Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Credit Card Debt, Living In Ireland

Options
  • 02-01-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, sorry if this is too long but i have to explain first, i've been living in Ireland for the past 10 years and have had a UK credit card for longer, one that up to 2 years ago i was paying off as well as i could manage. I ran into financial difficulties and contacted the CC company to ask for help, which was sent by way of a Financial outgoings etc package, which i duly sent back. In the meantime i continued to receive phone calls on a daily, up to 4 or 5 a day sometimes, asking for payment and that they could do nothing till the help package had been received, which didn't happen, even though one agent told me it had been and would be reviewed. Eventually, after many calls made to get help i received a letter from a debt management agency, telling me they were taking over the debt.

I rang my CC company and was abruptly told they were not dealing with this account anymore. I contacted the management company and was politely advised of my situation, which i then took time to consider. Approximately a week later i received a similar letter from a different company telling me they were now looking after my account, a company who i researched on the internet and found some very bad stories of. I rang them and they advised me of the change in debt ownership. I told them i stringently wanted to pay the debt but the payment options were not available to me, i did not have a cheque book, Laser cards and direct debits do not work between the UK and Ireland, and the only manner of which i could pay would be the same as i did originally, by online banking, this was before my original cc company took it on themselves to cancel any responsibilty to me as a customer.

This went on several times, even once with the debt agency writing to tell me to contact my CC company immediately, and upon doing this being told they didn't have a clue what i was talking about as the account is no longer theirs. Finally i received a letter from the debt agency telling me that the case was being sent back to the bank and there was no further point contacting the agency as any response would not be read. This was over a year ago and i have not heard one word since, nothing, not even a recognition of the account going back to the bank, nothing. Any advice on my next step or do i just wait and see? Thanks for any help, once again, sorry for the long winded approach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Never assume things.

However, this is a UK based issue and you would probably be better off asking on a UK based board, where the members would be more familiar with the ins-and-outs of how it works in the UK. You might want to try http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241 for example. As such, I'll close this off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement