, I'd be on for that.

@ Lynda: I'll have to see what the folks say. Although they tell me I'm not on a curfew, I still have to get home before it "gets too late" which is basically the same thing as a curfew. :rolleyes: I might try and sway them by saying I'm going with a mate. Can't hurt to try. :/

@Please Kill Me: Name a time and place in Swords. AFAIK you can book tables in most of the places in the village. I hear Mastersons is quite nice but it's expensive. I personally recommend Wright's Cafe Bar as it's not as 'tacky' as the other venue, the staff are friendly, they have drink promos and you don't have to scream over the music.
    There's also two bus stops and a taxi rink nearby so it's sound in respects to travel. Granted, I'm hopeless at organizing things but I'll try my best and make some enquiries. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The Wright Venue is a complete shít-hole tbh. Never been in the others.

Tbh a Swords beers might work for some of you, but for the vast majority of us, it'd involve a lot more cost with travelling, because we're all coming from different areas of Dublin. Makes no difference to me personally, a taxi from Swords to my place is the same price as it is from town to my place, but anyone living on the Southside (like Marty or Cupcake, to name two off the top of my head), would be paying an absolute fortune to get home.

Dublin?? **** you!! Some of us are coming from other counties!!

On a related note I always find it weird when people especially adults go on about what their parents will and wont let them do, My parents started treating me as an adult when I turned 16 and always find it weird that anyone over 18 let their parents tell em what to do.

Also I've been putting in alot of practice for these beers

@Please Kill Me: Name a time and place in Swords. AFAIK you can book tables in most of the places in the village. I hear Mastersons is quite nice but it's expensive. I personally recommend Wright's Cafe Bar as it's not as 'tacky' as the other venue, the staff are friendly, they have drink promos and you don't have to scream over the music.
    There's also two bus stops and a taxi rink nearby so it's sound in respects to travel. Granted, I'm hopeless at organizing things but I'll try my best and make some enquiries. :)

No worries. I've been to Wright's Cafe Bar a few times. The only thing that annoys me about the place is the pretentious dicks in the place. Maybe it's not as bad as it used to be though. When I lived in Swords, The Pound and The Hawthorn were my local haunts.

On a related note I always find it weird when people especially adults go on about what their parents will and wont let them do, My parents started treating me as an adult when I turned 16 and always find it weird that anyone over 18 let their parents tell em what to do.

While that's generally true, sometimes there are circumstances that dictate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'll probably have grown children myself by the time my parents consider treating me like an adult :pac: My mam was gonna make a 90 minute trip yesterday to take care of me cause I have a cold! She's just protective of me. Can be annoying but she always means we'll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did you bother to read her posts? I'm sure it's great that your folks let you do what the hell you want, but if someone else's parents are concerned because of previous incidents, why knock them because of it?

Wheatons Law applies man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Friday Feb 15th
    No worries. I've been to Wright's Cafe Bar a few times. The only thing that annoys me about the place is the pretentious dicks in the place. Maybe it's not as bad as it used to be though. When I lived in Swords, The Pound and The Hawthorn were my local haunts.

Here, I do be in there on occasion :mad: But then I am from the southside. :pac:

That beers in swords thing got a lot traction, the actual beers should be in town but I'm always up for more drinking. Anyways I want loud blaring metal.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

This is where O'Reillys/Club Hell is: http://goo.gl/maps/XmHVp. You can also just hang a right after the Ulster Bank ATM under the bridge, which is here: http://goo.gl/maps/Hc7UX. You'll most likely hear music blarin' from the street anyway!

IMO, ye'd wanna be meeting in here first before Gypsy Rose, as it'd be kinda like leaving a niteclub to go to a pub if it was done the other way round.

Friday Feb 15th
    In fairness, I can understand McChubbin's parents being over-protective if she's been spiked before. My parents also let me do my own thing since I turned 16, but when I was spiked, they freaked out and would call me 10+ times on every night out after that for a few months. It's concern, and completely understandable, that's why I tried to reassure her that I know all the staff (I genuinely do) in both bars, everyone should be able to feel safe while we're out.

Unrelated note - I won't be drinking, but I'm still going. :)

Orim wrote: »
    Here, I do be in there on occasion :mad: But then I am from the southside. :pac:

Pffft. Nuff said!!! :p :pac:

Orim wrote: »
    That beers in swords thing got a lot traction, the actual beers should be in town but I'm always up for more drinking. Anyways I want loud blaring metal.

I wouldn't mind somewhere playing good old 80's metal/rock at a high decibel level either. Unfortunately most places are like this:

smiley-music012.gif

:pac: :pac:

In fairness, I can understand McChubbin's parents being over-protective if she's been spiked before. My parents also let me do my own thing since I turned 16, but when I was spiked, they freaked out and would call me 10+ times on every night out after that for a few months. It's concern, and completely understandable, that's why I tried to reassure her that I know all the staff (I genuinely do) in both bars, everyone should be able to feel safe while we're out.

Unrelated note - I won't be drinking, but I'm still going. :)
    And why would she trust you???
    Orim wrote:
    I'm saying it now, I'm not drinking any crazy shots
    You fucking well are!
    I'm a northsider. I know how to spike drinks. :mad:

:pac:

Friday Feb 15th
    And why would she trust you???

:pac:

PMSL! :pac: I can never win with you lot! I act like a smart-arse, I get it back tenfold (I find that brilliant, though). I act nice and I get it thrown back in my face. Fúck you, Damo! :p

I act nice and I get it thrown back in my face. Fúck you, Damo! :p

Yeah but it's SO out of character for you!. :P

*runs while ducking*

:D

Friday Feb 15th
    Yeah but it's SO out of character for you!. :P

*runs while ducking*

:D

No need to even run, that is true. :pac: The only person I act really nice around is Marty and that's only after he persevered until I stopped acting like a smart arse and accepted that I like being nice. :pac: The rest of you can feck off if you think you're seeing that side of me, though! :p

PMSL! :pac: I can never win with you lot! I act like a smart-arse, I get it back tenfold (I find that brilliant, though). I act nice and I get it thrown back in my face. Fúck you, Damo! :p

One of my uncles 3 rules for life comes into play here:

1. Don't smoke in bed.
    2. Never trust a whitey.
    3. Don't shít a shítter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Friday Feb 15th
    Swords beers?! Do i look like I'm made of money?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Friday Feb 15th
    Swords beers?! Do i look like I'm made of money?? :eek:

It's a local beers for local people :P