Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Lid? What Price? From Where?

• 01-01-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hope someone can help, I need a lid, for no particular reason i've ended up thinking that the ARAI RX-7 GP might be a very good choice, the price seems to vary widely and I can't seem to see an Irish dealer,. The cheapest I can find it is for about €522 from ebay.

What do you reckon, is it a good choice of helmet, would another brand be just as good for a lot cheaper? AGV seems to be half the price, any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Hope someone can help, I need a lid, for no particular reason i've ended up thinking that the ARAI RX-7 GP might be a very good choice, the price seems to vary widely and I can't seem to see an Irish dealer,. The cheapest I can find it is for about €522 from ebay.

What do you reckon, is it a good choice of helmet, would another brand be just as good for a lot cheaper? AGV seems to be half the price, any thoughts welcome.

The Arai RX-7 is a fantastic helmet, and that's a pretty decent price IMHO. The Arai's tend to go for a lot more than that. Re: AGV, it depends on the model really, the Tri-Tech and GP-Tech would be top of the range.

As for any other helmets just as good - Shark are a personal favourite of mine (I have 3) and Shoei are really good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd rather spend less than 500 if I could and the other makes seem better value than aria, i've been looking around the uk site http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ for checking how good each helmet is but it doesn't seem very up to date, where would you go if your buying a helmet for choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Have you tried one on to get a size? Last few lids I got was from www.fc-moto.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Seems like some very good value on that website. I better try on a few and get the size right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Cienciano wrote: »
    Have you tried one on to get a size? Last few lids I got was from www.fc-moto.de

You could try also www.Louis.eu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'd rather spend less than 500 if I could and the other makes seem better value than aria, i've been looking around the uk site http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ for checking how good each helmet is but it doesn't seem very up to date, where would you go if your buying a helmet for choice?

2 things - firstly, I wouldn't put much into that Sharp testing. I buy lids for what they are, not for that test. BUT, it IS possibe to get a good lid for less than €500. For example, HJC are an American brand and do decent helmets for decent money. I don't know (and don't care) where they came in the SHARP test, but after an accident in September where I came down on my head and shoulder and had no damage to my head, I'll be getting another HJC for sure! Shark do good helmets for less than €500 too.

With regard to buying a helmet, pretty much anywhere except Bikeworld, they almost charge an admission fee!!!! Buying a helmet, go north. Hein Gericke in Belfast do AGV and RST among others for a fraction of what they cost down here. Crossans in Newry do Shark among others and again, cost a lot less than they do here.

If you can't (or don't want to) go north, there are a number of bike shops around Dublin (or RPM in Drogehda) where you can get good deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seems like some very good value on that website. I better try on a few and get the size right.

I've got a few off them, always seem to be the cheapest when I'm shopping around. But definitely try on first and get a size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bought myself a Nolan N43E Air from Louis before Xmas, 189 delivered.
    Broke my lifetime habit of white helmets for a Matt Black version.:D

Advertisement