Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2013 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Peregrine Falcon

Gerry91 wrote: »
    He won Montreal and Cinci pulling up (bar close game v Djok at Montreal). He's unbeaten on hard courts. Who on earth else would have beaten him at us? I'm a Murray fan but Nadal would have demolished him. He'd concede about 5 games v fed

I'm not even rafas biggest fan but to say he'd an easy draw is harsh. He blew every one away. Gasquet and kohlschreiber are tricky players. He made his draw look easy

He'll win AO if he's fit. He'll walk French obviously we don't know from there as its so far away but he's the most determined player on tour, he'll bust his backside get the 4. Playing a fully determined Rafa is one of the most unenviable tasks in sport

As much as I love Murray he just can't match this :(

He's basically unbeatable now, why can't he be the same next year

He's not unbeatable, Djokovic on top form beats him on any surface IMO 70-80 % percent of the time.

This is Nadal one of sports greatest competitors for years now. He won't just slip away, he's a freak

Djok was okay by comparison in 10 but just came really, really good for one year.

He's lost THREE matches this year. One was his first tournie in 7 months. I really don't think people are appreciating this as much as they should it is frankly a ridiculous stat

He is having a fantastic year, his win % for the year is third best of all time so far, only behind Fed 2006 and McEnroe 1984. But look what happened in 2009 and 2011 after two great years for Nadal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

He's not unbeatable, Djokovic on top form beats him on any surface IMO 70-80 % percent of the time.

Any surface??? Clay?

He's lost the last 3 times he's played him in general anyway

He is having a fantastic year, his win % for the year is third best of all time so far, only behind Fed 2006 and McEnroe 1984. But look what happened in 2009 and 2011 after two great years for Nadal.

In 2009 he won australian open for first time. In 2011 he made 3 slam finals, losing 2 to an inspired Djokovic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I think Djokovic will see this year as a bit of a disappointment. Yes, he reached 3 Grand Slam finals but he only won one. That won't be good enough for him. He'll be desperate to defend his Tour Finals title in November.

Any surface??? Clay?

He's lost the last 3 times he's played him in general anyway

Yea on clay, Djokovic comfortably beat Nadal at Rome and Madrid in 2011 and even beat him this year at Monte Carlo. If Federer hadn't beaten Djokovic in the FO Semi in 2011 Djokovic would have beaten Nadal in the Final.

In 2009 he won australian open for first time. In 2011 he made 3 slam finals, losing 2 to an inspired Djokovic...

In 2009 he lost at the French in 4th round, missed Wimbledon and lost in semi at US Open. Disappointing year for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    I think Djokovic will see this year as a bit of a disappointment. Yes, he reached 3 Grand Slam finals but he only won one. That won't be good enough for him. He'll be desperate to defend his Tour Finals title in November.

Technically this is right, but....:pac:

The French semi between him and Nadal was the default final, everyone knew that day that Ferrer and Tsonga wouldn't have a hope in the final especially Ferrer whose record against both is abysmal.

So basically he has lost 3 Slam finals in a row, and he has been in positions of strength in all.

In the French final, he was 4-2 up in last set, but their was net incident, he was a break up in the second and third set of Wimbledon final but couldn't get it done and of course he should have won the third set on Monday.

Lets not forget 2012 would have been considered a poor year as well, lost the French final, went out in the semis at Wimbledon, no medal at the Olympics and lost his US title.

Its not been a bad two years but ultimately he will regard both as letdowns, Australia Open titles are nice but its the least important Slam, so he would have wanted more but he couldn't get it done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's a shame the Australian Open isn't regarded as highly as the others. It's the same set up, it's the same players, it takes the same effort.

It's a shame the Australian Open isn't regarded as highly as the others. It's the same set up, it's the same players, it takes the same effort.

I actually love it as well, French bores me senseless, and the US at times with its odd scheduling annoys me, but for most players its the least important Slam.

Tomorrow, you put a gun to all the top 4 players and ask them to write down the Slams they would rather win in order next year, sadly Aus for most would be at the bottom, even for Novak:(:(

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Tomorrow, you put a gun to all the top 4 players and ask them to write down the Slams they would rather win in order next year, sadly Aus for most would be at the bottom, even for Novak:(:(

Yep, and if you asked them to list which Slam is actually the best to play at, in terms of organisation, scheduling, fun etc.... the Aus Open would probably be top.

Yep, and if you asked them to list which Slam is actually the best to play at, in terms of organisation, scheduling, fun etc.... the Aus Open would probably be top.

Agreed, seems like great fun altogether especially compared to the other three especially the French and Wimbledon which takes themselves very seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Regarding the status of the Australian Open. I think it stems back to the time when it was held at the end of the year rather than the beginning and most of the top players didn't even bother showing up? Andre Agassi didn't even bother playing it until 1995, something he surely regrets given it turned out to be his most successful slam.

I think the 'stigma', so to speak, is fading and will continue to do so over time. I mean, I think everyone thinks of Azarenka as a two-time slam winner full stop, rather than thinking "oh but it was the Australian Open she won".

Davis Cup SFs are this weekend. Canada vs. Serbia is in Belgrade, on indoor clay. Djokovic is playing, which will be a big boost to the team. According to the Davis Cup site, the teams are Djokovic, Tipsy, Lajovic and Zimonjic (SRB) and Raonic, Pospisil, Dancevic and Nestor (CAN).

The other SF is Argentina vs. Czech Republic. This one's in Prague on indoor hard courts. No Delpo is listed on the website...big loss. The Czechs lead the H2H 4-1. Teams are Berdych, Rosol, Stepanek and Vesely (CZE) and Monaco, Berlocq, Zeballos and Mayer (ARG).

I predict a Serbian-Czech final in November.

Canada have been playing really well in Davis Cup this year, but then again they were at home their previous two ties. Have to favour Serbia there but I think it'll be a close one.

Can't see past the Czechs in the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Great Britain up against Croatia in World Group playoff... Andy Murray one man show again most likely

Tox56 wrote: »
    Great Britain up against Croatia in World Group playoff... Andy Murray one man show again most likely

You clearly weren't paying attention during the US Open. Dan Evans is a world beater now. He'll play both singles rubbers and doubles by himself.

Anna Chakvetadze has officially retired. No surprises there.

You clearly weren't paying attention during the US Open. Dan Evans is a world beater now. He'll play both singles rubbers and doubles by himself.

Blindfolded just to give Croatia a chance.

• Advertisement

Janowicz is out of Poland's Davis Cup tie with Australia this weekend. Still nursing the spine injury he picked up in the US.

Federer down to play double in China...

Sharapova was interviewed on Larry King where she said she's hoping to be back for Istanbul. She's not promising anything though, and tbh I sincerely doubt she will be back. I actually really missed her at the US Open, but I don't think many others did :o It's a shame she wasn't able to play it actually, looking back at how open the bottom half of the draw was you'd imagine she might have been able to get to the final.

Anyone know a way to watch the Larry King interview by the way??

I missed her :( I didn't give a flying flip about the women's draw. She would never have won it but she might have made one quarter of the draw at least a bit more interesting.

Incredible scenes in the Davis Cup in what many are saying is one of the biggest shocks in tennis history, lowly ranked Ivan Dodig has somehow managed to beat the unbeatable English superpower Daniel Evans in three straight sets. :eek::eek::eek:

Kvitova and Stepanek definitely an item. She was at the Davis Cup matches yesterday and there's vomit inducing photos of them making kissy face.

Meanwhile in Serbia it's 1-1 after Raonic somehow managed to win against Tipsy. Interesting to see who ends up playing doubles for both sides now.

• Advertisement

Kvitova and Stepanek definitely an item. She was at the Davis Cup matches yesterday and there's vomit inducing photos of them making kissy face.

Meanwhile in Serbia it's 1-1 after Raonic somehow managed to win against Tipsy. Interesting to see who ends up playing doubles for both sides now.

Vomit inducing as right

Looks like Murray's back is causing trouble. Clay seems to bring out the worst in it

Nadal absolutely obliterated Stavkohsky the guy who beat Fed at WImbldeon. Two bagels thrown in for decent measure

Vomit inducing as right

Looks like Murray's back is causing trouble. Clay seems to bring out the worst in it

Nadal absolutely obliterated Stavkohsky the guy who beat Fed at WImbldeon. Two bagels thrown in for decent measure

Wonder sometimes whether Murray should just skip the French Open altogether and practice on grass early. It's never going to happen of course but clay doesn't seem to suit him, Nadal will dominate anyway, the surface seems to cause him all sorts of hassle with injuries and the extra practice on grass (a surface he is very good on) will give him a head start over the likes of Nadal when it comes to Wimbledon.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Wonder sometimes whether Murray should just skip the French Open altogether and practice on grass early. It's never going to happen of course but clay doesn't seem to suit him, Nadal will dominate anyway, the surface seems to cause him all sorts of hassle with injuries and the extra practice on grass (a surface he is very good on) will give him a head start over the likes of Nadal when it comes to Wimbledon.

Agree. It worked a treat this year

Yes I know he was carrying a back injury but if Wimbledon was on during that week the French was he would've played I'd bet my house on it

Tactical withdrawal we'll call it!

Agree. It worked a treat this year

Yes I know he was carrying a back injury but if Wimbledon was on during that week the French was he would've played I'd bet my house on it

Tactical withdrawal we'll call it!

He was doing full on practices the same week that RG was on. It was tactical of course. Probably not a "skip this and win Wimbledon" decision but more a "I'm not going to do very well here anyway so I might as well skip it" kind of thing.

Other players do it all the time so there's no shame.

He ended up playing doubles anyway and won! To be fair he's one of the top doubles players in the world aswell!

Dodig now in singles. To be fair Murray will be busting his backside here for his country, so he should come through

Some random singles tournament and you wouldn't know but he'll give his all here

Down to play Bangkok I see! Trying to get as much ranking points as possible? Should win Tokyo anyway. Wtf will be interesting

• Advertisement

Murray wins in straight sets. Bit of controversy at the end but Murray comfortable winner. As predicted a one man show, will be intetesting to see GB in the world group, when you have someone who can beat anyone like Murray, you almost have a 2 match head start against most countries. Hard to see where GB will get the 3rd win from though

^ That's assuming Murray even plays all the ties. He's a one a year kind of guy lately. He blames it on their scheduling on the tour but whatever the reason it'll be interesting to see if he plays all the ties now they're back in World Group. They'll be right back down if he doesn't.

The Thomas Drouet diaries: Seven months on the ATP tour with Bernard and John Tomic
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/the-thomas-drouet-diaries-seven-months-on-the-atp-tour-with-bernard-and-john-tomic/story-fndkzym4-1226719297918
    Interesting read. Part 2 is to come.

Marin Cilic gets 9 month drugs ban from ITF, back-dated to May. Misses the Australian Open as a result.

Mr Cilic asserted that the nikethamide, for which he did not hold a valid TUE, had entered his system through his ingestion of Coramine glucose tablets that had been purchased on his behalf from a pharmacy. The Independent Tribunal found that Mr Cilic ingested the nikethamide inadvertently as a result of taking the Coramine glucose tablets, and did not intend to enhance his performance in doing so, and that he therefore met the preconditions of Article 10.4 of the Programme, which entitles him to a reduction of the Period of Ineligibility for Specified Substance based on an assessment of his fault.

Apparently, his mother bought him the glucose tablets.

More info

^ It's a plausible explanation but at the same time you have to wonder why an athlete wouldn't be 100% sure about any supplement or medication they take.

Yeah I'm giving him the benefit here myself tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

^ It's a plausible explanation but at the same time you have to wonder why an athlete wouldn't be 100% sure about any supplement or medication they take.

Exactly, they wouldn't. I'm sure the top players have doctors and nutritionists on the payroll, they don't have people popping down to boots to buy random supplements for them.

He's a doper, the iTF will accept his story as it looks a little better for all concerned if it was an honest mistake.

Exactly, they wouldn't. I'm sure the top players have doctors and nutritionists on the payroll, they don't have people popping down to boots to buy random supplements for them.

He's a doper, the iTF will accept his story as it looks a little better for all concerned if it was an honest mistake.

Who is to say it wasn't an honest mistake in fairness

Of course there is doping in tennis and probably even amongst some of the top players sadly but it's very easy play the cynic here. There may have been foul play involved but in all fairness, we either take his word for it or we don't

Part 2 of the Thomas Drouet diaries.
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/inside-the-violent-and-volatile-world-of-john-tomic-part-two-of-our-astonishing-serialisation-of-tennis-star-thomas-drouet8217s-diary/story-fndkzym4-1226719484382

John Tomic has a slightly different version of events though :)
    http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/i-am-now-regretting-why-i-really-didnt-punch-him-20130917-2txbs.html

The more you read about the Tomic's, the more you realise how utterly hopeless Bernard's situation is. He's never going to get rid of his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Doesn't AO have the biggest prize money and then USO second?

• Advertisement

Martina Hingis has called an end to her season, and is undecided on playing 2014. Oh dear.

Andy Murray out for rest of the season, getting an operation on his back next Monday. Hope he'll be alright for the beginning of 2014...

Serena has pulled out of Tokyo, saying she's "disappointed"... as if she was ever going to play it anyway :pac:

Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see Murray during clay season next year.

He's gonna lose a fair few ranking points but he's much better getting this seen to. His back has clearly been at him since that Granollers match. I don't think he was even fully fit at Wimbledon until later rounds when adrenalin/ will-to-win and hunger just took over

We'll be seeing him at Sports Personality this year now for sure ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see Murray during clay season next year.

We'll be seeing him at Sports Personality this year now for sure ;)

The Sport's Personality award is always in December so he never had any real reason to miss it anyway. With all those Olympians out of the way this year though he's a shoe in to actually win.

The Sport's Personality award is always in December so he never had any real reason to miss it anyway. With all those Olympians out of the way this year though he's a shoe in to actually win.

Well he was doing pre season last year in fairness but the argument was done to death at the time so really not getting into it again :o

Well he was doing pre season last year in fairness but the argument was done to death at the time so really not getting into it again :o

He'll be doing preseason again then this year. He's only having a minor operation. Won't play for the rest of the year but he'll be training by December for sure. Would be funny if they actually gave it to him this year but he didn't bother showing up.

He'll be doing preseason again then this year. He's only having a minor operation. Won't play for the rest of the year but he'll be training by December for sure. Would be funny if they actually gave it to him this year but he didn't bother showing up.

Wouldn't surprise me he's not into stuff like that at all

He most likely will though and we'll have to put up with how boring and grumpy he is and the likes.

Joe Calzaghe got it before and he was in Vegas at a fight (as a spectator!). Poor aul Murray got the abuse last year and he didn't even win. But it has definitely happened a few times the winner wasn't there.

It's not that big a deal anyway they have their own two minute interview during the show and then quick speech at the end. Doing it on video is just as handy

I see why he doesn't go though. Training in Miami spend a day flying back, go to awards, fly back again, recover and then go training, taking a couple days off in process. Far easier just stay there but whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Martina Hingis has called an end to her season, and is undecided on playing 2014. Oh dear.

Andy Murray out for rest of the season, getting an operation on his back next Monday. Hope he'll be alright for the beginning of 2014...

Serena has pulled out of Tokyo, saying she's "disappointed"... as if she was ever going to play it anyway :pac:

Lisicki also out with Fever accrding to her twitter.

flazio wrote: »
    Lisicki also out with Fever accrding to her twitter.

:rolleyes:

She'd play if it was grass!

Good win for Venus today, but a somewhat hollow victory considering Vika played at about 5%.
    And just what was up with Vika today?! No shrieking whatsoever! :eek:

• Advertisement

She's ill apparently.

Advertisement