Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java EE web application - what system to use for the presentation layer?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm looking for information on the options for dealing with the presentation layer in a Java EE web app in 2013. I was planning to use JSF and Facelets as it's the standard for JEE web apps and I figured I might as well stick with the standard when writing my first proper JEE application, but after reading what Tim had to say here I am rethinking that option - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82444964&postcount=22

It seems there are lots of component libraries for JSF such as PrimeFaces and RichFaces, etc...are these worth looking into, do they bring much to the table?

I had ruled out JSP as it is supposed to be decprecated in favour of Facelets in JEE 6 apps. But maybe JSP is the way to go as I presume that is what you would use if you were building a fat client app? Is that correct?

Any opinions on the best way to handle the presentation layer for JEE 6 in the current environment are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

httpete wrote: »
    I'm looking for information on the options for dealing with the presentation layer in a Java EE web app in 2013. I was planning to use JSF and Facelets as it's the standard for JEE web apps and I figured I might as well stick with the standard when writing my first proper JEE application, but after reading what Tim had to say here I am rethinking that option - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82444964&postcount=22

It seems there are lots of component libraries for JSF such as PrimeFaces and RichFaces, etc...are these worth looking into, do they bring much to the table?

I had ruled out JSP as it is supposed to be decprecated in favour of Facelets in JEE 6 apps. But maybe JSP is the way to go as I presume that is what you would use if you were building a fat client app? Is that correct?

Any opinions on the best way to handle the presentation layer for JEE 6 in the current environment are appreciated.

Use JavaScript/JQuery and fire REST requests to your server.
    This approach is the best, but requires a lot of skill in JavaScript to do correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I like the template engine Apache Velocity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The FreeMarker project is also a very popular Templating framework. I know the Apache OfBiz project used it instead of JSP as it produced pages so much faster but an additional advantages it it can create files other than html. I've seen a lot of blogs about integrating it with Spring MVC of late too. Using a templating engine does not negate anything Tim says re JS & jQuery - the templating can be complementary

Advertisement