Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limp

• 01-01-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all

Over the last week or two my 8 month Jack Russell has been limping on and off. When I first noticed it I checked her whole paw and there was nothing visible and she didnt mind me feeling her leg. We had been in the woods earlier so I think she hurt it a little up there. After that day it went away. Now it seems to come back out of the blue.

When she is playing with another dog or on a walk the limp is gone. It seems to be there when she is looking for attention or begging for food.

Can a dog fake a limp? She will be going to the vet in the next few days anyways but I find it weird how this limp only comes back when she wants something. She doesn't seem in pain.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes, dogs can learn to limp if reinforced for doing it.
    However, I wouldn't be banking on this being your answer: the adrenaline released during play or excitement of going for a walk can mask pain. Also, JRTs are prone to hip and knee problems. However, you don't say if it's a front or hind leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh yea they must definitely can fake a limp! My old JRT x Staffie was a demon for it, if she wanted something she would walk on her front legs dragging her back ones as if she was paralyzed. Gave me a few scares but it always cleared right up after dinner time! My cat lifts his paw as though it's hurt when he wants to come in and another old cat I had would limp if he wanted something from my mother as she was the only one who would give in to him. Still, you would be better off getting it checked out with the vet just in case it is an actual problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 somewherenear

Hi

It's her front paw. I did baby her a bit when I first seen it and I am thinking this might be the reason for it.
    I am bringing her to the vet Thursday anyways hopefully she has it so he can see. Usually when we go somewhere its gone though.

Advertisement