Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

175 New Jobs in Abbotts

Options
  • 02-01-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0102/abbott-abbvie.html

One of Ireland's largest multinational employers, Abbott, has separated into two independent companies, Abbott and Abbvie.

The move will lead to the creation of 175 jobs over the next two years in Sligo, as that plant transfers to the control of Abbvie in an €75m investment programme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

http://oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager...es_seperation_

Abbott has announced it has completed the separation of its research-based pharmaceuticals business, which has become AbbVie.

The pharmaceutical operations on the Manorhamilton Road in Sligo will become part of the new company.

Abbott will also continue to operate its three facilities at Finisklin, Fortgarry and Ballytivnan in Sligo.

Its Donegal Town plant will also remain as part of the Abbott operation.

This follows the announcement of 175 jobs for the pharmaceutical site in February 2012.

Looks like the 175 jobs were announced a year ago.
    180 jobs gone since.

Abbvie began trading on the New York Stock Exchange at 1pm today Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Worked in Abbott for a Year in a good position recently. Despite everyone being friendly, good pay, benefits etc i felt like a lab rat. Start work at 8.30am and finish at 5pm. Such a long long day to be stuck in the building the whole day. Everything is white with florescent lights and no windows. Its so routine. work all day with the same people, go for breakfast with them and then go for lunch with them. You wouldn't be allowed pop to the shop for lunch or anything like that. And you nearly have to sign a form and get it stamped by your manager to go to the toilet. You'd never let yourself be seen on your fone or answering calls or checking your personal emails. None of that allowed.(and i dont mean thats what i wanted to do) Anyone with a more prominent role look down on you.! I felt most people who work there are only there for the good wages and dont like going into work. It was a case of get in and get out and get home vibe.

I was glad i found an unlocked back gate one day and escaped. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think most ppl dont like their jobs:) And being "stuck" in one place is common as well(you are not allowed to left your workplace at lunch time). And it is 8,5h daily minus breakfast and lunch so nothing really strange - i dont know would it be better to start at 7 and finish at half 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Carson10 wrote: »
    Worked in Abbott for a Year in a good position recently. Despite everyone being friendly, good pay, benefits etc i felt like a lab rat. Start work at 8.30am and finish at 5pm. Such a long long day to be stuck in the building the whole day. Everything is white with florescent lights and no windows. Its so routine. work all day with the same people, go for breakfast with them and then go for lunch with them. You wouldn't be allowed pop to the shop for lunch or anything like that. And you nearly have to sign a form and get it stamped by your manager to go to the toilet. You'd never let yourself be seen on your fone or answering calls or checking your personal emails. None of that allowed.(and i dont mean thats what i wanted to do) Anyone with a more prominent role look down on you.! I felt most people who work there are only there for the good wages and dont like going into work. It was a case of get in and get out and get home vibe.

I was glad i found an unlocked back gate one day and escaped. :D

Isn't alot of jobs like that, bar maybe the windowless environment and florescent lights.

I spend 12 hrs a day in my job, I see the same staff all day, have tea breaks and lunch with them, and I too cant leave the building, or been seen on my mobile. I'm employed by the company, paid by them, surely the least I could do is work for them.

I thought most work environments ran like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

irish-stew wrote: »
    Isn't alot of jobs like that, bar maybe the windowless environment and florescent lights.

I spend 12 hrs a day in my job, I see the same staff all day, have tea breaks and lunch with them, and I too cant leave the building, or been seen on my mobile. I'm employed by the company, paid by them, surely the least I could do is work for them.

I thought most work environments ran like that.

Thankfully not. Just reading this thread makes me even more thankful for the job I have. I obviously have so much freedom and flexibility in comparison.

I'm sure plenty of people would be only too delighted to avail of these jobs if they materialise though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

My above comments just wanted to highlight the type of working environment it is in Abbott and to make sure that when you choose any-job, you look away from pay etc from a few minutes and think about what your actual day will entail, office etc.... I was happy with my time there, but since iam in my current job it made me realise how regulated it was. I would describe it as Secondry School like nearly. Not allowed leave the building, no fones, people watching over your shoulders, square environment.

My current job, its the total opposite and i find iam much more happier@work and more productive as i work with out a shadow over my back all day.

Advertisement