Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 – The year of the Beasty? …

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Final event for me - a non-championship 50+ scratch race. About 30 signed up, but only 15 actually signed on and 13 turned up. We were informed we would be taken out of the race if we were lapped in the 8km (32 lap) race

Anyway I wasn't the first one called out ...

Actually I managed to hang on for just under half the race but lost a wheel at the wrong time and then the "catch" became an inevitability. I think there were 7 or so left in at that time so I guess I didn't do too badly, particularly as I was a bit de-mob happy.

Now looking forward to next year - my last in this age group so I'm now looking to the year after to hopefully start delivering some significant positional improvements

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

November 2011 - 658km at 81rpm
    November 2012 - 786km at 91rpm
    November 2013 - 1,087km at 101rpm - that's around 228,000 pedal revolutions in the month.

I'm hoping working at the higher cadence is going to provide a better base for track racing next year - well that's what I'm advised - keeping to 100rpm or so is the target. It took a while to get used to, although I've managed to keep at or above 100rpm for each ride during the month. That's excluding zeros, but they have only been about 7-8% of my time in the saddle, with 100+ rpm for around 70% or so. I've also been doing some "little ring sprints" - basically low power but maximum cadence - I started off the month being able to average about 170rpm for 10s, and ended it with a PM of 186rpm, average 185rpm over 10s

It's been a month of building the base miles - next month I aim to raise the efforts a little while maintaining the cadence - may be a bit of an issue in the short term though as the back's been playing up for a few days. Hopefully it will clear up soon, as currently I'm suffering a bit with sciatica in my lower right leg, particularly over longer spins.

Advertisement