Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scart vs. HDMI

Options
  • 01-01-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

i got an xbox for Christmas!!!!!!!!! Yippee.

It's connected to the telly with a scart lead. If i replaced it with a HDMI lead would there be much of an improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

radiat wrote: »

It's connected to the telly with a scart lead. If i replaced it with a HDMI lead would there be much of an improvement?

Yes much better. Make sure you change the setup on the Xbox so that it outputs in HD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

God yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Huge improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Ridiculously better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

A bigger improvement than the €1.50/€2 price tag of a HDMI cable in the euro shops would lead you to believe but it will be a massive jump in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

not even a contest man, go get a hdmi cable asap, you'll be ****ting yourself with how much better it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yes I would recommend it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Assuming it's a HD TV (as it has hdmi, I guess it is), agree with the above. Huge improvement. Don't let some toss pot talk you into spending a small fortune on a hdmi. The cheap ones are just as good as the extensive ones, especially over short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Would the same be true of a PS2. I bought a new tv last week and went to connect it today - to play a dvd. Found I had three leads going to five sockets. Sorted them out but quality was total rubbish - no colour, poor picture.

If I got a HDMI lead would it work OK?

My son suggests I simply get a blueray dvd player instead. The PS2 is something one of my sons left behind and is never used except for the occasional dvd. It worked fine with the old, very very old, tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Black Dog wrote: »
    Would the same be true of a PS2. I bought a new tv last week and went to connect it today - to play a dvd. Found I had three leads going to five sockets. Sorted them out but quality was total rubbish - no colour, poor picture.

My son suggests I simply get a blueray dvd player instead. The PS2 is something one of my sons left behind and is never used except for the occasional dvd. It worked fine with the old, very very old, tv.

Playstation 2's don't have HDMI. The port that may look like it is actually a proprietary video out port, AV/MULTI OUT.

EDIT: If your TV has component video, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have composite video.

See this picture - http://0.tqn.com/d/gi491/1/0/7/-/-/-/Photograph-6.jpg, does the back panel of your TV have the ports at the VIDEO/AUDIO label?

If it does, match them to the ports above VIDEO/AUDIO, not the Y Pb Pr ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmmm are we talking a ps2 or a ps3 here ???? 2 very different things, if its a ps3 yes HDMI cable from the euro shop all the way, if its a ps2 i dont even think hdmi was around nduring their lifetime,

In the mean time , your 3 leads to 5 situation there is composite cable to component input on the tv , id suggest a composite to scart adaptor, usually in the box if it is a ps2. but can be found in tesco etc. its a little black block you plug the 3 leads into and then connect to the scart input on the TV

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yes. Let me give you an example: The boyfriend was playing GTA IV and the text in parts of the game was fuzzy, difficult to make out (this was on a 32" LCD TV). I convinced him to switch to HDMI and suddenly that text, and all the picture, was sharp. He could read it now clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

great, i'll get one quick
    -OP

Hi Earthly Pangaea and Calex71,

Many thanks for your replies.

It is indeed a PS2 - three leads while the tv has one line of five similar sockets. The tv is a Samsung 32inch FHD WEB 3D.

Calex71, the idea of a scart adaptor seems a cheap option to do the trick though I worry about taking the Sky scart connection out every time I want to look at a dvd.

There's always a problem!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

As everyone has already stated, you'll have a vast improvement in picture quality moving from SCART to HDMI. You're basically going from annologue to digital.

On a side note, the price of the HDMI cable doesn't really represent the quality of the reception you'll get. HDMI is digital, so there's either a perfect signal or none at all. The main difference between the price on the cables in the quality of the connectors used at each end.

I picked up a bunch of cheap HDMI's when Lidl had them cheap and they work just as well as a pricey one I splashed out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

does anyone know where i can get cheap ones in Dublin?
    With P&P there's not a whole pile of difference in price online

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

does anyone know where i can get cheap ones in Dublin?
    With P&P there's not a whole pile of difference in price online
    Any 2 euro shop has them, they're pretty short though, but that is better for the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

It is indeed a PS2 - three leads while the tv has one line of five similar sockets. The tv is a Samsung 32inch FHD WEB 3D.

Calex71, the idea of a scart adaptor seems a cheap option to do the trick though I worry about taking the Sky scart connection out every time I want to look at a dvd.

A scart adaptor won't improve your picture quality as it is still using the yellow composite connector for the picture. If you get a PS2/PS3 RGB scart cable then it would improve the picture.

However, you can get a PS2/PS3 component cable (this will have five RCA connections) that will plug into those five sockets on your TV. That will give the best picture you can get from a PS2.

Many thanks, Abbir.
    I had a look around Harvey Normans and couldn't see such a connection. On the other hand, a blue ray dvd player is available for 90Euro. It might be the best in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hi lads,

I'm currently using the 5 separate component leads into the relevant ports which is displaying at 720/480, 60hz.

Is HDMI a further improvement or is this the optimum display setting for a 360?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm currently using the 5 separate component leads into the relevant ports which is displaying at 720/480, 60hz.

Is HDMI a further improvement or is this the optimum display setting for a 360?

HDMI all the way, then you can go to 1080p at 60hz assuming the TV can do 1080p. 720p is the mid setting for a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

HDMI all the way, then you can go to 1080p at 60hz assuming the TV can do 1080p. 720p is the mid setting for a 360.
    You can do 1080P on component too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Meesared wrote: »
    Yep but they have to be specific hd component cables.

All Xbox component cables are HD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

How do I change it to 1080 then while still using the component cables?

If your TV supports 1080P it will show up in the resolution list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Meesared wrote: »
    Some TV's don't support 1080p over Component, but most do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The difference between proper RGB scart and those ****ty red and yellow composite cables is staggaring. The amount of times I see people connect composite scart cables for their AV equipment when it supports RGB is insane. I see projectors in pubs with composite cables sticking out the back.

Composite scart gives you washed out colours and horrible horrible dot crawl. Proper RGB scart cables give you a beautiful solid picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Like going from Betamax to Blu Ray

• Advertisement
Advertisement