Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overstayed Oz visa, will it affect me for NZ?

Options
  • 02-01-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Last year i stupidly overstayed my visa by 6months in oz. I was on a working holiday 12month visa and stayed 18. I've been kicking myself ever since. I had nothing to come home to but family circumstances changed and had to. They pulled me up at airport on the way out n asked few questions n said i may not get back in the next 3 yrs if i apply.

I'm thinking now of applying for a new zealand visa, and will probably get it granted ok but when getting to immigrations over there could be a different story.

Does anyone have any experience in this or know anything i would greatly appreciate it. And before anyone says it, i know it serves me right if i cant go over.

thanks again

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't see why as they're different countries.

The fact that they said that you "may" not get in if you apply to do so in the next three years would indicate that it's not a major problem.

Maybe other people will have different situations but I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

Well they said id have questions to answer if i were to try australia again, i know that oz is out the window.

i'm just curious because they're both part of the commonwealth and they'd have alot of ties with each other. I just dont wanna get there n be sent turning on my heel straight away! i know canada is much stricter and thats why i've written that idea off!

someone's actually just suggested i contact the embassy n just chat to them about it which mightn't be a bad idea.

thanks for the reply cat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Sorry that I don't have much advice but I think the best thing is to ring nz immigration and just ask them. No point in travelling all that way to be sent back home and waste over a grand on flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

jkell061 wrote: »
    Well they said id have questions to answer if i were to try australia again, i know that oz is out the window.

i'm just curious because they're both part of the commonwealth and they'd have alot of ties with each other. I just dont wanna get there n be sent turning on my heel straight away! i know canada is much stricter and thats why i've written that idea off!

someone's actually just suggested i contact the embassy n just chat to them about it which mightn't be a bad idea.

thanks for the reply cat

Long shot but did you have any luck in getting info on this? Kinda in a similar situation and would be interested in hearing how you got on. Cheers

Advertisement