Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 on an SSD (how to)

Options
  • 02-01-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

How to get Bf3 (and only Bf3 onto an SSD)

1.Install windows to SSD
    2.Copy Bf3 folder from previous hard drive to C:/Games
    3.Install origin and in Application settings change Downloaded Games location to C:/Games
    4.Click play on Bf3 in Origin(just need to play it once maybe not at all not sure)
    5.Exit game and in origin point to Old game locations ie E:/Origin Games(make sure Bf3 isnt there anymore).
    6. Open Origin and all your other games should be available to play including bf3.

Some stupid guides online with registry editing but that worked for me. Origin doesnt care where your games are once they exist when 1st run/installed.

SSD allowed me to play it like this.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdjac/bf3%202013-01-01%2023-20-28-44.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Or you could just use the steam mover app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Dcully wrote: »
    Or you could just use the steam mover app.

I tried that and it didn't work.I think it was due to me not installing in the default folder or something.

Works fine for me, ive move BF3 and Planetside2 amongst others to my SSD and back to HDD without issues.

oh if there is a way to **** something up i'll find a way.

tried the steam mover and it still showed i'd have to download the full game again.

My settings may have been different again as i reinstalled windows on the SSD too while Origin was originally on the SATA.

what i did was download Origin and then copy the bf3 folder (iirc it was the data and patches folders only) to both the same folder as Origin and the Origin Game folder.

Then i tried running the game and the download was only 20 or 30 mb and everything was good!

deleted the unused bf3 folder then too

edit additional info: i think by just copying the Data and the Patches folder i was able to see what folder was used after i moved as it had all the extra folders and files downloaded so the folder with just data and patches could be deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam mover wouldnt work for me either, didnt move over the registry settings and Bf3 wouldnt launch.

• Advertisement

Oh and remember people

when moving the bf3 folder just copy it when moving. It may take a bit more time but it means that you have a perfect working copy as backup!

once you get it working then you can delete!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

also not sure if someone mentioned it but download pbsetup and add BF3 to it and run punkbuster update.
    Another good option to run is right click on the game in origin and click repair.
    Will verify all files are still there etc and fix any issues..works a treat for me everytime as not every time BF3 starts correctly after a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

A timely thread , I have a new hard drive coming in the next few days and i was wondering what was involved in moving bf3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I found the best most foolproof way was to do as follows.
    1. Backup your existing BF3 folder
    2. Install origin and click download BF3.
    3. Pause the download at 1% etc and copy across the backup folder to c:\program files\Origin games (or wherever you plan to keep it)
    4. Right Click on BF3 in Origin and select repair
    5. Download pbsetup, add BF3 to it and update. http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
    6. pbsvc.exe (punkbuster services) is another good one to download and install.http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsvcfaq.php

Step 5+ 6 I'd definitely advise running to prevent any punkbuster issues you'll encounter...tore my head out the first time trying to get BF3 working and finally got it right.
    Step 5 ensures BF3 has the latest punkbuster updates and step 6 ensures that both punkbuster services are installed and working correctly on your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

3. Pause the download at 1% etc and copy across the backup folder to

works better if you kill Origin in the task manager once download reaches 1% . and then copy across the backup folder. Pausing ,Origin can just tend to ignore the copied files.

then proceed as Blazer said.

• Advertisement

Most helpful thread EVER

I dont understand how you guys are having issues with steam mover.
    I moved my BF3 back to SSD only yesterday after moving it from SSD to HDD before xmas all done with the click of a mouse with steam mover, 3-4 minutes later the game was ready to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Does BF3 need to be installed/bought through steam for this to work ?

Actually maybe I should go read up on this myself and not be so lazy ........... but I enjoy talking through boards ( and my arse )

Dcully wrote: »
    I dont understand how you guys are having issues with steam mover.
    I moved my BF3 back to SSD only yesterday after moving it from SSD to HDD before xmas all done with the click of a mouse with steam mover, 3-4 minutes later the game was ready to play.

Did you install in the default folder originally? My one was installed on my non os partition so technically I had 2 folders one on c and one on d

danniemcq wrote: »

Did you install in the default folder originally? My one was installed on my non os partition so technically I had 2 folders one on c and one on d

Yes default originally

Advertisement