Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixing ceiling plaster skimming

• 02-01-2013 3:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

Had a leak in bathroom over a fairly longtime. Result being ceiling below bathroom has cracked and come away. The bathroom retiled and leak gone now. Ceiling annoying me.

Is this a diy job and if so what tools materials do i need. Else what would be a rough cost to fix?

Cheers
    X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Doesn't look to bad from the photo, a bag of skim, bucket and trowel would do it, unless the plasterboard has to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cut away the loose stuff first.
    also, looks like its on a joint (usual enough for a leak) you might need to retape it if the tape is coming away.

Less is more, you dont want to be sanding for hours afterwards.
    Make sure you use finishing plaster (skimcoat, etc) and not bonding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

thanks for replies.

The actual plasterboard beneath seems sound its just the skimming that has cracked and come away.

I'll pop into ganleys and ask for what I need. Hopefully get some brownie points with the missus if I get this fixed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

For spot repairs I prefer joint filler over finishing plaster. It can be built up in layers if needed (handy for the novice to DIY plastering) and once dry it can be sanded back very easily with a fine sanding sponge to give a seamless finish.

Advertisement