Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for an MCD job on all Irish newspapers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I don't understand why people get so emotive about something like this. If you don't want to avail of the service, then don't. Simples.

Some people seem to think that the internet is a free for all and you can upload / download any content without any repercussions.

Surely there could be a happy medium here?

Off the top of my head-
    Newspapers are given the opportunity to have official representatives on here. If there is a news story that breaks here, they must ask the permission of the OP to print it. If they don't and it's proven that the story originated on here, the journalist/newspaper has to pay a minimum fee of €300 to the site.

Why pay the site if the OP is the one who can give permission?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think anyone has been particularly emotive about it.

It is an important issue though as I have seen literally hundreds of posts on boards linking to an article in a newspaper which generate lots of discussion. The publications own comment section don't tend to be able to deal effectively with large numbers of posts and discussion. It seems a bit silly that rather than link to the article here we would write - 'see indo site and search for x'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres very simply ways around it though, for instance using tinyurl or other similar services when posting on a irish site, or simply link it on reddit and link the reddit post on boards thus getting around the issue of the link being a copyright property as they have no way to go after reddit or other foreign sites.
    This whole things shows a complete lack of understanding of how the internet works

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has been particularly emotive about it.

That's a fair point, my comment wasn't aimed specifically at this thread, althought the OP does mention an embargo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

But won't it sort of kill of threads here as people can't link back?

"So what about that fat kid who is 22 stone? Via the Daily mail"
    Eh?

Don't both media feed off each other?

I think it may actually hurt a lot of "new" media. There are some sites that just make money off aggregating media and news from sites. The Journal for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get so emotive about something like this. If you don't want to avail of the service, then don't. Simples.

What "service" should we not avail of? They're OK with us reading the content, but not using a technology that they should have no say over to reference it?
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Some people seem to think that the internet is a free for all and you can upload / download any content without any repercussions.

This is about linking to a site, not reproducing their work though. It's like the newspaper saying that someone doesn't have the right to give GPS coordinates or directions to find their physical location. It's nonsensical.

NLI have issued a clarification - which hopefully means I'm OK to post this link!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0107/breaking37.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eoin wrote: »
    NLI have issued a clarification - which hopefully means I'm OK to post this link!

So basically, Boards cannot post up contents of newspapers - the half baked ban that's in place at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Eoin wrote: »
    Not really a clarification, it's more a case now that they have two contradictory statements. They haven't said their previous declaration was an error, or that they've changed their stance

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Not really a clarification, it's more a case now that they have two contradictory statements. They haven't said their previous declaration was an error, or that they've changed their stance

That's a better way of putting it!

The comments say that the IT are going to change their copyright notice to say that there is no issue with linking, yet another comment (possibly deleted now) stated that someone else a poster has spoken to in the IT had said that links were not allowed.

Hopefully a joint statement will be made from all the relevant parties clearing the whole mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

With the amount of question marks in that article, it seems like even they don't know what they're talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

This has implications for businesses other than discussion forum places like boards.ie. I think it's the whole commercial aspect that's at the crux of the matter. While there was an article in the Irish Times last Saturday distinguishing between links and copyright, and extolling the virtues of links being the life blood of the online community, I reckon it still makes web owners uneasy.

Advertisement