Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to cycle from Phibsboro to Clonsilla along the royal canal?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

monument wrote: »
    Work has been carried out between Ashtown and Catleknock to make a half mud / dirth track into a far more passable gravel path.

Work had also been carrier out on I think two other sections west of this -- including flat-top surfacing around Clonsilla.

But last time was of the out there some of the worst sections between Castleknock and Clonsilla had yet to be tackled.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm planning on cycling from phibsborough to castleknock by the royal canal. Do you think the surface is good enough for a daily commute? I'm fairly new to cycling and want to avoid busy roads as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm planning on cycling from phibsborough to castleknock by the royal canal. Do you think the surface is good enough for a daily commute? I'm fairly new to cycling and want to avoid busy roads as much as possible.

I've been doing this exact cycle (and then continuing on through tolka valley park) every day since The start of the year... I love it! Its actually pleasant to cycle to work for once.. I've been doing it on a road bike and its fine..
    Things to watch out for...
    1.Random gate/turnstile things in your way (If your doing this the 1st few times in the morning when its dark, use a good light, or take it easy till you learn where they are)
    2. Its quite muddy at places!! prepare to get covered in mud (or get mudguards)
    3. Quite a few pedestrians/with prams/ dogs (loads of damn unpredictable dogs!) so you'll still need to be vigilant for them
    4. A few of the paved bits have absolutely atrocious surfaces + are extremely hard/old concrete, I stand up for those bits

Also UPDATE! The fallen tree has been removed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Is there still a very dangerous section around Castleknock Clonsilla where the track is high over the canal or has this been improved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is there still a very dangerous section around Castleknock Clonsilla where the track is high over the canal or has this been improved?

Was still there last time I ran through it. Only dangerous for cycling though, although I have seen some MTB'ers shoot through it having some fun. It's probably the most interesting section though for running or walking.

edit; I just saw a post in the D15 forum linking to the proposed Royal Canal Greenway from Ashtown to Castleknock, they'll be upgrading it so that it's similar to say how the newly updated sections are on the Grand Canal.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/RoyalCanalGreenway-display17012013-14032/

I've been doing this exact cycle (and then continuing on through tolka valley park) every day since The start of the year... I love it! Its actually pleasant to cycle to work for once.. I've been doing it on a road bike and its fine..
    Things to watch out for...
    1.Random gate/turnstile things in your way (If your doing this the 1st few times in the morning when its dark, use a good light, or take it easy till you learn where they are)
    2. Its quite muddy at places!! prepare to get covered in mud (or get mudguards)
    3. Quite a few pedestrians/with prams/ dogs (loads of damn unpredictable dogs!) so you'll still need to be vigilant for them
    4. A few of the paved bits have absolutely atrocious surfaces + are extremely hard/old concrete, I stand up for those bits

Also UPDATE! The fallen tree has been removed :)

Thanks grizzly_bear! :)
    Sounds really good, Is it a gravel path all through the route or is there bumpy grass stretches as well? The reason I ask is because I don't have a mountain bike.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks grizzly_bear! :)
    Sounds really good, Is it a gravel path all through the route or is there bumpy grass stretches as well? The reason I ask is because I don't have a mountain bike.

Thanks

Yeah, its all either fine gravel or tarmac or concrete.
    A few sections are actually lovely, The very start from Phibsborough until you get to the Dart overpass is fantastic new smooth tarmac (Though there are 2 really nasty little speedbumps in the middle) Once you go under the Dart is defintely the worst part, old concrete with mad pothole. Then the whole section around ashtown is great and then theres the gravel section until Castleknock.. This is grand to cycle on but there can be a lot of big muddy puddles + the softer surface will slow you down a bit.
    I'm assuming you have a hybrid or "city" bike, should be fine as my finicky road bike has lasted np.
    I would advise on getting kevlar tires as the gravel + broken glass might shred normal ones.. I have a pair of armadillos and I keep them pumped up rock hard 110 psi and Ive only gotten one puncture which I think was fluke (tiny shard of ceramic had gone straight into a groove in the tire)

Yeah, its all either fine gravel or tarmac or concrete.
    A few sections are actually lovely, The very start from Phibsborough until you get to the Dart overpass is fantastic new smooth tarmac (Though there are 2 really nasty little speedbumps in the middle) Once you go under the Dart is defintely the worst part, old concrete with mad pothole. Then the whole section around ashtown is great and then theres the gravel section until Castleknock.. This is grand to cycle on but there can be a lot of big muddy puddles + the softer surface will slow you down a bit.
    I'm assuming you have a hybrid or "city" bike, should be fine as my finicky road bike has lasted np.
    I would advise on getting kevlar tires as the gravel + broken glass might shred normal ones.. I have a pair of armadillos and I keep them pumped up rock hard 110 psi and Ive only gotten one puncture which I think was fluke (tiny shard of ceramic had gone straight into a groove in the tire)

Yep, I'm waiting for delivery of a hybrid bike. Definitely getting armadillos - not enjoying the thoughts of replacing a tube in the dark beside the canal. How long is the journey taking you, any antisocial problems from kids, drunks?
    Hopefully I can save on bus fares:cool:

My journey from home to IBM is about 40 mins.. So maybe to Castleknock is about 20 mins?
    Havent seen anything antisocial. Just people walking to work/walking dogs cycling etc.

Also btw definitely use lights! Theres no lighting and at 7 in the morning its quite dark. I've enocounterd one or two cylists and walkers without lights and I could have hit him if I'd been unluckier

Yep, I'm waiting for delivery of a hybrid bike. Definitely getting armadillos - not enjoying the thoughts of replacing a tube in the dark beside the canal. How long is the journey taking you, any antisocial problems from kids, drunks?
    Hopefully I can save on bus fares:cool:

My journey from home to IBM is about 40 mins.. So maybe to Castleknock is about 20 mins?
    Havent seen anything antisocial. Just people walking to work/walking dogs cycling etc.

Also btw definitely use lights! Theres no lighting and at 7 in the morning its quite dark. I've enocounterd one or two cylists and walkers without lights and I could have hit him if I'd been unluckier

Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers

Just a quick update on this. I've cycled this route quite a few times now and it's lovely! Some of the surface is fairly bad but I believe Fingal council are going to invest substantially in this cycle path.

I would recommend it, no traffic to negotiate and nice scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

I´ll believe it when I see it. Ok they might do piecemeal stuff beside railway stations and in city areas but noting compared to the work that CE scheme, did years ago in Clonsilla-Porterstown or Pikes Bridge to Maymooth. Anyhow If and its a hugh if, they did I bet Cycling will be banned!!!. Cycling facilities has to be the lowest priority at the moment with all C.C.in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

Sean02 wrote: »
    I´ll believe it when I see it. Ok they might do piecemeal stuff beside railway stations and in city areas but noting compared to the work that CE scheme, did years ago in Clonsilla-Porterstown or Pikes Bridge to Maymooth. Anyhow If and its a hugh if, they did I bet Cycling will be banned!!!. Cycling facilities has to be the lowest priority at the moment with all C.C.in my opinion.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/RoyalCanalGreenway-display17012013-14032013/

To be constructed later this year.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Thats great! Even noticed "cycle friendly gates" to be installed :)
    Its a pity it only goes from Ashtown to Castleknock. The bit being proposed to be imporved here is actually ok at the moment. Probably the worst bit between Phibsborough to Castleknock is around Broombridge. Surface is very hard old concrete with massive chunks gone everywhere, its very hard on my bike.
    Though maybe another CC is responsible for that section..
    Also Ive never gone any further than Castleknock but from all indications here the surface between Castleknock and Clonsilla is just mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

As you say, the bit from Ashtown into the city centre is in Dublin City Council's area - they are proposing an extension of their 'Premium Cycle Route' out to Ashtown, it currently goes along the Grand Canal from Portobello as far as Grand Canal Dock and sort of crosses the Liffey to Spencer Dock but it is to be extended out to Ashtown, it's not at the planning permission stage yet but should come out later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Its a wonderful plan and I hope it goes ahead. However with the country in a state of chassis for the next years...we will see. Correct me if I'm wrong Tails where was the completion date mentioned. Is this yet to go to design stage and then planning ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi lads, just looking for an update for anyone who uses this route on a regular basis or recently. I am looking to make the cycle from the whitworth road (Drumcondra) to Blanch shopping centre. Is the track / cycle way passable and is it OK to cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

BKWDR wrote: »
    Hi lads, just looking for an update for anyone who uses this route on a regular basis or recently. I am looking to make the cycle from the whitworth road (Drumcondra) to Blanch shopping centre. Is the track / cycle way passable and is it OK to cycle?
    Yes it's absolutely fine...a bit annoying as you will have to dismount a good few times but the surface is good. I cycled it recently without any issue. I would move on to the roads from the Twelfth Lock to the Blanchardstown Centre as the surface of the canal path deteriorates from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

fletch wrote: »
    Yes it's absolutely fine...a bit annoying as you will have to dismount a good few times but the surface is good. I cycled it recently without any issue. I would move on to the roads from the Twelfth Lock to the Blanchardstown Centre as the surface of the canal path deteriorates from there.
    Ah that's great info thanks....

Might wait till the spring to avoid the cycle in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clueless999

Following on comments 4 years ago here - would like to ask about the condition of cycling track between Castleknock (the 12th lock) to Coolmine, along the canal. All indications were that it was muddy and not ideal for cycling. Anyone tried that route recently and whether it has been improved for cycling?
    Currently I would turn out from the 12th lock and go towards Tolka Valley down the Ongar road. Would be nice to cycle all the way from city center out to Clonsilla along the canal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Deep Sinking is still very much a jungle alas. Fun to try tackle on an MTB or a Fatbike but not really one to be including on your commute.

I believe there are plans somewhere to put in a cycle track there but it will be some feat of engineering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement