Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smith wesson modle 41 .22 pistol

• 02-01-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8

Hi any body out there with a smith wesson 41 . 22 target pistol, I have heard that they are very picky about ammo and will only fire cci standard, any other type of ammo and they will jam on a regular basis is this true ? Do they have any major faults / problems, and how dose the ruger mk3 compare to the sw 41, your advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

I have a model 41 and ive never had any issues with ammo. what im using in mine is the tins of sk and their fine. I cant rem what types of ammo I put thru mine but when I got the firearm first I did try 6-7 different brands of ammo and from what I can rem they all worked fine. their a hard enuf to get as they only make so many per year and only so many are set aside for export. but the dealer I got mine from has a few in Germany that are his and paid for. it was €1400 cash and I was waiting about a month for it to come into the country.

41617-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ross1971 wrote: »
    Hi any body out there with a smith wesson 41 . 22 target pistol, I have heard that they are very picky about ammo and will only fire cci standard, any other type of ammo and they will jam on a regular basis is this true ? Do they have any major faults / problems, and how dose the ruger mk3 compare to the sw 41, your advice would be much appreciated.

The S&W Model 41, based on the original Walther PP design from the late 1920's, is one of the most under-rated target handuns on earth. It is beautifully made in the style of Haemmerli of Lenzburg, and usually shows no bother in digesting anything, apart from low-velocity stuff that is. It IS after all, a semi-auto, and relies on a good load to make it function reliably. Mine mine shot most everything I put through it, over a period of almost thirty years. However, mine liked RWS Pistol Match in the rapid fire comps, as my more than 150 medals would tell you.

I recommend it to you - get one of the older ones, if you can, say anything made between 1970 and 1985, and you'll be laffing for years.

As for how it is made, IMO it is the equal of the Haemmerli 208 in fit and finish, and has had over fifty years to iron out the problems. Oh yes, I forgot to mention. There aren't any problems - the gun design is unchanged since it was perfected after TEN years of trialling -

Wiki - In July 1947 two prototypes, numbered X-41 and X-42 were produced, tested, and improved for the next 10 years. In 1957 the Model 41 was made available to the public for sale when S&W produced 679 units. At the end of 1958, they had built 9,875 Model 41 pistols.

S&W ceased production in 1992, but resumed in 1993 with the Model 41 [New].

What happened to all my medals and trophies?

When I had to hand in the 90% of my handguns guns that had not escaped to the USA, I also dumped three bucket-loads of medals and trophies on the desk of the gobsh*te taking my guns in. I didn't feel any better for doing it, but it took the smile off his face for a minute, and that's what mattered a lot to me.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 Ross1971

Thanks very much for the reply and advice dax121 and tac foley, I have a sw 617 great revolver eats any type of .22 ammo and its very accurate and 100 percent relaible, I want to get a sw 41 but I heard some negative things about them being very picky about what ammo that they will eat, Thanks again for the advice yours in sport Ross 1971.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They reckon you should keep away from high velocity ammo to reduce wear, mine has reliably fired everything I've put in it so far, including Lapua subsonic HP stuff I had on hand the day it arrived.

They can be picked up secondhand in Germany for €300-€500 no bother.

Thank you for the reply civdef I think trying to find a dealer to bring in a second hand 41 could difficult they all want to sell new , I have got several different prices for a new 41 from the crazy 1900 euro down to 1400 and plenty different prices in between. What is your opinion the ruger mk3 I know I heard it is a good reliable and accurate pistol but a real pain in the A.. To take down and resemble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Bring it in yourself, no real hassle involved.

Nothing to contribute really on the Ruger, never fired one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

civdef wrote: »
    Bring it in yourself, no real hassle involved.

Nothing to contribute really on the Ruger, never fired one.

I've a ruger MKIII 22/45 LITE. It's a great pistol to fire and there is plenty you can do to fix it up as you see fit, just like the 10/22 rifle.

If I was to buy again I would get either a 22/45 TARGET 5.5 inch barrel
    Or one of the HUNTERs MKIII 6.9 inch barrel.
    Both of these will give tighter groups at 25.

Ruger have just released a few new models in there .22 pistol line worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I had the Ruger 22/45 Mk II. Like you say, it was a fantastic gun (kinda sorry I got rid), and accuracy was fantastic. The person behind the trigger needed some work tho. HOWEVER..... cleaning - sweet mother of god, you'd want to be a contortionist to take it apart and reassemble it.... and a large clear work surface for all the bits that have a knack of flying out of it once you manage to open it up.

But for all that, it's a crackin' piece of machinery.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Go to Rimfirecentral.com

There you will find al the answers you need

Thanks for the help and info lads it is Mutch appreciated, I have heard plenty of positive things about the ruger mk3 the downside it is a mother to disamble and resemble, if finances permit I will purchase a SW 41 it is very easy to take apart and reassemble, relaible and accurate, .

• Advertisement
Advertisement