Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joinery Workshop with bench drill

Options
  • 01-01-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi folks

New to the forum and looking to benefit from your expertise

I have 30 holes to drill, 25-28mm diameter, through 90x90mm softwood.
    I've tried using my hand drill but ideally this needs a solid bench drill to get the holes clean and straight.

Would anyone know of a timber supplier / carpentry workshop where I could get this done - preferably within 5-6 miles of rathfarnham / stillorgan.

Any advise greatly appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Don't know of any workshop but it would have to be a powerful bench drill. I burned out the wiring on my 750 watt bench drill by drilling the same kind of holes.Bench drills are like bandsaws, the bigger the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gerry Hat Trick

Thanks recipio
    i've a 1050w hand drill which seems up to the job. Its the kickback if it jams and the accuracy which were the problem. I've experimented on some waste timber today and with a series of pilot holes from each side and slow careful drilling I managed to get through ten of them relatively ok in half an hour or so. I'll probably get through the rest if I get a chance tomorrow. Not perfect but it's getting the job done. Still interested for the next time if anyone knows whether there are any joinery workshops who could do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'm in Kildare and could do this no bother it shouldn't be that hard just have to use the right drill bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks recipio
    i've a 1050w hand drill which seems up to the job. Its the kickback if it jams and the accuracy which were the problem. I've experimented on some waste timber today and with a series of pilot holes from each side and slow careful drilling I managed to get through ten of them relatively ok in half an hour or so. I'll probably get through the rest if I get a chance tomorrow. Not perfect but it's getting the job done. Still interested for the next time if anyone knows whether there are any joinery workshops who could do this.

Try and use a fence if possible. I have a small Multico mortiser which I use in drill mode all the time.Its a great little machine as it has a fence but the travel distance of the chuck is limited. Next time I'd go for a floor mounted drill press with variable speed the most powerful motor I could afford !

Advertisement