Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a trigger mechanism from USA

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I bought a Beretta Xtrema 2 recently to replace a Teknys that was stolen last year. I shoot left-handed and the safety on the Teknys was reversible but when I brought home the Xtrema I discovered the safety couldnt be reversed and I need to buy a new trigger mechanism.
    I have found two american websites that will export but will I get it through Customs without any hassle, extortionate duty charges etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

I bought a Beretta Xtrema 2 recently to replace a Teknys that was stolen last year. I shoot left-handed and the safety on the Teknys was reversible but when I brought home the Xtrema I discovered the safety couldnt be reversed and I need to buy a new trigger mechanism.
    I have found two american websites that will export but will I get it through Customs without any hassle, extortionate duty charges etc?

Thats a chance you would have to take however:

It is illegal for a site in the USA yo export any part of a firing mechanism out side the U S.

It is also illegal to import to a private individual any component of a firing mechaniam to the ROI, it needs to be sent yo a RFD.

So it is highly likley it will b ceased by customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You'll also get walloped for tax if the item and carriage costs over €100, its 33% rate as far as i know. Is there not a european supplier you can get it from ? Frankonia ? Triebel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It is illegal for a site in the USA yo export any part of a firing mechanism out side the U S.

NO IT IS NOT!!!It is quite possible for a US site to export component parts under ITAR rules ..IF the order is under 100 USD [inc shipping] in value.OR the site is a Federal Firearms liscense holder cleared by the US state dept to conduct busisness outside the CONUS with firearms.
    It is also illegal to import to a private individual any component of a firing mechaniam to the ROI, it needs to be sent yo a RFD.

NO IT IS NOT!!!!You as the certificate holder are entitled to import any part ,component or accessory to a legally held firearm in the ROI in your name!! From either the EU or the USA.. Your cert is the import liscense,and authorisation to possed the gun and all its "extra bits"..
    That varies with the EU,as they will proably want to see documentation of proof of possesion for "pressure bearing parts".IE barrells,bolt components ,etc. Whereas the US considers the reciver the firearm and everything else the ancillary bits that can be bought freely.

This BS about needing to import via a dealer is just a racket and a scam to erke more money out of you.
    Even if it was a complete gun if you have the Irish liscense and the finance to do it you can import direct from the US as an individual.
    Only reason you would use a dealer is simply to make the procedure easier as they put in an order,and proably have the dealership for a particular type or brand..
    So it is highly likley it will be ceased by customs.
    More like for import duty and VAT,rather than any illegality of the part.
    If they gave you any greif on that point guide them to the DOJ website.The whole procedure for importing from the US is there and from the EU as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    This BS about needing to import via a dealer is just a racket and a scam to erke more money out of you.
    Even if it was a complete gun if you have the Irish liscense and the finance to do it you can import direct from the US as an individual.

Does this mean that sending a couple of (stock) Ruger 10/22 magazines to my nephew (licence holder) in Ireland would be okay? (I believe they're around $25 each.)

Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Timney Triggers US wont export
    Midway Us wont export
    Kidd US wont export
    Rimfire Magic Uk wont export
    Rimfire Central US wont export
    Rude Fat Dog wont export

Good luck trying, It would be great if someone could put a list of exporters that will ship up please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Try Brownells.

Brownells will 80/90% of the time.It seems to be depending on the weather or somthing...:P.I have orderd parts for my AR inc a mag,and recived them no problem,a week later the exact same mag is then a non shippable item outside CONUS.:confused: Same with chemicals,one week its no way the next it is fine.

Cabelas will ship certain bits, Gander mountain likewise.
    Gunbroker and Guns America,depends on the sellor,some who are more clued in with what is going one with the ITAR regulations will ship. 50/50
    Midway US wont export
    As it is a franchise,and we have one here in Ireland.Which seems plauged never to get going.:(
    Timney Triggers US wont export
    US DOD contractors I belive precludes outside CONUS sales.
    Or just not worth the paperwork and cost to you and them for a SD liscense for individual sales,or their legal depts arent clued up on the two volumes of ITAR regulations and dont want to risk a sale for over zealous BATF or SD goons to close them down.:mad:
    Kidd US wont export
    Rimfire Magic Uk wont export
    Rimfire Central US wont export
    Rude Fat Dog wont export

No idea why.Possibly the above export liscense reasons...
    Which BTW folks will get WORSE possibly this year as the UN is pushing AGAIN to limit more arms being moved around the World,and as usual we the law abiding will get it in the neck,not the gun runners!!:mad::mad:

Keep that in mind next time you want to order some bits from the US,that two "great" honoary Irishmen, Barrack Obama,and Billary Clinton supported these proposals to make your hobby more difficult.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Does this mean that sending a couple of (stock) Ruger 10/22 magazines to my nephew (licence holder) in Ireland would be okay? (I believe they're around $25 each.)

Thx!
    Wouldnt and Couldnt give you a definitive answer wether Yes or No on that.I'd ASSUME,if they were non hi capacity standard 10 shot mags they should be OK.Provided you arent sending him 20 of them in one go!!!
    From my personal experiance, I have had no trouble with getting a non restricted mag shipped from the US.
    So its up to your own good judgement and prudence.:cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

It looks like its going to be difficult to import. Customs want their cut of course and it seems that the DOJ want to be involved also. Once your order is over $100 an export licence is required. I dont know whether it will be worth it. Might just put it up for sale or try and swap for a synthetic Urika or Teknys. Pity really as the Xtrema is a savage shotgun but I dont think I could get used to the safety being on the wrong side after shooting with a Teknys set for a left-hander for the past few years

TBF to the DOJ they are pretty obliging,as this is really more a US burrocary problem than anything to do with us on this side.The US wants paperwork so we have to give them somthing from our side,abit more officious looking than a three liner email explaining the situation to the 'Bots and Drones in the State Dept..:rolleyes:

Is this a custom feature or option on the Extrema only available to the US market or model,or is this available in Europe as well??TBH if it isnt custom work,I'd give Breatta Italy a call /email and find out if they can supply a trigger??
    If it is custom work,I reckon any competant German gunsmith could re do the safty direction..In theory it isnt difficult,just messy in practise,but thats custom work.:pac:

BTW as a fellow Leftie ,I know what you are on about with the safty,but its just a question of getting used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

yeah maybe so. It may not be worth the hassle thats all. It took me 9 months to get going again after being robbed and it pissed me off to find this out after I took it home. I thought it was the same as the Teknys safety until I sat down to change it around. I found a trigger kit in the UK but at nearly twice the price of the US. Maybe I will get used to it, maybe not. Ill try Beretta Italy in the morning, thanks all for replying.

It looks like its going to be difficult to import. Customs want their cut of course and it seems that the DOJ want to be involved also.

This is an added issue that I hadnt anticipated.

And it would explain the 200% price differential.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

InTheTrees wrote: »
    This is an added issue that I hadnt anticipated.

And it would explain the 200% price differential.

Not just the above,the crap you have to go through to buy anything online from States is truly astounding,recently bought a Swarovski Z6i from Euro Optics,shipped 26th Dec 2012 ,arrived in Portlaoise Customs 31st Dec 2012,as I write this it still has not got to my door hopefully in morning as all is cleared now this side.
    1.Apparently Customs Ire are now experts in scope design because they tried to convince me & themselves this was a NVE Military Scope.
    2.DOJ had to be contacted to'Clear' mentioned optic.
    3.Because of the inherent danger this item posed ? I had to hire a logs Coy to handle the shipment.(after I HAD TO post up my rifle licence in original form to customs).After the DOJ cleared the ******g thing
    Few words to describe this sad episode FUBAR
    Funny thing is the transaction was seamless Stateside as all custom & excise declarations were upfront & truthful.Mind boggling Bull**** .open economy my ar**.
    Be careful ladies & gents red tape dispensers are alive & well in this marvelous country of ours.
    Rant over.

Constab2 wrote: »
    Not just the above,the crap you have to go through to buy anything online from States is truly astounding,recently bought a Swarovski Z6i from Euro Optics,shipped 26th Dec 2012 ,arrived in Portlaoise Customs 31st Dec 2012,as I write this it still has not got to my door hopefully in morning as all is cleared now this side.
    1.Apparently Customs Ire are now experts in scope design because they tried to convince me & themselves this was a NVE Military Scope.
    2.DOJ had to be contacted to'Clear' mentioned optic.
    3.Because of the inherent danger this item posed ? I had to hire a logs Coy to handle the shipment.(after I HAD TO post up my rifle licence in original form to customs).After the DOJ cleared the ******g thing
    Few words to describe this sad episode FUBAR
    Funny thing is the transaction was seamless Stateside as all custom & excise declarations were upfront & truthful.Mind boggling Bull**** .open economy my ar**.
    Be careful ladies & gents red tape dispensers are alive & well in this marvelous country of ours.
    Rant over.

Yup.

Doesnt it seem like the wording of regulations and laws is kept intentionally vague so as to perpetuate confusion and leave the interpretation in the hands of some low wage bureaucrat?

It encourages corruption doesnt it?

Advertisement