Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scratched counter top

• 02-01-2013 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Is there any advise on how to repair or lesson the damage my housemate has done to my kitchen counter top. It annoys me every time I look at it and its too obvious to ignore. I know it was an accident but any suggestions are welcome..IMG00204-20130102-0023.jpg I tried to attach a picture as am not sure what the counter is made of. Hope this works!!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There is feck all you can do.
    How about
    Some of the magic marker yokes from woodies for hiding scratches on cars might hide it, would need to be repeated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

Yeah thats what I thought....bad start to 2013, guess i'll have to live with it!!! Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

rustopher wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I thought....bad start to 2013, guess i'll have to live with it!!! Thanks for reply.

Black permanent marker. Rub it along the scratch and as soon as its done rub off the excess market with a cloth if tissue. It won't completely hide but will help

Is there any advise on how to repair or lesson the damage my housemate has done to my kitchen counter top. It annoys me every time I look at it and its too obvious to ignore. I know it was an accident but any suggestions are welcome..IMG00204-20130102-0023.jpg I tried to attach a picture as am not sure what the counter is made of. Hope this works!!
    Thanks.
    Black permanent marker. Rub it along the scratch and as soon as its done rub off the excess market with a cloth if tissue. It won't completely hide but will help

Thanks Galwaydude, there are other ideas I looked up on the net which involve baking powder and non abrasive toothpaste!! So if none of them work will go with the marker idea!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could also try a black crayon with a touch of white if needed.:D

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    You could also try a black crayon with a touch of white if needed.:D

haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Thanks Galwaydude, there are other ideas I looked up on the net which involve baking powder and non abrasive toothpaste!! So if none of them work will go with the marker idea!

Don't waste your time with baking powder and toothpaste. They won't fix a scratch in a laminate based Worktops like you have. The only thing you can do is try cover it up and lessen the visual impact with a black marker.

I'd reckon wax from a crayon will only come off with cleaning sprays used for cleaning Worktops. Also wax would need a fairly deep scratch to work at all as you only have a surface scratch wax won't stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Depending on where it is you could just put one of those glass 'Scratch Protectors' over it, at least you wont be able to see the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I damaged a laminate counter in my own house years ago and made a reasonable repair by brushing a bit of the wife's clear nail polish into the scratch. Unlike magic maker, wax etc it's a lot more durable. It can be a bit hit and miss but if you're anyway handy and have an eye it can work out ok, worth a shot anyway.

Advertisement