Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films/Documentaries about Running

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Four Minutes is available on Netflix, the story of Roger Bannister's sub-4 minute mile.

Saw that recently and it wasn't bad for a bit of light entertainment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://vimeo.com/85677240
    Going the Distance is an award-winning short documentary about a running-addict who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Maurice Mullins was once an ultra distance runner and is now undergoing chemotherapy. His disease has meant that he has lost his lifelong passion, but his determination to compete again in a sport that he loves drives him to face his darkest days with optimism and humour.

Maurice’s story is a simple one - he just wants to run again. Through this straight narrative the film explores how he draws parallels between his years of sports training to how he copes with undergoing chemotherapy. The film brings the viewer face to face with the question of how we will respond when confronted with adversity, with our own mortality and with the loss of our greatest love or passion.

The filmmaker is Maurice’s daughter and in just 12 minutes the audience gets a glimpse of many sides of the one man; the runner, the philosopher, the father, the friend and the entertainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Cabaal wrote: »

Thanks for sharing that. Maurice was a maths teacher where I went to secondary school and as can be seen from the video a bit eccentric. It seemed so strange back in the 80's for someone to run into work everyday and I remember him running past the school on one of his Belfast-dublin runs as well.

I'd heard he hadn't been well in recent years but good to see him still fighting away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Just watched this:

It is worth watching just for the vertigo inducing action shots from the head cam.
    The scenery is as always the main star, not so much a movie about running but more an insight into what makes some people tick, and to be fair Emelie Forsberg is a bit of a hottie as well. As with the last installment it is really all about him, but he does come across as someone who just loves being out and about.

Alos got to watch but it's only okay:

It is full of great scenery and again a bit of a biography, not a bad watch just didn't seem to engage me as much as I had thought. Alos, if your fingers a feicin numb with the cold put on a t-shirt Hippy! :D:D

Also caught up with the ESPN one about doping in the 100mtr final, another good watch, thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I know it was previously mentioned but I thought I would throw up a link having just watched it. Truly remarkable story about an inspirational man.

Run For Your Life:

http://www.popcornflix.com/Run-For-Your-Life/62b9ff98-2995-4f7e-8fb3-c9c5bfcafd4f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Saw the DVD pass by the counter but didn't get a chance to see it yet.

Running For Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

b.harte wrote: »
    Just watched this:

It is worth watching just for the vertigo inducing action shots from the head cam.
    The scenery is as always the main star, not so much a movie about running but more an insight into what makes some people tick, and to be fair Emelie Forsberg is a bit of a hottie as well. As with the last installment it is really all about him, but he does come across as someone who just loves being out and about.

Alos got to watch but it's only okay:

It is full of great scenery and again a bit of a biography, not a bad watch just didn't seem to engage me as much as I had thought. Alos, if your fingers a feicin numb with the cold put on a t-shirt Hippy! :D:D

Also caught up with the ESPN one about doping in the 100mtr final, another good watch, thanks for the recommendation.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTAyNzExOTgw.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

There is one I watched on Netflix the other day called Town Of Runners. It was quite good.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2108648/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Advertisement
Advertisement