Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving dog on his own

• 02-01-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Got a new pup a few weeks ago everything is going great flying with housetraining and crate training.

My problem is next week he will be left on his own for 4/5 hrs during the day for the first time.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to do this without distressing him or that he whines as I don't want the neighbours complaining

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Start training him today but leaving him in his crate for 10 min while you walk outside. Continue doing this multiple times a day to teach him that if he's left alone you do come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

When I took my puppy he was 11 weeks old and I had only few days holidays.
    I started the crate training from the first day.
    I bought the kong toys and a ball with treats inside and I started leaving him alone for few hours.
    I recorded him with my pc for the first week.
    He was crying a bit maybe after 30 minutes and stop.

To be honest I never left him in the crate. I think 4-5 hours in the crate are too much for a puppy.
    I leave him in the kitchen - puppy proof with his toys, the stuffed kong and the ball with his kibbles.
    I come home for lunch and bring him for a walk now, before we were playing half an hour and then back to work.
    He is doing great!!
    Good luck and kisses to your puppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Sorry should have added I won't be leaving him in his crate for this time, somewhere with more space

I will def start leaving him on his own for a few mins at a time a couple of times a day so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Sorry should have added I won't be leaving him in his crate for this time, somewhere with more space

I will def start leaving him on his own for a few mins at a time a couple of times a day so

Yep I think is better.. but that's my idea.
    I read around that many people leave the dog in the crate for hours... but I prefer to leave him in a room where he cannot destroy anything.

if you can record with your computer or something it's interesting to see how he is doing :)
    my dog was crying more when I was leaving him for few minutes to test than later with his treats :D

Advertisement