Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best solution?

• 01-01-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I live in kiltale meath (near trim) and eircom are out of range! on an 02 dongle at the minute but they are terrible! was wondering the best solution for my problem? satellite? would love to be able to play ps3 online :/
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Shanew14 wrote: »
    I live in kiltale meath (near trim) and eircom are out of range! on an 02 dongle at the minute but they are terrible! was wondering the best solution for my problem? satellite? would love to be able to play ps3 online :/
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Shane

I dont think any option will suit you for PS3 gaming. Maybe when 4G launches later this year it might help but that will depend on signal and allowances.

Did you check wimax or the other network dongles?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Shanew14

I did check wimax unfortunatly its not! was gonna go with satellite but havent heard one good review!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

im with 3 at the mo but they are sh1t great gb allowance im getting 60 gb per month for 30.49 euro (although going up later this month by 4.50 euro) im in north tipperary and i can see their cell tower from my back door about half a km away and my speeds are so slow i think the grass is growing faster than i am downloading check out these speeds ive done
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=9fb9af31cbe0a85766d0d36ab59484ab&ria=0
    had comreg after them twice about it after i pulled out most of my hair trying to get it sorted by talking to their indian call center and being told to walk around my house to see if i can get a better signal and just cant get it through to them that i have a good signal but no speed (i think its the contention ratio is stuidly high around here) so now they have promised me that the cell will be upgraded before the end of feb if not i can leave without penalty .
    that is after they wanted a silly amount of money for me to break my contract before i got comreg involved the SECOND time
    sorry for ranting but that my thoughts

No worries! youd think this day and age youd be able to get phonline broadband everywhere! absolutely ridiculous

yea im 100 meters from eircom phone exchange and guess what ?
    it hasent been upgraded for broadband !
    rang eircom to see if it was going to be upgraded in the near future and was told that they have to have a certain % of the local population to request it
    she couldnt say what that % was though:(
    i would have a very good speed if it was connected
    so she added me on the list
    ahhh well we will just have to wait and see.
    sorry for ranting again.
    the other Shane

• Advertisement

I had some lad come out to me, connect me up only to phone me a week later and say its not available! anyway anyone know any solutions? cheers

friend of mine in Roscommon has broadband on the phone line
    three young lads all gaming on three laptops up stairs and we could be watching a film on netflix down stairs no problem
    and their in a little village in the middle of nowhere

thats it we will all move to roscommon :D
    or i might get him to e-mail me down some of their broadband

Would ur internet download it? mine wouldnt ;)

prob not , not with the speed i get

So anyone got any ideas

• Advertisement

So anyone got any ideas

sorry mate im all out :(

Cheers anyway mate! anyone else help me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cheers anyway mate! anyone else help me?
    In essenence there is none; you're not going to get 4G (as any other service it will be rolled out were there are enough people around to buy it for it to make sense, i.e. cities) any time soon and being outside everything else your only option will be to look for a local company who may offer some type of wireless internet.

Actually they could get 4G. Voidafone bought up lots of the analogue spectrum which has great distance so while they may not receive the speeds of city folk they could get decent speeds with 4G over their current 3G experiences. It still all depends on allowances though. They could be crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

The bandwidth available on those frequencies is the same whether they're carrying analogue signals or 4G data.

Unfortunately, 4G data requires more bandwidth than the analogue signals they used to carry and this means the range will be significantly impacted. 4G will be rolled out the same way 3G was/is and will most likely have a smaller range due to the higher data rates it provides (depending on number of devices in the cell, activity on those devices, etc).

Yes but the distances and penetration of 4G over the old analogue wavelengths is greater then 3G.

Cheers for the feedback! is there any fixed wireless providers do u think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/

They have a chat option on the site and you ask what pings you get and what download speed you will get. Worth a go. Or get a loan of a vodafone dongle from a shop and see what pings you get in your location as well.

has anyone had any previous experience with satellite

I have and it's not good, particularly for online gaming.

• Advertisement

could u pst a speed test mate? just google speedtest and link me cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes but the distances and penetration of 4G over the old analogue wavelengths is greater then 3G.

True, but its new technology the broadband providers will have to introduce to the market( so there is cost of putting in this new equipment) So lets not be foolish here, there going to put 4G in areas were they can make the most money from it, and provide the best coverage to their customers ( cities, small towns, and larger towns) if you live about about ten miles outside any of those you likely will get a good signal too.

Government intervention is the only way people will ever get good broadband in rural areas. Feckers got 800 million from the spectrum auction, yet no one word, about where this cash is going to end up.

Problem with mobile broadband too ( still will be there with 4G) you'll still have very high pings and high latency which is awful if you're a gamer. 4g Range from 40 to 60 ping and one can currently get lower pings than that on a DSL phone broadband. connection. City areas probably will get a better 4G ping, but that still has to be seen.

True, but its new technology the broadband providers will have to introduce to the market( so there is cost of putting in this new equipment) So lets not be foolish here, there going to put 4G in areas were they can make the most money from it, and provide the best coverage to their customers ( cities, small towns, and larger towns) if you live about about ten miles outside any of those you likely will get a good signal too.

Government intervention is the only way people will ever get good broadband in rural areas. Feckers got 800 million from the spectrum auction, yet no one word, about where this cash is going to end up.

Problem with mobile broadband too ( still will be there with 4G) you'll still have very high pings and high latency which is awful if you're a gamer. 4g Range from 40 to 60 ping and one can currently get lower pings than that on a DSL phone broadband. connection. City areas probably will get a better 4G ping, but that still has to be seen.
    True, it's all speculation at present but I do know Vodafone are testing 4G in Kilkenny. The OP could get lucky?? We'll know soon enough. I suppose all I'm saying is that before they sign up to a year long service that could be iffy at best it might be worth seeing what 4G has to offer. Dont forget the NBS will be upgraded to 4G too. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

cookie1977 wrote: »
    True, it's all speculation at present but I do know Vodafone are testing 4G in Kilkenny. The OP could get lucky?? We'll know soon enough. I suppose all I'm saying is that before they sign up to a year long service that could be iffy at best it might be worth seeing what 4G has to offer. Dont forget the NBS will be upgraded to 4G too. Time will tell.

Kilkenny is a large town and it already has UPC ( so 4G been deployed not all that surprising really) Some locations in and around Limerick city, Cork, and Dublin city still use DSL amazing really if you think about it.

Im not holding my breath! went into o2 today and bought the hot shot! very impressed with speeds: http://speedcap.net/sharing/screen.php?id=files/8e/f1/8ef170a7b78ecef72af7f6b0ecd9223d.png

But dont see the point in it when they give u 15gb download allowance!

Im not holding my breath! went into o2 today and bought the hot shot! very impressed with speeds: http://speedcap.net/sharing/screen.php?id=files/8e/f1/8ef170a7b78ecef72af7f6b0ecd9223d.png

But dont see the point in it when they give u 15gb download allowance!

Have you tried meteor?

Advertisement