Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Blind Man beat me... must improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Young lad was doing a Scout triathlon so I drove. Yeah there's about 2k of brown trouser road there - no margin, blind bends, fast traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Young lad was doing a Scout triathlon so I drove. Yeah there's about 2k of brown trouser road there - no margin, blind bends, fast traffic.

Ha ha that's the spot I was never brave enough to run it, it's bad enough on the bike!!

Last week:
    2 x 6km
    1 x 10km

No real issues. Still adjusting to the orthotics. But delighted to be out again.

Doing plenty of gym in between the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Super. Good to see you back Ste.

Getting a few nice runs in lately but nothing worth rebooting this log! And I've signed up for Ironman 70.3 Dublin so it's more of a Triathlon training plan I have now... Gym/Swim/Runs with Bike to be added very soon just waiting on the wind to ease off a bit & evenings to brighten up. But I also plan on tackling the Dublin Marathon in October if all goes well. New Triathlon log to start soon will stick a link up here in a few days.

• Advertisement

Signed up for the Samsung 10K - first proper race in about 2 years!

Steroo wrote: »
    Signed up for the Samsung 10K - first proper race in about 2 years!

44:31 pb by 23 seconds ;)

Time to bring this thread back to life a little.

Ironman 70.3 Dublin completed on Sunday in 5:56 with a slightly disappointing run.

Next Goal: DCM 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Time to bring this thread back to life a little.

Ironman 70.3 Dublin completed on Sunday in 5:56 with a slightly disappointing run.

Next Goal: DCM 2015

Double jobbing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Steroo wrote:

Sure that's fantastic. How was it?

aquinn wrote: »
    Sure that's fantastic. How was it?

It was great. an unbelievably enjoyable day! Well organised & I'm still buzzing ;)

tang1 wrote: »
    Double jobbing!!

Call it a Sabbatical... ;)

Week ending 23/8

Mon; 5.5m 47mins
    Wed: 11.5m 1;38 mins

Missed the weekend long run

Week ending 30/8

Mon; 3.5m
    Tue; swim 1400m, gym - core and legs
    Wed: 11.1m 1;38 mins (cycle 20k and swim 600m also)
    Thurs:4 miles recovery - sore leg ;(

Sat :15.2 miles 9:10avg got progressively faster and could have went on ! Longest run in over 2 years

Running is a drug and I'm addicted again :)

I was doubting my marathon ability but not after this morning: Might finally break the 4 hours.

Total miles : 33.8 - most in over 2 years

This week is only half a week for me... been to gym twice for Leg/Core & had a swim & cycled to work. ONly 1 Run yesterday 11.5 Miles at avg 8:17 pace so I was happy with that. Off to Electric Picnic tomorrow so god knows when I'll be up for training again ;)

Sick as a pony for 2 weeks after Electic Picnic ;( Got out last Friday for 6 miles at Slow pace.

This Marathon is gonna be a disaster

How was EP for you?

Don't get too stressed about the training as long as you get back to wellness soon. You'll catch up.

How was EP for you?

Don't get too stressed about the training as long as you get back to wellness soon. You'll catch up.

It was pretty good Dilbert - were you there? But I'm getting too old for 3 days of drinking & little sleep & a lot of dancing ;)
    I think my immune system crashed cos I was in bed for a week with all sorts

Feel good again now but a bit unfit - but I'm sure a few weeks training should get me half ready.

You doing DCM?

It was pretty good Dilbert - were you there? But I'm getting too old for 3 days of drinking & little sleep & a lot of dancing ;)
    I think my immune system crashed cos I was in bed for a week with all sorts

Feel good again now but a bit unfit - but I'm sure a few weeks training should get me half ready.

You doing DCM?

I was there alright - had a ball but was pretty sensible: hardly any drinking, decent amount of sleeping, etc.

Not doing DCM but have two decent adventure races in the next few weeks - Killarney and Skibbereen. Looking forward to them, even though I won't set the world on fire.

• Advertisement

I was there alright - had a ball but was pretty sensible: hardly any drinking, decent amount of sleeping, etc.

Not doing DCM but have two decent adventure races in the next few weeks - Killarney and Skibbereen. Looking forward to them, even though I won't set the world on fire.

So you're a Garda is that it? ;)
    I envy your sense - my problem is I went with my younger brother who is a live wire - but I lived to regret it. kids are coming next time as insurance.

Good luck in your Adventure Races - I will definitely move in that direction next year for a while. And we all know it's not about setting the world on fire! Enjoy

So you're a Garda is that it? ;)

No but when i was watching Florence 3 teenagers tried to convince me I must be - presumably because I was too old and sober to be there for the craic. Was very Life of Brian - "only a Guard would deny being a Guard..."

No but when i was watching Florence 3 teenagers tried to convince me I must be - presumably because I was too old and sober to be there for the craic. Was very Life of Brian - "only a Guard would deny being a Guard..."

ha ha the paranoia was kicking in!

I was hanging out with a few hippies at Body & Soul 2 years ago & doing bold things & then they pulled out a badge ;(

Anyways got a nice 4 mile jog in this morning & I'm planning 20 for Sunday morning - save me jesus

Today - 20.1 miles 9:15 avg with a head cold ;( slow but happy to have this monkey off my back

Longest run in 2.5 years by far and considering that I didn't feel too bad, few dark moments toward the end!

Took 2 gels and got a few mild cramps

Sub 4 might be attainable - but I haven't done the training so won't be upset if it's 4.xx

11 miles home from work today avg 8:15
    Happy with pace but legs were still tender after Sunday's run
    Off to the canaries next week for rest ;)

Holidays was good - did no running. Couldn't face a long run yesterday ;(
    Did 4 miles this morning just to loosen out... felt so stiff and slow!
    I just want this marathon out of the way now.
    Hopefully after 2 weeks of a few decent runs, no drink & a good diet I'll be able for it.

Run home from work 11.6m at 7:58 avg

Fairly wiped out afterwards

How does that compare with your pmp?

I've not decided my pmp... Might head out behind 3:30 pacers and see

Maybe 8:30 pace be ideal

Just wanna come in under 4

• Advertisement

You doing it?

You doing it?

Nope!

If you "just" want to come in under 4.00, and you don't sound like you feel prepared, why would you kill yourself with 8:30 pace when 9:00 will do nicely? And why would you run however many miles at 8:00 two weeks before and compromise your confidence?

Nope!

If you "just" want to come in under 4.00, and you don't sound like you feel prepared, why would you kill yourself with 8:30 pace when 9:00 will do nicely? And why would you run however many miles at 8:00 two weeks before and compromise your confidence?

I'm outta touch with what I should be doing to be honest

I wanted a bit of time in the bank for the last few miles as I felt apart at mile 18 in 2012

I'm outta touch with what I should be doing to be honest

I wanted a bit of time in the bank for the last few miles as I felt apart at mile 18 in 2012

We'll have to get Meno and CM back on the case! :D

Better off sticking with the slowest pace that'll get you your target until maybe 21 or 22 and tear it out of it for the last 4 or 5 if you have the legs and lungs. No surer way to blow up early than to go out too fast.

We'll have to get Meno and CM back on the case! :D

Better off sticking with the slowest pace that'll get you your target until maybe 21 or 22 and tear it out of it for the last 4 or 5 if you have the legs and lungs. No surer way to blow up early than to go out too fast.

Yea ok:// I was getting greedy too
    And running fast to compensate for holidays last week

Thanks -

12.3m this morning 9:08 avg
    Really struggled to get up in the dark,
    Felt tired, thirsty, and stiff. Shoulda went to bed earlier and skipped the bottle of cider

Dug out my HR monitor yesterday to establish what pace I should really be aiming for. Hasn't been used since '13 but it was fine and synced with new watch :)

Soleus was tender for the whole run - had to stretch at mile 2. Physio appointment needed to tackle this as usual.

HR was around 149 at the steady pace around 9:00 so that tells me I should be OK to aim a bit higher on the day. I went up two small hills and it rose to 160

Resting HR this morning was 60 which was higher than I expected, it used to be as low as 45. I'll check again during the week.

• Advertisement

Resting HR this morning 43 - phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem a bit up and down Stephen, depending on your last run! :)
    My advice fwiw would be to go out at 4 hour pace and dial it up at 20 miles if you're feeling good. You probably have a good base from the triathlon specific stuff you've been doing, but I'm not sure you've the running specific work done to go out hard and get away with it. What did your last 5/6 weeks look like mileage wise?

Spot on Beef. up and down. Mileage hasn't been high at all 30/20 miles... holidays...

But I'm going to take the chance & see what happens. I haven't invested much in this & it's not my goal race. I did 20 at 9.14 and was grand afterwards so I think I could go a bit faster & might get away with it... or might not.

Good to see you are running Monday. your log is all quiet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Good stuff - you'll know better than us how you are feeling in any case! Haven't had time to be logging a whole pile to be honest, although that's a bit of a cop out - I could have found it if I wanted to. It gets a bit tedious after a while I suppose! :) Not tedious enough to try triathlon mind you. :pac: I haven't done any more miles for Dublin than I did for Manchester last year, I'm hoping I'm just a bit faster a year later and I can take 10 minutes off my time.

Oh and don't go running all your miles this week at MP, whatever that is!

Quiet enough week... Physio MOnday for a Rub down - a lot less pain than usual.
    Tue 40 Min swim 1150m
    Wed Cycled to work 40km total. Hip Opening Yoga at home in the evening - worth doing every now & then!
    Thu 4 mile run at 9 min pace. Back was in a spasm all day (sick 18 month old needed a lot of lifting & carrying)... rolled around on a tennis ball - good relief.
    today I'll go for a swim at lunch - nice & easy. Heading away in the CAravan this eve until Sunday morning. Marathon Bag is packed. Just need my number & chip.
    Think I'll head out behind the 3:50 pacers & play it by ear

• Advertisement

Good luck Monday dude, forget that Darkside stuff, this is where the fun is. Enjoy it.

Enjoy Monday S - hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to see ya back at the start line! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck tomorrow S. Just forget the bad runs and go out and give it your all. Looks like the weather might hold off, so hopefully you'll get around dry.

3:57 happy as a pig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ah that's a brilliant time! Great stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

3:57 happy as a pig

Nice work S . Well done!

Great stuff Stephen, all that mad cycling and swimming training stood to you, well done.

Well done lad - was watching out for you but there were millions of people running....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely brilliant. Well done. I'd say conditions weren't ideal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement