Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dogs

• 02-01-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Our neighbour has 3 small dogs, they've decided in the past couple days (through boredom they don't get walked!) to chew through the fence, (the bichon frisée is very aggressive has gone for me through the fence before) and we have a 3yr old daughter I'm afraid it'll go for her! Now they're through the fence and in our garden
    What can we do we can't afford to get the fence fixed! And they're not the type of neighbours you can talk to
    Does anyone have any advice would our fence be covered under our house insurance?
    Appreciate any help on this
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Call the dog warden.

And I would most definitely try to speak to the neighbours. There's no need to be confrontational, but pointing out the damage and the fact you can't let the child play in the garden should be done.

Check your insurance. Probably comes under buildings insurance. If it's proved the neighbour's dogs caused the damage, the insurance will probably chase them for reimbursement.

Is the fence definitely yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Is the fence definitely yours?

Thanks for replying
    Yes it's the fence between our gardens and the panel they have broken through is one we replaced before they started renting that house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If they are renting, speak to the landlord or better still write to the landlord. If you get no response from the landlord then contact the PRTB. If you are concerned for the animals then call the dog-warden / animal rescue charity

If their animals have broken through the fence from their side, it is the animal owners' / renters' / landlord's responsibility to replace / repair it with an animal-proof one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It might be the fence between the gardens, but you need to check it is indeed yours before you go to your insurance.

General rule of thumb is if you stand outside your house and look to the left of the property, the fence is yours. If it's to the right, it belongs to the neighbour.

As Mathepac says, you need to get hold of the landlord in any case. I'd call the dog warden too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It might be the fence between the gardens, but you need to check it is indeed yours before you go to your insurance.

General rule of thumb is if you stand outside your house and look to the left of the property, the fence is yours. If it's to the right, it belongs to the neighbour.

As Mathepac says, you need to get hold of the landlord in any case. I'd call the dog warden too.

Apologies; But I don't think this is correct .

Agree re landlord ; I would also be getting in touch with the dog warden ; particularly as dogs can be aggressive & territorial in " their" space & as you have a toddler in your garden . Registered post job to tenants and local gardai as well as dog warden. Nichols are small & wiry ; have you something big you can block the gap with until they resolve the issue?

You might be able to pick something up from a recycle centre for free that could do the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement