Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Airports and Bags allowance..

Options
  • 01-01-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Trying to fly into the States, and fly internally in the states until I get back to Ireland..

What is the situation with Baggage allowance once I move from long haul to Internal flights in the USA ? If its on the same ticked can I expect to be allowed the long haul allowance on the internal flights ? if its all with the one carrier, and booked at the same time would that help ?

They are all big enough airports, and while aer lingus fly into all of then(with jet blue), they cant do the connecting flights internally in the states for me..

What to do ??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

If you book multitrip then your baggage from the international flights carry over to the domestic flights.

Have flown the following routes with Delta in the past 4 years with no baggage issues. Had both checked and carry on bags. I've only done it with a single carrier to save hassle with transfers etc.

Where I stopped over in Atlanta and Detroit, the bags were checked straight through.

2008: Dub - Atlanta - Washington DC - JFK - Dublin

2012: Dub - Atl - DC - Detroit - Buffalo (Niagara Falls) - Detroit - Boston - JFK - Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agree with Rael, IF it is all one trip (ie same day type thing). If you are, say, flying to NY, stay a few days, then fly on to Chicago, then internal bagage allowances will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

silja wrote: »
    Agree with Rael, IF it is all one trip (ie same day type thing). If you are, say, flying to NY, stay a few days, then fly on to Chicago, then internal bagage allowances will apply.

Ahh, I thought that if it was all on the same ticket you could have the international baggage allowance on internal flights ?

I intend staying a few days at each location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

silja wrote: »

Does not have to be same day
    sunny2004 wrote: »
    Ahh, I thought that if it was all on the same ticket you could have the international baggage allowance on internal flights ?

I intend staying a few days at each location

Like Rael I would almost always do all my US travel with Delta and as long as it's a multi-city single booking (even with week long gaps between cities) then international baggage allowances apply. Last trip was last year and (not remembering the connecting airports) we flew Dublin-Atlanta-Boston-San Juan-New York-Dublin and had our international allowance the whole way.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Does not have to be same day

Might depend on the airline/ origination then- My mother flew from Switzerland to New York this October, stayed for a long weekend and then few on (different airline, same booking) to us in Arkansas, they made her pay for her bags which were free on the international trip. On the return trip (Arkansas- New York- Switzerland, all in one day), no charges applied.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the multi airline thing? We book all our travel in the US direct with Delta rather than a third party.

That could be, I think my mum uses a travel agent to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

athtrasna wrote: »
    Like Rael I would almost always do all my US travel with Delta and as long as it's a multi-city single booking (even with week long gaps between cities) then international baggage allowances apply. Last trip was last year and (not remembering the connecting airports) we flew Dublin-Atlanta-Boston-San Juan-New York-Dublin and had our international allowance the whole way.
    Perhaps you are a Delta Medallion member? In that case domestic bag fees will never arise!

steve-o wrote: »
    Perhaps you are a Delta Medallion member? In that case domestic bag fees will never arise!

I'm a Flying Blue (Air France) member but have dropped to Elite which does not give free baggage on Delta internal flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Thank you guys, I am now a little confused lol

ANYONE got a booking number for Delta so I can talk to a human about this ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I'm sure you can get a hold of someone here to verify.

Advertisement