Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling Questions

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm travelling to Mauritius soon and just wondered what it would cost to use my Visa Debit and BoI MasterCard there?

Would I need to inform the bank that I'm travelling there so that my card isn't blocked for suspicious activity?

Should I get traveller's cheques? Honestly, I have no idea how they work.

- P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi PeteK*

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you use your Visa Debit card to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43. If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is contactless or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is also €11.43.

If you use your Mastercard to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 1.75% of the amount you withdraw. If your credit card is not in credit, a 1.5% cash advance fee is also applied. The minimum cash advance fee is €2.54. If you use the card at a point of sale, the 1.75% charge applies.

You can find information on Visa Debit card fees here and on credit card fees here.

We always recommend you notify us before leaving the country so we can note the account for you. This helps to prevent any issues arising with your card if any unusual transactions are made abroad. Please contact your account holding branch or call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to arrange this for you.

Unfortunately we no longer sell travellers cheques.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Hi PeteK*

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you use your Visa Debit card to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43. If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is contactless or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is also €11.43.

If you use your Mastercard to withdraw cash, there is a cross border handling fee of 1.75% of the amount you withdraw. If your credit card is not in credit, a 1.5% cash advance fee is also applied. The minimum cash advance fee is €2.54. If you use the card at a point of sale, the 1.75% charge applies.

You can find information on Visa Debit card fees here and on credit card fees here.

We always recommend you notify us before leaving the country so we can note the account for you. This helps to prevent any issues arising with your card if any unusual transactions are made abroad. Please contact your account holding branch or call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to arrange this for you.

Unfortunately we no longer sell travellers cheques.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.
    Laura
    Hi Laura,

Thanks for all the detailed information.
    I'll give 365 a call now.

If my credit card is in credit, does it mean there are no charges?

Thanks again in advance.

- P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi PeteK*

You're most welcome.

If your credit card account is in credit, the only fee you will be charged while in Mauritius is the cross border handling fee of 1.75%. This will apply to both ATM withdrawals and point of sale transactions.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday.
    Laura

Advertisement