Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not connecting to Linksys E 1000 V2

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

In my house share we have just installed a linksys E 1000 router.

It have had no part in setting it up as someone else bought and installed it over Xmas.

My computer and phones will not connect to it anymore. They just sit there and refuse to connect.

There is however, a guest connection to which I can connect but he is unable to get me the correct password.

I assume that the main connection is WPA2 - which my wireless-G card cannot pick up is the problem for the main card. For the guest account it would seem that it is set up correctly for G but he has given me an incorrect password.

He told me that WPA2 is almost 3 times quicker than WPA, is this correct - does the main connection need to be WPA?

My card is quite old and the phones are between 2 - 4 years old. I assume that is why WPA2 does not work - although WPA2 came into existance in 2004, therefore I would have expected compliance with it.

Is the issue just that he has given me an incorrect guest password for the connection, or is there something more sinister going on?

Is WPA2 quicker than WPA - I though it was just securityrelated rather than effecting transmission speeds.

If my phones are at most 5 - 6 years old should they not be able to handle WPA2 as according to Wiki "WPA2 became available in 2004 and is a common shorthand for the full IEEE 802.11i (or IEEE 802.11i-2004) standard."

Thanks.

Advertisement