Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish all died suddenly!?

Options
  • 01-01-2013 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

So still in a little shock here, bought live rock yesterday and placed it in the tank at around 5pm yesterday and 24 hours later 3 fish died, within the hour 10 fish were dead and so was my little shrimp

Im going to clean out the tank tomorrow and switch to tropical, lost too much money cant believe they died so quick, no power cuts or anything, only difference was I switched from flakes to pellets and the new live rock :(

Has anyone on here ever experienced anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Sorry to hear about all your fish, stick with it and learn what happened and why, start again, I cant help you because I dont know but having had a total wipe out with cold water fish when I started the hobby that was my strategy, maybe your tank was too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'd imagine if all you changed was put in live rock that was the cause. Some contamination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Did you buy the Live rock in a Shop or get it from someone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

bfocusd wrote: »
    So still in a little shock here, bought live rock yesterday and placed it in the tank, at around 5pm and today at about 5pm 3 fish died, within the hour 10 fish were dead and so was my little shrimp

Im going to clean out the tank tomorrow and switch to tropical, lost too much money cant believe they died so quick, no power cuts or anything, only difference was I switched from flakes to pellets and the new live rock :(

Has anyone on here ever experienced anything like this?

I'm guessing something came in with the live rock. Did you do any tests?

Where did you get it? Can you go back to them with it? They might have had similar problems for other customers.

Sorry to hear it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I'd imagine if all you changed was put in live rock that was the cause. Some contamination

Let the store know about this, they may be able to help you and I'm sure they would be interested in knowing and that there could be an issue with their live rocks. Most reputable stores will want to help rectify a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I got the rock off a lad that was breaking down his tank, im devastated, the tank is 260l so its not small, I had 10 fish, one shrimp , 3 turbo snails and 5 little tiny lobster/snail things, cant think of the species name

The live rock was in a living tank and I know others had bought the stuff and their fish was all okay

Ive had a bit of a revelation earlier though, I think someone may have disconnected the filter and they died from oxygenation?

The first two that died were the larger fish both of them were the same species, then the smaller ones started to try almost gasp for air at the top of the tank, has anyone else had fish die from lack of oxygen? The last fish to die was a little bottom feeder

Also to put another kick in the ass I was going to but the air pump today too :( it could have saved them if it was oxygenation

I love marine fish and the corals etc but having lost near 400 euro in live stock I firstly feel like crying and secondly will be forced to switch to tropical, ive got a 25l tropical tank about a week so maybe I could convert it to a nano reef?

I cant believe it, within the hour they are all dying,

I cleaned out my tank today and in the sand on thebottom of the tank there was a worm about 4/5" long and kinda thin looking, no idea where its come from or if it could of killed the fish. Ive two little guys which had a bit more movement left and im trying to keep them alive until I can get them to the store tomorrow, maybe they could go into quarantine or something?
    Anyone know anything about worms in the tank?

Im new to marine too, but the tank is my grandfather and mine, he said hes never seen anything kill them all so quick and hes had all sorts of fish over the years so apologise if im not completely up to date with all the terms

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

if u r getting into freshwater,i can give u a few fish if you are close to cavan.

soap1978 wrote: »
    if u r getting into freshwater,i can give u a few fish if you are close to cavan.

Im dublin and the tank is in offaly, thanks a million for the offer though :)

Advertisement